Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unique Max Loads for .45 Colt?

Boolit Master

PositiveCaster,

I don't seat the #452424 to crimp over the front driving band, I seat in the crimping groove.
    That works just fine in S&W M25-5, and all Rugers. Too long for Colt SAA's & clones.
    For them I load the #452423 or N.O.E. equivalent.
    When I actually do load a SWC in .45Colt.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Interesting. My Nosler reloading manual lists the max load of Unique for a 250 grain JHP at 11.3 grains. For Ruger-only loads.

Attachment 275817

For Colt SAA, it doesn't even list Unique.

Attachment 275818
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    ...I don't seat the #452424 to crimp over the front driving band, I seat in the crimping groove....
    That’s wonderful, but your question was about why Lyman’s data showed different charges for the two bullets. That was what I answered for you......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that's where I got it from too, then switched it over.
    I sent some stuff to Sam a while back and now that's his 44 load.

I worked the 8.5 load because of the lighter revolvers and it also works in the 41 mag.
    but in the .4 type lever guns at 25-40yds it will efficiently take out the 1" dots in the little [racing] games we play around here.
    8.5 with a 225 is my go to 41 mag load

Unique is a great powder for just about any handgun cartridge...But for me Power Pistol in the .45 Colt seems to be an excellent alternative. Its burning rate is just a little slower than Unique..For full power Ruger Only loads 11 grains with a Lyman 452424 255 grain cast bullet gives me an average of 1050 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel. Cases fall out and shot to shot velocity variation is very low. Seems to work out that you can duplicate Unique load performance with about ONE more grain of Power Pistol. There is not a whole lot of data out there for PP usage in the .45 Colt but it seems to work very good for my "midrange Ruger Only loads".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kingrj View Post
    Unique is a great powder for just about any handgun cartridge...But for me Power Pistol in the .45 Colt seems to be an excellent alternative. Its burning rate is just a little slower than Unique..For full power Ruger Only loads 11 grains with a Lyman 452424 255 grain cast bullet gives me an average of 1050 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel. Cases fall out and shot to shot velocity variation is very low. Seems to work out that you can duplicate Unique load performance with about ONE more grain of Power Pistol. There is not a whole lot of data out there for PP usage in the .45 Colt but it seems to work very good for my "midrange Ruger Only loads".
    Sounds like Power Pistol is a lot like Herco. I like Herco but have never used PP.

The burning rate for Herco is very similar to PP..I have not used any Herco so I cannot comment on how it does in the .45 Colt but I would think it would be excellent..

Blackhawk shooter here.
    My "universal" load for the .45 colt/ 250 grain slug is 9.0 grains Unique, mostly because I have a substantial stash of the stuff. It's a pig killin' recipe.
    I've used the same charge under the RCBS 270-SAA (heavier in my alloy), and truthfully cannot feel any difference, but believe 8.5 grains would still give 850-900 fps and be a bit more prudent loading.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master

Actually chronographed those loads in the Henry today and got an average of 1200 fps and 1" groups...

Attachment 294643
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

The difference in pressure between various different cast bullets of essentially the same weight over Unique is simply a function of seating depth. For example, in Starline cases with Fed 150 primers the 454190 seated to and oal of 1.589 over 8.5 gr Unique gave a measured pressure of 18,000 psi. When seated to an oal of 1.664 the measured psi was 15,700.

It's the same reason different max pressure loads are listed for the 454190 and 454425. Also, the earlier listed Alliant load "max" load for the 200 gr bullet may have been a "max" load not because of pressure but because of the alloy used in the bullet.

Do not assume the max loads listed in manuals are based solely on SAAMI MAPs. The max load may, or may not, give a pressure equal to the SAAMI MAP. There are other numerous other reasons why "max" loads are listed. Pressure is only one of them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Actually chronographed those loads in the Henry today and got an average of 1200 fps and 1" groups...

Attachment 294643
    Interesting. I get almost 1300 out of my Henry X model. Load is 10.6 grs Unique and Noe 250 gr hp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Interesting. I get almost 1300 out of my Henry X model. Load is 10.6 grs Unique and Noe 250 gr hp
    Good info. I may be bumping up the charge a little to see how it does. Don't want to lose that accuracy, though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Good info. I may be bumping up the charge a little to see how it does. Don't want to lose that accuracy, though.
    Yes, good point!

10.6 grs was max with Unique and still able to hold good accuracy with my ~10 bhn bullets.

I found that I could also use CFE pistol at the same 10.6 grains and achieve slightly better than 1300 fps with the same bullet in the same Henry. That load also does 1020 fps in the S&W mountain gun.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Yes, good point!

10.6 grs was max with Unique and still able to hold good accuracy with my ~10 bhn bullets.

I found that I could also use CFE pistol at the same 10.6 grains and achieve slightly better than 1300 fps with the same bullet in the same Henry. That load also does 1020 fps in the S&W mountain gun.
    In the huge colt case, isnt affecting pressures much with Unique.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    8.5gr of Unique over a 250gr boolit is safe and effective in anything chambered in 45 Colt after World War One.

I have been loading Unique in the 45 Colt for a very long time. I will not use more than 9 grains with a 250 cast bullet. I drop down to 8.5 for regular use.

Nothing to be gained by pushing the red line. Just let that big ol fat bullet do it's job.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    The OACL is different, and shorter for the lighter bullet. Measure the lengths of those two bullets and subtract from the OACL length.

Powder charge per unit volume => pressure. However, max pressure happens after the bullet leaves the case, so it’s a bit more complicated… with bullet weight being a meaningful, secondary causal factor.

BTW, my Lyman manual gives a max Unique charge of 8.5 grains with a 452454 255gr bullet and 1.575” OACL. The screws loosen on my Uberti Regulator at 8.2gr, so I don’t go above 8.0gr.
    Last edited by justindad; 01-27-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Boolit Master

Doesn't anyone shoot heavier bullets like 300's?

I saw the 270 post that a favorite as well. But LEE's dandy 452-300 is good hunting bullet too!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Nope. Not me. lol. How ya doing there CW? I was just sneaking around on here since I just got a new Uberti El Patron in 45 Colt yesterday. I've been shooting 8.5 grains of Unique in my Ruger with my 255 gr. Accurate bullet but figured that is a bit to much for my Uberti so I was just looking to see what others thought. I plan on dirtying up the bore today and pop cans in the snow.I might as well let the deer know that the Sherriff is still in town.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We shoot 300 FN grainers in the Rugers, Dan Wesson and rifles when we go after corn crunchers. No doubt in our thinking any angle will not be a issue to well thwap those bean eaters in the river bottoms we hunt.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast