RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Bog Pod & Flintlock shooting

Banned

Bog Pod & Flintlock shooting

GORGEOUS TODAY! Warmed up to 60* with a very slight breeze, sun beating down HOT to the point you got itchy. Felt great to get out shooting!

I wanted to practice some hunting situation shooting and being out of percussion caps ( Just got a couple tins today from the local store) I took out my Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal Flintlock.

70gr Olde Eynsford, .020" patch lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & patch lube, .490" round balls and 1/2" x 5/8" French Amber flints. Man that load was great!

I used the bog pod that I got for Christmas and it works! I mainly use it as a camera tripod, but the shooting rest attachment works nice and is easy to change out. I could get used to using this for hog hunting or when I plan on deer hunting over water holes.

Shot 70 yards using the bog pod for the rifle and my right leg for arm support.

First 2 shots and then the rest for a total of 8 shots.

Now the cool stuff! I ended up pulling both balls out ( only 1 ball pictured ) you could see the patch material, where it had embedded into the soft lead. Remember, I load the super rough side of the patch towards the rifling because it does a better job cleaning the fouling while I reload.

Look closely and you'll see the patch weave, pressed into the soft lead ball. That sucker really grips the ball! These are the Bridgers Best patches.

Just a simple pic of the bog pod. I like it, but I'll need to do a lot more shooting off it to decide if its worth carrying around in the mountains on a hunt.

Boolit Master
    awesome shooting. Wish my 54 renegade would group that well.............. maybe I just need more practice.

Banned

Why did you have to pull two balls?

Banned
    double loaded. Because I use .59cal patches, I was worried about the extra powder I could not get out. Just easier on your nerves removing both balls and reloading with fresh patched ball with no powder sitting on top.