RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman #452423 data needed

Lyman #452423 data needed

I'm trying to work up a load with this boolit using Titegroup in .45ACP cases.

The gun is a Springfield Armory XD-45 ACP.

Boolit is cast from WW's and weighing in at an average of 243.0 Grs.

Anyone gave this a try yet? Cartridge OAL?

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I think I had to crimp that one just shy by about 20-30 thou back from the front of the front edge on the front band and the load was out of the Lee 2nd volume . Worked good out of the Kimber by not out of the Hardballer as the Kimber has a stronger spring in it.

Hope it helps .

Check this thread also :http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=28143

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

My load is slightly different, but similar, I use Unique instead of Titegroup, with the 454424 Keith bullet. 6 grains of Unique in the 45 ACP, this is a hot load that I don't shoot much, but gives good accuracy and great penetration.

I've been planning to try the 452423 with this load but haven't yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since my 1911's need around 1.20" to function and chamber correctly, drop your charges from standard ball noticeably. Somewhat more bullet in the case plus the weight.

Can't think of why I'd go above 5.5 of Unique for most use. Preferably that or a little less for shooting this bullet in high volume. I think the same amount of Herco or somewhat less is even better for regular use. Lots of other medium burners can serve.

I'm not too high on using any fast burning powders with this bullet. Hope your bullet pull is high and your magazines smoothly feeding and not ka-chunky. I'd deliberately abuse a few dummies and see how they held up in various case brands. If you're the inquisitive sort you could start low and increase the seating depth a bit at a time to see how much increasing seating depth matters with your chosen powder. These bullets demand your thoroughly checking out cartridge OAL integrity. I think they take a greater jolt in feeding than typical 1911 bullets and need to be a little more carefully loaded. Mine feed it fine. For SD I don't carry square edged bullets in semiautos.

Good pin bullet if your gun will feed it. Cast or quenched hard and a soft lube function and shoot well. Actually, I can make soft range scrap work too.

Make sure your seating stem matches the bullet profile or bullets will seat crooked and accuracy will suck. Dirty seating stems don't help and I'm guilty of letting them get filthy from time to time. I can get away with it with some other bullets. Not this one.

Boolit Buddy

Have not tried titegroup, but my experience with this boolit is exactly as stated by previous posters above. I have only tried Unique, up to 6.0 gr. 860 fps and good accuracy ,seated to 1.20 " My lyman mold also casts these to 243 gr out of WW. Good load feeds well in a 1911 with a NM bbl {no radical throating}, and a little bumpy in a stock bbl. but no ftf's yet. I also agree that for most use 5.5 gr Unique would be best.Just my two cents.
    John

I run that bullet taper crimped just behind the leading edge of the front driving band. My load is 8.5 gr IMR 800x with a CCI LP primer. It is stout and not pressure tested. I use a 20lb spring and extra power main spring in the Kimber. It is a fantastic combination in that pistol.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest you don't get hung up on OAL or powder charges based on specific bullet designs. Every firearm is an individual, each one is law unto itself, and there are no magic formulas for each bullet type.

First, find a crimped seating depth that lets your pistol feed and chamber reliabily from your magazine(s) and that's YOUR "correct" OAL and crimp.

Next, find data for your type and weight of bullet and use it. Your pistol won't care what specific form or mold number a .45 caliber +/- 250 gr. Cast bullet, etc., has.

I only use that bullet in my Colt 1917 revolver and with auto rim cases. I guess some can make it work in a 1911 but I don’t think Keith designed for a 1911.