Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size feed wire for outbuilding

How big of an out building are you talking about??? have seen guys build a 100 X 100 and have very little in outlets in it,and have seen guys build 10 X 10 and have twice as much inside it. You need to think about what type equipment you are going to use in the building now and posibly in the future. Then and only then can anyone figure what you need for a load center and wire to match. I don't know what your tallents are so I can tell you what DIY you can do. You have been given some good advice to just hire the wiring done and the electrician will fix you up. Yers you can save a few bucks by possibly doing the trenching and the conduit provided the electrician will agree. Good luck with whichever way you go.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

The building is 12x 24, I've got friends that are contractors so that part is covered. I've got either 6 or 8 outlets (I don't recall the exact number). I asked the forum as I was getting told different opinions. Thank you for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    The building is 12x 24, I've got friends that are contractors so that part is covered. I've got either 6 or 8 outlets (I don't recall the exact number). I asked the forum as I was getting told different opinions. Thank you for the feedback.

So now you have an additional 18 or so internet opinions, worth pretty much exactly what you paid for them, and still no clear answer.

Do yourself a favor and hire a competent electrician.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    So now you have an additional 18 or so internet opinions, worth pretty much exactly what you paid for them, and still no clear answer.

Jerry
    This is what I would do as well as have him pull an extra cable. It cost more but it's awful nice years down the road when the one your on goes bad and you can just unhook it and hook the other one up and be back in business .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post

Jerry
    The last sentence is a good idea. That's what you've got.....internet opinions. I am an electrician, teach the NEC and it's practical applications at the local community college, sit on the local apprenticeship board, and have been doing so for quite some time. Some of these answers aren't quite right, and no, I'm not gonna get into a fight and tell you which ones. If you want to do this yourself, employ the services of a contractor and ask what you can do to help cut costs. I doubt he'll be willing to stick his neck out and give you advice. I sure wouldn't. Yep, this is just another internet opinion.

Boolit Master

Remember you'll want to go at least 1/2 size larger on your conduit because a 100' of wire is going to be hard to pull through it, and no more than 4 bends,look for long sweep 90's aka elbows,if possible you want to come into your sub-panel from the bottom or back with out a turn( makes wiring easier) what size breaker do you have on your service,to feed your sub-panel, your wire size needs to be sized by the load and feeder. Most likely THHN #4/4/6/8 will handle it.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Thank you to all that posted, I don't intend to do anything unsafe and if I have to get a licensed contractor I will. Most of the people on this forum are DIY types (so it seems) and I doubt that many of you would not think that you couldn't do this yourself. I asked for help here as I've found a lot of experienced people on this forum willing to help someone out. I appreciate the help that has been offered, and will get this done. Thanks again.
    Last edited by RKJ; 01-31-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Banned

Electrical work isn't a black science. Its pretty basic. Just do it right and don't cut corners. You sure don't need a 100 dollar an hour contractor to do something as simple as you plan. Best advice though is to go and see your local inspector and discuss it with him, find out whats code in your area and use that as a minimum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    A 6 circuit box is probably rated at 70 amps. A few are rated 100 amps. Thats the max that it can carry, not what you have to supply it with. If this was mine, I would consider 3 #4 copper wires in 1-1/4 inch conduit fed with a 60 or 70 amp breaker and drive a ground rod at the building to ground the panel. Go schedule 80 pvc above ground and schedule 40 below ground. This would do most anything that most would want to do in a home workshop. This would run your heating/ac unit and lights, plus a welding machine, air compressor, most any power tool and most any bench tool. Maybe not all at once.

If you want to go bigger, 3 #2 copper wires would most likely do more than you would ever want, fed with a 100 amp breaker. They would fit in the 1-1/4 conduit but I would probably bump it up to 1-1/2 inch just to make the pull easier. You could use aluminum to save some money but I recommend against it. With aluminum, bump it up at least one wire size to get the same amp rating. This may require a size bigger conduit also. My offer is still good if you want to PM me. I did this for nearly 40 years and my advice is free!

I can't argue with the advice to hire an electrical, but at least you know what to ask for.
    Im a journeyman electrician and this is what I would do for myself.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

cant argue much with that post either other then that going from copper to aluminum usually means jumping up 2 sizes. #6 copper will replace #2 aluminum and #4 copper would replace 1/0 aluminum

Boolit Master
    Maybe hard to find underground rated COPPER.

Under ground THHN , maybe if they have changed it but the old THHN rating is not for use in underground conduct.

UF OR USE2 , older was USE rating .

I seen AL in the ground for many years with no trouble.

The electric company is coming out next week to replace the fuse box that is on the pole right now for a CB type (100 Amp) and then I've got to dig the trench and get it installed. Hopefully by the end of the month it'll be wired. I forgot to mention the size of the shed, it's only 12x24 and will be more of a reloading room than a true shop. Thank you all again for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12