WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Any one shoot a 46" 32cal muzzleloader.

Boolit Master

Any one shoot a 46" 32cal muzzleloader.

Im thinking about a kit that is 46" 32 cal. Just wondering if it may be a problem. I would mostly use a range rod for loading.
    Last edited by GARD72977; 01-29-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that the barrel or the rifle length? It seems long for a .32 barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot one of these,no problems ,very accurate,loads easy.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/popup_image.php?pID=2024

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see any problems with it out of the ordinary or the obvious. Some people don't like the long barrels. It could be pretty heavy depending on the barrel diameter. I have two that are 39". One is modern replica DGW and is well balanced. The other is an old original and 1 1/8" and weighs a ton. I'd hate to lug it around but it still is a shooter. Clover leafs at 25y.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    It would be an A weight swamoed barrel. Should be light enough.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It shouldn't be any more of an issue in pushing the patched ball home than a 42" barrel. If it is a swamped barrel, it should have a good balance to it.

Msny years ago, when I was over at the offhand range to shoot at Friendship, I saw a guy bull a rifle he had just completed out of the back of his station wagon to show off. I don't know who he was and when I walked over to take a gander at it, I overheard him say he had just finished it and he had made the barrel. It was along the lines of a lightweight full stock "squirrel rifle" and that thing had a 72" barrel on it! I never got to see him shoot it but I imagine he made it for fun and possible to do some over the log shooting. If I remember right, it was about a .40 caliber.

Today, most barrels are around 42" due to the availability of what is out there but longer barreled rifles certainly existed and over the years, I have seen quite a number of them in smaller calibers that had 44" - 46" oa a tad longer in length.

When you get it built - I hope you'll post some photos of it - ought to be a great rifle. Nothing sweeter than a well balanced rifle with a swamped barrel.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    It shouldn't be any more of an issue in pushing the patched ball home than a 42" barrel. If it is a swamped barrel, it should have a good balance to it.

Msny years ago, when I was over at the offhand range to shoot at Friendship, I saw a guy bull a rifle he had just completed out of the back of his station wagon to show off. I don't know who he was and when I walked over to take a gander at it, I overheard him say he had just finished it and he had made the barrel. It was along the lines of a lightweight full stock "squirrel rifle" and that thing had a 72" barrel on it! I never got to see him shoot it but I imagine he made it for fun and possible to do some over the log shooting. If I remember right, it was about a .40 caliber.

Today, most barrels are around 42" due to the availability of what is out there but longer barreled rifles certainly existed and over the years, I have seen quite a number of them in smaller calibers that had 44" - 46" oa a tad longer in length.

When you get it built - I hope you'll post some photos of it - ought to be a great rifle. Nothing sweeter than a well balanced rifle with a swamped barrel.

That sounds like old Ray Miller out of Kansas City. He made some that were so long, he would tie them to the rack on top of the vehicle to transport them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I have an original barrel converted from flint that is 46" long. It came off a southern style rifle and from the remains of the stock the gun was over 5 foot when complete. Since it was used from flint to percussion till there was very little left of the stock I would guess that it worked OK. By the way the barrel was 7/8 across the flats to a full 1" at the breech and the remains weighed in at over 10 pounds.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I built a 46" 32 cal Many years ago: it was very accurate but a pain in the A to shoot well without cleaning between shots! Sent it to Bobby Hoyt and had it rebored to 40 cal! Now it is a real shooter! Clean every 15 shots with natural lube & Far more accurate!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I have a pile of .32. The biggest drawback I see would be weight. You WILL get tired of an 11 lb squirrel gun quickly.