RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Long Range Rifle Sights In Canada

Guy La Pourque

Long Range Rifle Sights In Canada

Well fellas - I just got 'er home: A Pedersoli roller in .45-70! I ordered it off the internet and she is one heavy rifle!!! But oh lord, she's pretty!

Fixed sights, front and rear. That is a problem. The second problem is I live in Canada. There's a few BPCR geeks around but not many and I need some top line sights for this gun. I really want a soule sight but I need to find a distributor that ships to Canada or one on this side of the border. Do you boys have any suggestions?

If so - please let me know...!

Cheers

Jimmy

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Red River Sights (no affiliation to me).

Contact Sergio Pustogrodsky (Winnipeg, Mb): splawco@mymts.net

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

What RRR said. Wise beyond his years.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Banned

congrats on getting a Great rifle! i use lee shaver super grade micrometer soule hadley cup tang and spirit globe front sights on all my rolling block and sharps rifles. just under $500 for both - excellent quality and functionality. already sent a set to shiloh for the new sporter #1 sharps.

on my favorite roller, the pedersoli adobe walls 45-70 ...

MVA ships to Canada( 1st choice but mine took almost 3 months) , Buffalo Arms also ships up here. ( I got a Kelley from them, not as perfect as the MVA but very nice ) I also have a used Red River sight ( also very nice sight , quite different in the elevation adjustment. Lee Shaver also ships north but I would not pick the economy sight because the detent spring looks too close to the cheapy ( $80) pedersoli sights. I Have one of the nicer pedersoli sights too but they are so close to the same cost as the MVA and Kelley, those you can get from Brownells or Track of the Wolfe no problem.
    ment

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Grand Master

You also might try MVA ( Montana Vintage Arms) they may ship to Canada. Have to ask them. I several of their sights and they are good also. A spirit level front globe , soule rear close range mid range or long range depends on the distances you want to shoot, and a base for the rear sight. You also need to know the width of the front sight dovetail to order the correct front globe. A blank to fit the slot for the rear sight is nice also.

Guy La Pourque
    Well thanks a bunch fellas!

I have inquiries in but now you got me thinking... I figured a sight was a sight was a sight but some of you seem to have preferences. I saw the Kelly soule sights and fell in love with them because of the colour case hardened finish and the brass... are they a good sight or is there a consensus on what's best...?

Banned

i see (and feel) nothing special about the kelly's other than their added cost. mva's are VERY popular. dunno anything about the russian red river's but they do have a goodly following. i'd still take the lee shaver super grade setup, rear and front.

Banned
    Our idiot Commerce Department has blocked the shipment of scopes to Canada due to all the terrorist training facilities there. Guess they have not figgered out most terrorist rifles have iron sights !

Boolit Master
    Call MVA directly if you want a really good sight. They definitely ship to Canada. I've bought plenty of their sights.

Chris.

Ron Heilman in California. His are Soule sights but better than most I've seen and as good as the rest. His price is easy too.

I've a set on my Pedersoli 45-70 Roller as well as my Pedersoli 1885 High Wall 38-55. Three or four folks at my range have ordered his sights also and love them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Does anyone know whether Sergio Pustogrodsky is still in the sight business? I can’t find anything newer than about four years old. He got one run of Maynard’s higher grade tang sights back when he was dba “Parts Unknown” but I never was able to get one. I’d like to touch base now and see what is available.

TIA ~ Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Ron Heilman in California. His are Soule sights but better than most I've seen and as good as the rest. His price is easy too.

I've a set on my Pedersoli 45-70 Roller as well as my Pedersoli 1885 High Wall 38-55. Three or four folks at my range have ordered his sights also and love them.
    Ron Heilman isn't in California. He's near Tacoma, Washington. Not sure he can ship to Canada. He's not a big business, just a one man show building fantastic sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Does anyone know whether Sergio Pustogrodsky is still in the sight business? I can’t find anything newer than about four years old. He got one run of Maynard’s higher grade tang sights back when he was dba “Parts Unknown” but I never was able to get one. I’d like to touch base now and see what is available.

TIA ~ Froggie
    I know the 9-11 restrictions killed his US sales, and I've not heard much either to confirm if he's still in business. His Hungarian maker also had issues importing sights to Canada back then, so that added to troubles.

Boolit Master
    I like Lee Shavers, have 2 of them, may order another one soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I know the 9-11 restrictions killed his US sales, and I've not heard much either to confirm if he's still in business. His Hungarian maker also had issues importing sights to Canada back then, so that added to troubles.
    I used to travel to Hungary every year or so. I wish I had known that was where they were coming from and I would have tried to track one down... I brought East German- made Zeiss cameras back, so a novelty like a tang sight should have been no problem. Bulk imports OTOH can be challenging!

Koger, I had one of the Soule-style upgrades Shaver used to do on the cheap Italian sights. It worked pretty well on one of my high walls until it got handled too roughly and the solder joint broke.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Koger, I had one of the Soule-style upgrades Shaver used to do on the cheap Italian sights. It worked pretty well on one of my high walls until it got handled too roughly and the solder joint broke.

Froggie
    I bought a Shaver soule sight off ASSRA a couple years ago because the seller's picture showed the staff broken off the soule base. It wasn't the Italian sight, but one of Lee's own making. I figured at $75 it was worth a try, so I called Lee to see if he would fix it. He told me they had some failures with those early sights at the solder joint, whether they were his, or his modifications. Too soft a silver solder, so they switched and it solved the problem.
    He fixed mine quickly and it cost me $35 plus S&H. It's been a good sight, and seems to be holding up fine with the new repair.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Vall, if I can find where I stashed it, I guess I’ll get in touch with him about a repair. For the price it was a really nice addition to my high wall musket that had been equipped with a Green Mtn barrel in 45-70 for BPCS. As I said, it was probably rough handling on my part that caused the break, but the soft solder joint may well have contributed to the failure too.

I really would have liked to get one of Sergio’s repros of the top grade Maynard sight though. AFAIK he was the only one who marketed a copy of that unique rack and pinion tang sight design. Using one on my 1873 Maynard #8 in 40-40 probably a silk purse/sow’s ear situation, but I’d love to do it!

Froggie