Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder for .357 Magnum and 158 gr?

Boolit Buddy

Powder for .357 Magnum and 158 gr?

What is a good powder for loading 158 gr lead SWCHP bullets in .357 Magnum? I intend to use this as a multi-purpose round, self defense, woods use, plinking, etc.. I also prefer a case filling powder. Being able to use standard pistol primers would also be a plus.

Boolit Master
    I can recommend a number of powders that have worked well for me for almost fifty years, but I don't understand the importance of "case filling". I'll assume you're looking for cast bullet advice since you're on this site? Short of your need to fill the case, 2400, Unique, 231, Titegroup, and 4227 all work well for me with standard primers. I'd suggest taking a look at the Lyman Cast Bullet loading manual for getting verified safe and effective loads. They list a lot of them and they've been tested at length. Most times internet advice is worth what you pay of it when looking for loading advice. All guns are different and you get some pretty good, and some pretty bad, advice for free. Good luck.

I like blue dot myself. Works for me any way.

Boolit Buddy
    Benny

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Blue Dot and TiteGroup (because they always available locally). I prefer Unique, but good luck in finding it regularly.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

GC or PB? I've loaded (and fired) literally thousands of Lyman 358156 (w/gc) with either 2400 or 4227. For plain-base, up to around 1100 fps, Unique or Blue Dot.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Unique is what you seek.

Boolit Buddy
    Plain base. By "case filling" I mean I powder that fills the case enough that if I accidentally double charged I will know it for sure. Please don't anyone preach to me about proper reloading practices as I've been doing this for years. Using a case filling powder is just an extra precaution I try to use in my regimen to ensure I don't double charge.

Boolit Master
    I have used Red Dot, Promo, W-231, HP-38, Titegroup, & Unique. I keep my loads to 1,100 FPS in the .357 magnum w/ cast bullets. Unique is a wonderful choice, but as Beagle333 stated I cannot find any. Red Dot/Promo works almost as well....this year I am using Titegroup. BTW Red Dot provides the best % of "fill" (loading density), as it is the least dense powder, of the powders that I've mentioned.

To avoid double charging I place charged cases in a loading block and look them over with a flashlight. Something that I feel should always be done when reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    To avoid double charging I place charged cases in a loading block and look them over with a flashlight. Something that I feel should always be done when reloading.
    I do that too. I just prefer an extra measure of safety with the fluffy powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Unique and 2400 are traditional favorites so they can be hard to come sometimes. I've been using HS-6 as a alternate and this is becoming a new favorite in 38/357 and 44 SPL. Got to try in 45 acp and see what it will do.

Boolit Master
    Trigger -Howdy !RX - 14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and SP Magnum primer under those 158's. Been my go-to load for 40+yr ( 4", 5" and 6" .357Mag "N"-frames, and in an M1894SC ).With regards, 357Mag

Red Dot here, but then I use it in almost everything.

4.6 grains gets me good 100 yard accuracy and is easy on the pocket. A double charge would be very noticeable. Red Dot is fluffy.

I have tried IMR 4227, have most of a pound, if I was making hunting loads where I wanted more speed it would be my choice I think. But the 4227 load took 3 times the charge and was not as accurate. So I use Red Dot.

Guess I need to change my name.

RedDotGhost or RedDotFan?

Boolit Buddy

I use HP-38 for just about all my handguns , except for my 500 smith and that eats H110
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    What powders do you have on hand?

I use Unique, 2400, Herco.
    I use H110 for jacketed bullets. I would like to try H110 on cast.

Take care
    Abeaki

I thought unique was the only cast boolit powder for pistols from 9mm to 454 casull

Boolit Grand Master

Any pistol powder will work. And any of the magnum pistol powders will work. Pull one off the shelf and load them up. You can load from mild to wild.

Boolit Master

Unique would be my first pick too but good luck finding it so lately I have been using Red Dot just like Franks Hot Sauce
    I use it in just about everything
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Herco is right there at the point of not too much and not too little.
    it fills the case well and is accurate.
    if you need a 100% for sure fill then 800-X will do the job, but it doesn't meter all that well.
    some places don't have Herco, but they do have BE-86..

2400 or AA9 is what I use for your described purpose.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast