Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder for .357 Magnum and 158 gr?

I like AA#2 for light to medium loads and AA#5 for medium loads both are easy to meter and are clean burners in the 158 gr. LSWC with loads I use. I like 2400 and Win 296 for heavy magnum loads. For light recoil loads I like Trailboss. Don't overlook IMR-Hodgdon 700X for light to medium magnum loads very good all around powder but you will hear from others how "terrible 700X meters" I have no issues with this powder when I use my Lyman 55 powder measures.

Unique for Mid Range loads and 2400 for magnum loads.

Boolit Master
    An early 2000's edition of Hodgdon's Annual Manual lists 19gr Lil Gun with a 158 gr bullet. Low pressure and higher velocity using this powder intended for 410 shotguns.

Boolit Master
    For maximum performance .357 loads, I use Alliant 2400 or 4227. For any loads OTHER than max., I use Alliant Unique, BE-86, Herco, or AA#5. Alliant 2400 and 4227 will not burn completely in a 6" barrel, so unless full maximum performance is required, their use is somewhat UNeconomical. The other 4 propellants I mention will give 85% of max, at charge weights that are 55 - 60% of the Magnum pistol powders. This translates to more rounds made per pound of propellant.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Mold
    I use only Lovex DO37.2 which should be identical to your Acc. No 9.
    The powder is used by myself for .357/10mm Auto/.454 Casull.
    I’m really happy with this stuff, it’s cheap too.
    In .357 you will get heavy power, my powdercoated Lee 158grs are traveling solid at 1450fps out of the 5,5“ S&W627 without any pressure signs when using small Pistol primers.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    An early 2000's edition of Hodgdon's Annual Manual lists 19gr Lil Gun with a 158 gr bullet. Low pressure and higher velocity using this powder intended for 410 shotguns.
    What about burning the forcing cone with Lil’Gun and such light 158grs-boolits?
    LG seems to be extremely hotter than the other stuff bcz of the higher nitroglycerine parts.

There had been tests from Bob Baker of FA, they checked the barrels after using Lil’Gun in their revolvers.

Myself I don’t have any experience with Lil’Gun, everything I only heard/seen in the internet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    I like blue dot myself. Works for me any way.
    I agree...been using Blue Dot with my cast bullet loading for 158gr LSWC for decades in multiple revolvers and a lever action rifle with excellent accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fzr1000 View Post
    What about burning the forcing cone with Lil’Gun and such light 158grs-boolits?
    LG seems to be extremely hotter than the other stuff bcz of the higher nitroglycerine parts.

There had been tests from Bob Baker of FA, they checked the barrels after using Lil’Gun in their revolvers.

Myself I don’t have any experience with Lil’Gun, everything I only heard/seen in the internet.
    I don’t have any experience with Lil Gun in revolvers, but I do in a carbine. Several years ago I tried it with some loads in my .44 mag Rossi 92. After just a couple of rounds the barrel was extremely hot, enough so that I decided something was wrong and quit shooting those loads.

I won't use Lil gun for anything, and the pound I had ended up in the garden.

For reasons I don't understand, some folks get downright nasty when this subject comes up, even on this site.

I bought HP-38 (W231) because I can use it, in all of my pistol calibers/ models…. And it was the one I could find, lol.
    Works great for me in .380 , 9 mm , .38 spl , .357 mag, as well as .45 acp.
    I also have H110 for the .357 mag and .300 BO The H110 is a little spooky to me, in the .357 mag. Big bang, big flame, but a whole lotta fun.
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-03-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Master

2400 all the way

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F37C5D3B-E586-451D-9E6C-5AD2AF43006B.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	301743

If all you haz is W231…
    This is Richard Lee’s Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition.

very hot - 2400 (h110/w296 if you can find mag primers)

hot - unique or BlueDot

warm - 231/hp38, HS-6, CFE-p, power pistol

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy
    2400 is what I would use for that.

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    very hot - 2400 (h110/w296 if you can find mag primers)

hot - unique or BlueDot

warm - 231/hp38, HS-6, CFE-p, power pistol

Nice bullets, RCBS mould?

Boolit Master
    The best "General Purpose" propellants I'VE found for .357 Mag. have been Unique, Herco, BE-86 and AA#5. The first 3 are Alliant products, so good luck with finding them. AA#5 MAY be a little easier to find, and works VERY well in .357.
    Red Dot is the fastest powder I've used in .357 and it worked "okay", but is really too fast-burning for best results. Alliant 2400 or either of the 4227s will give you true magnum performance, with some room for "less than maximum" loads. I have never tried AA#7, nor AA#9 in any cartridge, but may give excellent results if obtainable.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Nice bullets, RCBS mould?
    NOE Keith

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...4-5-cavity-pb/

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    2400 , I use the Keith load.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

What barrel length?

I have a 6in GP 100. I have played with everything from 120s up to 182s For lighter bullets, 120 and 125s I have had great luck with Power Pistol. For my 158s and 182s I generally use H110. I found it ignites well with small rifle primers, as small pistol magnum have been hard to come by. Heard great things about AA #9 but I have not tried it myself. AA #7 packs a punch as well.

Keep in mind, if for a defensive loading, I would stay away from power pistol. It has given me very large, very bright fireballs in everything I have used it in.

I did some testing a while back in a 38spl snubbie, and running 38s in my 6in 357. The best powder is the best powder. if it gives the best velocity in a long barrel it will also give the best velocity in a short barrel. However in a short barrel, the velocities can get inconsistent when using the best powder as it is usually a slower burning powder and a fair bit goes out the muzzle unburnt. I tried some super fast burning powder in my snubbie, and while i lost 150fps, velocity consistency tightened up considerably. so if you running a shorter barrel, you might consider burn rate a little and not go with the slowest burning powder.

Boolit Bub
    I use unique, Red dot, and2400....but mostly Unique

I prefer the 200g RCBS plain base with H-110. Velocity does not mean much if you hit what you are shooting at with a heavy bullet. I like 15” of penetration. My load carries a pin completely off the table.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast