Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Imr4227

Boolit Bub
    jdt81, I would enjoy hearing about your progress as I have no way of testing for pressures as of now.
    Last edited by Santa Lee; 03-01-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling

I've used 18.0 to 19.0gr IMR4227 in 1873 Uberti .45 Colt chambered rifle and pistol with very good results, using 250 and 255gr cast bullets.

Boolit Bub
    kaiser, thanks. I have been wondering about the pressures you might be seeing. Any ideas?

Boolit Mold
    This is where it gets kind of weird. I loaded some 44 mag (300 gr jacketed irrc) and loaded them pretty hot, but it wasn’t very clean. But that was a compressed load in the 44. In the 454 it was not. H110 was definitely cleaner burning in the 44 mag but you had to go full throttle since H110 doesn’t behave well in reduced loads.
    Btw, my pressure estimates are only that, estimates from QuickLoad. As it turns out, in almost every instance, QL’s predicted velocity was within 50 FPS and often better so I rarely use my chrony anymore. I would if I was working up hot loads again, but as a age I seem to be losing my enthusiasm for these.

Santa Lee - My accuracy load with IMR4227 in my 1873 rifle is 18.5gr with a Lee 255FN cast (act. wt. 253gr avg.) for 1277fps out of a 20" BBL. Pressure indications from the cases, primer, and velocity fall into the normal "cowboy" category. I've also used this powder in a Beretta Stampede (Uberti/Colt clone) where 19.0gr is more accurate; thus far, no problems and velocity is "inline" with most "standard" Colt loads (my own estimates, besides manual references, are from chronograph taken data points). I have used a magnum primers to help with the "ignition" (I do not know if it does?). While I like the fact 4227 fills the .45 Colt case better than most pistol powders, I get just as good accuracy with AA5 and Unique. Kaiser

Boolit Bub
    Thanks kaiser, I'll try working up to the 19 in my pistol. Slow and easy. Thanks for the info!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123