Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: OK something new 45-70 Question

OK something new 45-70 Question

Hello all. I have been studying the 45-70 cartridge and firearm for long range for about 5 years. I have built my first rifle in .30 WCF from scratch (Check out my thread on special projects) that I took around 3 years of studying to gather information about how to do it, now I want to build a long range 45-70. The question is about rate of twist, number of grooves and barrel length. All of my research has led me to a 28"- 30" barrel with a 3 groove 1:18" twist. What would be your suggestion? I plan on this being a 45-70/80-500 Lead boolit load in a 2.4" case. Thanks in advance for any input.

Boolit Buddy

1:16 is a fabulous twist for the 45-70. Green mountain also makes a great barrel but the 45-70 is a 2.1" case. A 2.4" case would be a 45-90

If you are intrested in the long range shooting of the 45-70 You should read this it is lengthy and is the best information I have found on long range Shooting for the 45-70. http://usarmorment.com/pdf/45-70.pdf
    Are you basing your recommendation on a lever action or a single shot falling block? My rifle will be based on a falling block design. Thank you for the input.

Boolit Buddy

I am basin it off my own experience with my c sharps highwall. Although I have not shot 1000 yards with it I shoot it a good bit out to 550 yards in bpcr silhouette competition It loves a 540 grain creedmoor bullet and on paper at 200 yards will shoot under an Moa routinely. Like I said I have not shot it out to 1000 but I do know people who do shoot and love the fact the the 1:16 twist in a 45-70 allows a person to shoot long heavy bullets at distance. Trapdoors like the ones that were tested in the link you posted have a 1:22 twist. Pretty slow by today's standards but 1:18 would be alright The 1:16 will allow you to shoot slightly longer and heavier bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the information it will be very useful. The long range Springfield rifle that they were using had a 33" barrel with a 3 groove and 1:18 twist and this is what I have based my observations on, thus why the questions, looking for all of the knowledge that I can get From real experience with the cartridge an rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Right and it was a 45-80. Had a longer case than the 45-70. Standard trapdoor 45-70 has a 1:22 twist but based on those tests Springfield adopted that projectile for their 45-70 in 1881 and in 1884 started making rifles with sights that would calibrate with the new bullet but kept for 1:22 twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Both my 45 cal BPCR rifles are 1-18 twist and stabilize a 550 grn Old West Bullet. One is 45-70 with a pedersoli barrel and the other is 45-90( 2.4"case) and green mountain barrel. I believe the chamber, throat, and leade are more important to an accurate rifle. But the 3 groove barrel is interesting. Also Kriegers is making an Alexander Henry rifling form blank now in 1-18 and 1-16 twists, I believe it is 6 groove.

Great Information from all Thank you. Does any one have any experience or comments on PAC-NOR and McGowen barrel quality?

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Mc Gowen on My High Wall in 38-55 that's a accurate easy to clean barrel

Pac Nor and McGowen are top shelf barrels