Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck brush

Boolit Buddy

stuck brush

I have a TC Hawken in .45 purchased in the 70s and while cleaning yesterday the brush pulled off the cleaning rod. The piece that screws into the rod was still connected, the brush pulled out of that. The breach plug has never been off this rifle so I'll have a hard time removing it. I plugged the nipple and poured Hopes in the barrel in the hope that it will dissolve the copper brush enough to get it out with a jag. If you have any ideas please post.

A friend of mine had that same problem. It was a brush that the twisted steel part that contains the bristles pulled off the threaded ferrule. The best way to prevent this is to only buy brushes that the twisted metal part is threaded through the ferrule.

Now for the solution. His was a .54 caliber. He found a piece of copper tubing long enough to touch the breech plug. Push the tubing down and completely cover all the bristles and pull it out. If it's a tight fitting brush the bristles are bent in the wrong direction and won't reverse to allow an easy removal without encapsulating the bristles first.

Boolit Master

What bosterr said,it do work.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

I've read about this problem on other forums and one frequently mentioned suggestion was to take a length of copper tubing whose inside diameter is less than that of the brush; push it down over the brush; and slowly pull it, and the brush, out of the bbl. Pulling the breech plug is an absolute last resort on T/C bbls. as it requires a special wrench, the correct (both material & form) vise jaws, and lots of muscle.

Boolit Master
    I had the same Problem with My Original 1861 Springfield. I was able to Pull it out with a Standard Hook type Bullet puller . . I pushed the Puller down and Tangled it up in the brush it self.. At first Difficult. But once the brush reverse position came out quickly. Only use Nylon brush . no copper or Brass
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    the copper tube is the way to get it out I have done it many times. the advice I always gave after doing the job was tell them not to use a brush in a muzzle loader. I have never used one in 40 years of shooting muzzle loaders.
    don't try to unbreach a rifle unless you have the proper barrel vise and breach wrench.

14 ga solid copper wire 10-12" longer than the barrel. WITHOUT insulation. Wrap one end around a Phillips screwdriver 4-5 times to make a cork screw. Pay attention to the direction of twist when inserting into bore as u may be turning backwards. Screw the wire into the brush and pull. The inside of the corkscrew allows twisted wire part of the brush a place to go.
    TC
    Last edited by Standing Bear; 01-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em.

Banned

hope some of the cool tricks mentioned above work for the OP.

"Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em." - if yer in this trad ml game for life, then, ah yes, this is why i have those good breech plug pullin' tools.

Boolit Grand Master

You got good advice on how to fix the problem. Many do not recomend using a wire brush ever. I've never had the problem mentioned but here is a couple thought for the next person or time. I always use a well worn brush when I use one. Also the problem as mentioned is the bristles trying to reverse directions so when you try to pull it out, they dig in, so before you try to pull the brush back out, twist/turn the cleaning rod about 180 degrees. This will change the direction of the bristles making it easier to pull back out.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

imgo, for the patent breeches of offshore guns, a patched bronze or nylon brush is fine and pretty much mandatory as a patched jag ain't getting in there - just be cognisant and careful of the direction ya twist it.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    You got good advice on how to fix the problem. Many do not recomend using a wire brush ever. I've never had the problem mentioned but here is a couple thought for the next person or time. I always use a well worn brush when I use one. Also the problem as mentioned is the bristles trying to reverse directions so when you try to pull it out, they dig in, so before you try to pull the brush back out, twist/turn the cleaning rod about 180 degrees. This will change the direction of the bristles making it easier to pull back out.
    Good advise on how to remove the brush. And if you follow What mooman76 said ^^ from now on it shouldn't happen again, when you push a new tight fitting brush down the bore till it bottoms out at the breech make sure to 'Twist the rod 180 degrees to change the direction of the bristles' BEFORE trying to pull it back out

In Remembrance

Sometimes a corkscrew-type patch puller will grab a stuck bore brush and pull it out. Better to ALWAYS use bore brushes that the spiral wire core goes through the threaded shank. These cannot pull off inside your gun. Years ago almost all bore brushes were made this way. The cheap Chinese-made knock-offs have the threaded shank swaged onto the spiral wire core and can easily pull apart. Its not just muzzle loaders who have this problem. Cheap bore brushes should never be pulled through a bore. Push it through then remove it from the cleaning rod. Since you can't do this with a muzzle loader, best to not use them. Even with a quality bore brush, you need to turn the rod (in the direction to tighten) a quarter turn before reversing it as the bristles will be pointed in the wrong direction if you don't.

Perma-Banned
    This is a good brush
    Attachment 185019

This is a Junk brush
    Attachment 185020

Boolit Master
    Where is the "like" button?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the great replies, I will work on it this afternoon.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, I learned something today.
    Lots of great sounding ideas here, that I never would have thought of, if I had the same problem, luckily I've never had that happen.

Back in the early 1990s, when I first got into shooting ML, I bought a TC Seneca 45cal, with a rusted bore. My friend (Bubba) and I tried to get the breech plug out, so we could "fix" the rust in the bottom of the barrel. Guess what, all we made was scrap metal. Back then you could get replacement barrels through TC (made by Fox? or Foxtrail? or something like that?)...So I got to order my first QLA barrel, and I still have that 36 cal barrel and Love it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Fox Ridge Outfitters. They were good folks to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    I have a TC Hawken in .45 purchased in the 70s and while cleaning yesterday the brush pulled off the cleaning rod. The piece that screws into the rod was still connected, the brush pulled out of that. The breach plug has never been off this rifle so I'll have a hard time removing it. I plugged the nipple and poured Hopes in the barrel in the hope that it will dissolve the copper brush enough to get it out with a jag. If you have any ideas please post.
    I often wondered if you could pack the nipple hole with blackpowder and shoot the bore brush out of the barrel.
    Anyone ever try it?

Another option is to buy a CO2 Cartridge Discharger, used to remove contaminated loads still inside the bore.

Boolit Buddy
    I was lucky once and grabbed one out of my buddies barrel with a tow worm

I lost a cleaning jag once when the end of my ramrod came off. That is exactly what I did, put a few grains of powder under the nipple, replace the nipple, cap it, and fire. It made a surprisingly large hole in my back yard, and I had to dig about eight to ten inches down to recover my jag!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast