Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: For thought and meditation

Boolit Master

For thought and meditation

Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

—Colossians 3:2

You may have heard the expression, "Don't be so heavenly minded that you're of no earthly good." However, I know a lot of people who are so earthly minded, they're of no heavenly good. The fact is, we need to be heavenly minded.

Those who think the most about the next life do the most in this one. To be heavenly minded doesn't mean being disconnected with reality. It's simply recognizing that life on earth has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

The apostle Paul wrote to the believers in Colosse, "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth" (Colossians 3:1–2).

The phrase "set your mind" speaks of a diligent act of single-minded investigation. A simple way to translate it is, "Think about Heaven," or more simply, "Think Heaven." I like that. The verb is in the present tense, which means, "Keep thinking about and keep seeking Heaven." Our feet must be on the earth, but our minds should be in Heaven. Yet many of us will go through a day, sometimes a week, and perhaps even a month, without a single thought about Heaven.

We don't know when this life will end. We recognize there is an afterlife. There is future reward for believers and a future judgment for those who do not believe. That affects us in the way we live now.

If you really believe there is a future judgment, you're not going to do whatever you want. It will motivate you to do good things and godly things if you believe there are future rewards. Thinking about Heaven should affect us in the way we live today.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

I have heard it said that some Christians do not really believe God is omnipresent. If they did, they would not do some of the things they do.

Boolit Master

Amen, Our thoughts should be of heavenly things especially our Lord who died for us.

I don't mean to be contentious, but I "deserve" nothing, not a reward, nor salvation, not eternal life. My Salvation is by the Grace of God and the blood of my Lord. I dedicate my life to Him and fall short every time. I am a sinner, but I am saved. "I was lost, but now I'm found. I was blind, but now I see." Thank you Jesus.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Moderator Emeritus

Great lesson. So often, all of us get caught up in the concerns and tribulations of this world. The true believer who is set with his concerns on God, is nearly as comfortable in the midst of dissension and any amount or kind of evil as he is when sitting in Church. Not many reach that level of assurance. It's really not in most of our natures to do that. But as Christians, we MUST always return to our center, and do it as quickly as possible, or we'll wind up following some red herring off into the darkness, and wind up serving Satan rather than God. We are SO easily led, when our emotions are involved!

And that, I think, is WHY it's so crucial to keep our minds on God and Heaven and righteousness. We all fail from time to time. Recovery and redemption is available if we'll just pray for forgiveness AND change our ways, or at least, diligently TRY to. Growth in Christ is a process, not a destiny. Our free will is what makes it such a difficult process for so many. God gave us life, and everything we have, so all that is truly and rightfully His. Our free wills is the only thing that's truly ours, and if we don't keep our minds on Christ, Satan WILL lure us away by some method or temptation or another. And he's a VERY crafty and supernatural being, too! How "interesting" and challenging it is to be a Christian!