Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stuck brush

Boolit Grand Master

You could try shooting it out but being a brush and not being solid or near air tight, probably wouldn't work, but hay, what have you got to loose trying. Another option probably wouldn't work either but does work on really stuck RBs or jags, put a grease zert in the place of the nipple and use a grease gun to pump it out. You shouldn't need to fill your bore with grease, just enough to get it started moving.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Before making a trip to the hardware store for some copper tubing, I tried the patch jag and was able to remove the remains of the brush. It was a blue green color so I guess the Hopes worked. Thanks for all the ideas.

I"m learning all kinds of cool tricks in the forums today . I gotta come here a lot more often !!
    I can remove my breech,but the copper tube trick would be easier, especially in the field if need be.Or if a friend asks me how.

Boolit Master
    First explain to wife how dumb and bad a situation you are in. YOU NEED A NEW MZL!! After you get a new rifle then extract the brush from the old one and never even mention getting it fixed. Only mention the bad part when you find another excuse to be dumb and bad off and needing to replace a gun. Any excuse to continue stocking the armory. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

In Remembrance
    Many years ago, I got a bore bush stuck at the breech end of my barrel. Luckily, I was able to twist the ramrod and remove it. Haven't used a bronze brush since! I really don't see any need of using one.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Bore brushes clean bores better than 90+% of jags. Shooters that only use jags sometimes sell muzzleloaders that no longer can hit the side of a barn. The buyer of that gun spends two hours with that just-purchased-barrel digging out all the lead, copper or plastic in the grooves with a brass bore brush - then suddenly that barrel becomes a tack driver again at 100 yards.

Old owner gets his brand new muzzleloader.
    New owner bought the used gun at half price and spent $20 on two different solvents and that 15 year-old muzzleloader suddenly shoots like brand new. Just seen another incident like this about four months ago. New owner pulled out around 5-6 strings of plastic (from sabots) from the bore. Shoots like a dream now.

If one uses light powder loads and shoots prelubed patched roundballs, or a good lube on light-to-medium sized conicals, then a jag might be all you ever need, for the lifetime of the ML.

But in a large majority of cases, the barrel just needs a good cleaning..... brass bore brush and commercial solvents that remove lead, copper and/or plastic. Brass bore brush to the rescue of a neglected barrel that only saw a jag up and down that barrel for 15 years.

In my normal cleaning situations, I use a black nylon bore brush. After a couple hundred shots of sabot/bullets, I'll pull out the brass bore brush instead. But in most cleanings, all I use is that black nylon bore brush - for it goes up and down the bore easier than brass.

I never got my black nylon bore brush stuck in the barrel..... never! The only time I use a jag is to seat the bullet. I've never used a jag for cleaning.
    Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 02-02-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Banned

Brushes are fine if you have a breach plug to pull out. Trying to reverse the bristles in a traditional ML can cause a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12