RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lyman Tru-line Junior 7/8-14 die plate

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Tru-line Junior 7/8-14 die plate

Some time back, someone was manufacturing a replacement turret for the Tru-Line Jr. They were listed on Evil Bay, and if I remember they were $90. Then they were gone.

Fast forward to about a year ago. Natescustoms2012 on Evil Bay had a bunch for sale for about $70 or best price. The price kept going down, I delayed buying until one day I noticed that there were only 3 left. So I bought 2. Then they were gone.

I noticed today, natescustoms2012, has another batch listed on Evil Bay. This time $40.

Seems cheap enough, are they any good.

Here's my independent review:

According to the description they are made of 6061 T6, to me they seemed a bit softer than that because one had a few shipping dings.

I mounted the first one on my press. I couldn't get the detent ball to seat deep enough, so I shortened the spring. Interestingly, on my other press, the second turret mounted OK, the hole was deeper, no need to shorten the spring. With the changes to accommodate 7/8 dies, the metal at the detent spring location gets a little close to the mounting surface.

Neither turret indexed exactly the same as the one I removed, and I noticed that each hole seemed to index a wee bit differently. The original Lyman had the same malady. My solution; label each hole, CMR, DA, EC etc. and adjust/set the index exactly for the CMR die. This works well, and with each hole marked, the CMR or sizing die is always in the indexed hole.

With the new plate indexed, I installed a set of 44 Mag dies and had at it. One thing I did notice was that the 7/8-14 holes are machined a bit large, I would prefer a tighter fit for the dies. The aluminum held up well, no issues, it must be 6061 T6. After adjusting the top bolt, I ran the turret through multiple operations, and the turret tension remained constant.

At $40, it is a cost effective and useful upgrade.

Last edited by nitro-express; 03-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.

I grabbed one of the early ones and it's steel not aluminum, paid $50.00 off e-bay. I was given the press and used it for .38S&W. It was kind of novel to get it working with 7/8-14 dies.I had zero issues with threads or indexing I no longer use it and would be a effort to find it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the review. Lots of interest in this modification.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Yes would be nice to have for a pistol set up.

Boolit Master
    I made 3 of them, mine are 6 hole. I would not make another for 40$, so that's a good deal! On the six hole, and actually the 4 hole as well, the dies my drag on the index ring OD. 1 of my three press had this issue, not a big deal but was a head scratcher for a minute. They work well but the JR was never designed for heavy sizing of rifle brass. Mine are set up for 41Mag/special and 375Win. Another for the 32 revolver rounds and 222Rem, the other has 6 Lee bullet sizers in it
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

Is this better than the original turret or are the originals just hard to locate?

Boolit Master
    The originals are just fine , if you have the 310 dies( small bodies). The 7/8 14 turrets let us use carbide sizing dies and "standard" die sets.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Tru Line Jr a couple years ago at a gun show, which not only has a 4 station 7/8-14 turret, but has a replacement lower "unit" that holds standard shellholders.
    works quite well for some pistol cals and now very nice in loading
    (already FLS) 300 Blackout ammo. The guy I bought it from for something like $40
    had no idea who rebuilt it. I wish I could run into the guy again, as he said he might have another 7/8-14 turret for it.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    beltfed,, that 40$ one on fleabay is a steal if you like the little presses. Way more trouble than that to make one! The shell holder adapter is still available from Lyman, at least was last year.

Boolit Buddy

Of course, not sure how I missed that part about the normal dies, great idea. That will be my dumb question of the week so my quota has been reached.

Boolit Master
    rking22
    As said, I do not need an adaptor for my 7/8-14 TLJ.
    It has a replacement moving "ram" designed to use
    Standard press shellholders
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    rking22
    As said, I do not need an adaptor for my 7/8-14 TLJ.
    It has a replacement moving "ram" designed to use
    Standard press shellholders
    beltfed/arnie
    I'd like to see a picture of that, if you don't mind.

Banned
    For those that don't want a replacement turret there is always boring and threading the original. I picked this one up a few years ago, never tried to use it though.

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5128.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Ken,

I have often thought of taking an original turret and drilling ONE of the stations to accept a 7/8 X 14 die so I can use a carbide sizing die along with the rest of the old style small diameter dies. Of course if I wanted to use a full set of the small dies I could use one of my bushings that used to come with the Lyman 45 Powder Measure so it would be like the early All American presses. That seems to me like the best of both worlds. Of course I'd plan on using the later TL Jr press with compound leverage to do this.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Mr. Frog person sir, Looking at it I cannot tell that a replacement turret, machined from aluminum would be any better. This one does look more authentic.

I have often wondered if there is any real improvement in leverage between the old and new link styles. I can see moving the link pin in front of the main post would be a big improvement. I have put new style links on the older presses and could notice no difference in feel or effort. ???
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Mr. Frog person sir, Looking at it I cannot tell that a replacement turret, machined from aluminum would be any better. This one does look more authentic.

I have often wondered if there is any real improvement in leverage between the old and new link styles. I can see moving the link pin in front of the main post would be a big improvement. I have put new style links on the older presses and could notice no difference in feel or effort. ???
    Ken
    There is a bit more to the linkage change than just the links. The attachment point on the shell holder slide is different as well. I've run them side by side, and there is an improvement.

Nitro

Boolit Grand Master
    ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!

Nitro, I have one early and several later examples. The early one stays in my collection in honor of my mentor who gifted it to me. I’ve had a late version on the loading bench since Dad and I started reloading and still use it about as often (for 32 S&W Long) as any of the many presses I own.

Back to the original topic of this thread, has anyone noticed the modified or custom built turrets drilled for 7/8X14 being advertised lately? I haven’t seen them for several years, but I’m at a stage where I might buy one if it were offered. Alternatively, I have the threading tap, so as I mentioned previously, I might just modify one hole in a turret so I can use a carbide sizing die… naaahh, I’ve got one semi-permanently mounted on my Lyman All American turret press that works well for the first step on all of my straight side 32 cases.

Oh well, at least a thread about one of my favorite reloading tools has been reactivated!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

Original turret, 7/8 and flip upside down.

I'm working on it. I have contacted one of the persons that did produce 7/8 plates. I don't have pictures or price, but the person is still in business and seems willing to make them. Price has not been discussed.

But, my brain being what it is, I kept looking at the original plate and wondering about a conversion. Several years ago I had my BIL drill and tap one of the holes to 7/8-14. I never liked it because of the scalp work involved in getting clearance. Then it dawned on me, why not just flip the plate upside down, and so I tried it and I believe I have proof of concept. It helps to have the J to X conversion as it spaces up the shell holder a bit. In addition I think if I drilled the indexing hole through and plugged the other end, the indexing ball issue would be solved. I just sized 5 38s, I don't see any issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310 to 7 8.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	311077

I have a spare turret: Drill through with a 5/16 bit, deburr and place the turret, upside down on the press. Drop in the ball, drop in the spring and put a 5/16" x 1/4" wooden dowel on top of the spring and put the nut and washer on, Bob's your uncle. I don't have a 7/8x14 tap, next on the agenda is to drop it off at my brother in laws shop. I can't believe I never though of that before. I'll make a brass spacer to replace the wooden dowel, maybe.

Name:	Flip turret.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	311079

Proof of concept proved.

Nitro
    Last edited by nitro-express; 02-27-2023 at 07:07 PM.

The TLJ I inherited from my father had a bored-out plate. He worked for a company with a shop full of high precision machines and machinists. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that the work was done on a Moore. I've never thought of flipping the plate, but it's going to happen soon.

A later acquisition has a steel 6-hole plate from a guy in Pennsylvania. Don't remember how I got in touch, but it wasn't evilBay. That one lives to this day in my "apartment-dwellers" reloading box, which after 23 years I am also still using. Dies are .38 Spl. and 9mm.

Name:	Home Reloading Box.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	311080
    Cognitive Dissident