RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .54 paperpatch question

Boolit Buddy

Yes, Please check your PM.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

The lefty .54 flinter fast twist barrels never having been produced by Lyman...
    I've thought about having my unfired fifty round ball barrel recut to primo paper patch rifling.

Dunno, maybe I'll just sell the barrel if somebody needs a lefty fifty.

Boolit Man
    johnson1942 - you mentioned how a couple of military men shot excellent groups with the 54 cal. with 1-48" twist but I didn't see what bullets they were using.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxtonyoung View Post
    johnson1942 - you mentioned how a couple of military men shot excellent groups with the 54 cal. with 1-48" twist but I didn't see what bullets they were using.
    I am curious of the same thing? If they are using the chase wrap system with butcher paper they would have to be using a smaller .520s-.530ish diameter bullet? How thick is 18# butcher paper?

Perm-Banned
    they used mini bullets for the 54 cast with most of the hollow base part cut down so the mini was a cupped base. they resized it so when wrapped with a 18 pound freezer wrap paper one wrap it was about 2 thousands under the top of the lands bore size.i really dont know if you can buy wads for the 54 cal but if you can then you will have to figure out how to make a good tight one. a wad is very important in paperpatch shooting. ill go into the basement now and see what thickness the freezer wrap paper is if i can find all my stuff.

Perm-Banned
    it is 3 thousands thick. i also have two tablets of artist paper that is 18 pound paper that would work very well also but one roll for freezer wrap paper will last a long long time. i, again, do not cut my paper on the slant, i just cut it rectangle according to a template i made. the fellows with the heavy guns and starters use a none slanted paper also.i think one of the best 54 cal for shooting pp would be a thompson 54 with a 1/48 twist. just reshape the base plug on the mold and resize the cast bullet to the right size for your gun. get a good 54 cal wad cutter and your in business. it is fun to make guns shoot way better than they were ment to be.

Perma-Banned
    The Lee .533-410 Minie mold should work well here!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    The Lee .533-410 Minie mold should work well here!
    I cast a few of these today. I cut the base plug so there is maybe 1/8"- left. They weigh in at 458 gr unwrapped. Have some double wrapped in 9# onion skin and will do this batch in freezer wrap (single). Mine measured right at .539 and go down well so will try them without further sizing.Weather report says 10 more days of rain here so should have plenty of time for more casting, wrapping and reloading ammo. Might also get my underhammer finished, a 50 cal with 1:32 twist. Using Idahorons info for this one.
    Good shooting, Bruce H

Boolit Master

Johnson what wad material are you using? And how thick?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Perm-Banned
    60 thousands thick fiber or poly wad. i have wad punches that are loading press mounted and cut my own 38, 45 colt and 45/70 and 50 cal wads. i have made wads out of the rubber cork gasket material you can buy sheets of at the auto parts store and that is good wad material also.

Boolit Master

I've been looking to buy some wad material and couldn't figure out where to purchase something beside durafelt

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    I've been looking to buy some wad material and couldn't figure out where to purchase something beside durafelt
    I just recently bought some Poly and Vegetable fibre wad material in bulk at Buffalo Arms both in 60 Thou, i bought 2 press mounted Fred Cornell Wad punches there as well a .45 and a .50, they are spendy but they work SLICK!! Buffalo carries both Wad materials, in 30 and 60 thou. They had plenty on the shelf when i was there

Boolit Master

Only problem is nobody makes a 54 cal wad punch. May have to make one.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    Only problem is nobody makes a 54 cal wad punch. May have to make one.
    I have a set of Hammer strike Hole punches as well, 5/8" is what i use for my 54s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12