Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small dental lead score

Boolit Master
    I hope we have a dental tech or dentist on the board.

Doesn't the lead foil get peeled off before it goes into the mouth to be exposed to x-rays? I wouldn't think that the medical profession would actually put LEAD in someone's mouth and say it's ok to do it!

Boolit Buddy

That exactly what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    That exactly what it looks like.
    agreed throw it in a pot and melt it all down the non lead will burn off . About 6 years ago I traded my oral seurgeon a few teeth for a nice big box of those ! Lol think he won out on the deal !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine tested a little over 8 BHN.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Living on my little mountain top in rural Reno, NV
    I just finished stripping several hundred unopened dental film packs, and realized how much nicer it's been for me to simply accept the donations from the dental assistance students to the bullet gods down here in the man-cave/dungeon/Parking Tech/HazMat office I share in my little corner of Libtardia (local city college).

Someday maybe I'll find out how much the bushels of compressed foil weigh, just for giggles. Gotta love free lead!

P.S. The long closed printing/grahic arts program managed to "donate" something in excess of 200 lbs of virgin lino-type to me, for eventual sacrifice to those bullet gods.

Boolit Master
    BNE tested some dental foil for me a while back.

Pb 96.2
    Sb 2.1
    Sn 1.7

Essentially 96-2-2.

Boolit Master
    think how much the denist made on the xrays weighed a few they where 11 grs each
    so it takes 39 of them for just 1 oz!! 624 films per 1 lb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I hope we have a dental tech or dentist on the board.

Doesn't the lead foil get peeled off before it goes into the mouth to be exposed to x-rays? I wouldn't think that the medical profession would actually put LEAD in someone's mouth and say it's ok to do it!

I've typed up several responses, but I really don't know how to respond to this post.

Best I can do is say "google dental xray film." Everything is contained, no Pb exposure.

Lead, symbol Pb, for the Latin "plumbum," from which we get the words plumber and plumbing. See last years news about lead pipes in Flint, Michigan. Those lead pipes delivered clean water for years, till somebody screwed up. It ain't a boogeyman.
    Last edited by scottfire1957; 02-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Ok guys, I'm a dentist so I hope this is helpful. The lead foil is inside the plastic film packet, it is next to the film and used to minimize the radiation exposure to the body (X-ray machine to tooth to film to finally the lead where it is supposed to stopped by the lead film). After exposure the film packet is opened the the film is removed to be developed. The plastic packet is discarded (thrown away) and usually the lead foil also. Except at my office where they are gathered and smelted into ingots for casting later. I am too old to go digital (may retire soon) but the other dentists are going digital so it is only a matter of time. The dentist who said that he cannot give them to you for privacy reasons means that he must be a caster also and is hoarding them for himself! And before any of you ask, I just ran out of foils and can't help you out.

Boolit Bub
    Basically pure. Good find, none of the dentists in my area use it anymore, all digital.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've never scored any dental film, but most of the Guys here find it to be harder than pure. As far as any germs go, I would not expect anything to have a very long life once its away from its host (human body). Maybe someone in the medical field could comment on this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    That is correct. However, in the process of opening the packet, the technician has to pull the packet apart to get to the film. I'm sure there is some contact with the outside of the packet and the lead. It's just a precaution.

I've pulled more of those packets apart than ten dentists combined.

Yes mine were gunned and I reported them here as I recall they were sort of like 50/50 COWW/Plain plus some tin. Great stuff to cast with but many will have a thin plastic or adhesive on them so they smoke some when melting. They are definitely a place for wearing nitrile gloves when handling, they are pealed from the film before the film goes into someone's mouth BUT no one was concerned about contaminating the peal off lead so me I would consider them contaminated waste until I sterilized at around 650* in my ingot pot.

I think some of the dead soft comments are regarding lead shielding for x-ray rooms, that is dead soft plain if not pure lead.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12