Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning patented breech/Ante chamber

Perma-Banned
    Hey, don't knock a fat girl. one of the most grateful creatures in all God's creation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fgd135 View Post
    I've been interested in using a steam cleaners like yours. Did you make a long wand for the bore, or are you just using the standard attachments? Thanks, I'll be using it on my patent breech PH Volunteer.
    I thought about making a Long Wand to reach the Breach area but find that with the Nipple out the Steam does its work.I use ready made Windscreen Wiper fluid first on a Jag to soften the Crud,then I flush it out with Steam,Th Hot Barrel soon dries then I wipe out with Auto Engine Oil.I always store Barrel down.I have a Length of stainless Steel Brake Pipe destined for a Long Wand but so far the above routine works well.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    Hey, don't knock a fat girl. one of the most grateful creatures in all God's creation!
    Yep, Good Ole Big uns, and Big Ole Good uns!

Banned

bp residue cleans up real nice with plain ol' tepid tap water. resorting to anything more invasive would indicate to me the barrel's bore and chamber(s) has, or has had, issues. typically those issues usually have to do with a not-so-good cleaning regimen. on a new gun barrel, after i've properly cared for and embalmed all its threads, 7 years later and with only water cleaning, it's like new on the inside other than getting lapped via patched balls. just plain water, the staff of life, and some patched jags and some God given elbow grease, that's it, no special tooling, can do it most anywhere. no more. nothing else. cleans out quick 'n' easy. then a bit of something good for metal preservation whilst the tube awaits another firing visit afield.

yes, indeed ... thank God for good ol' big 'uns, and big ol' good 'uns!

Perma-Banned
    I have always used a little touch of dawn dish soap, no reason other than it seems like a good thing to do, and can't cause any harm that i can see? I fill my cleaning bucket directly from my tap not scalding hot, just comfortable warm, if you were to sit down in it there'd be no worries of scalding your butt cheeks. Many many years ago they cleaned their guns in creeks, etc. But i believe if they'd of had better stuff available back then they would have used it! Just wasn't an option back then, Butch's Blackpowder solvent and the likes hadn't hit the scenes.
    My grandfather was a Carpenter and a DAMN good one! He used 2 different Hand Saws, he owned a set tool for adjusting the teeth, sharpened them himself etc. He built several really nice homes in the area i grew up, and North Carolina. From cutting boards to ripping sheets of plywood, He did EVERYTHING with his Handsaws! That was til i showed him how a good Skil Saw worked! I pulled in the driveway one day and grandpa was cross cutting boards for my Grandmother's Car port, he had several boards cut, but had a LARGE pile left to cut, I ran to the neighbors and borrowed a Skil Saw, i cut that entire pile in just a few minutes, my Grandpa Grinned and watched in amazement!! From that Day on when he was building anything of size he would have me cut everything with a Skil Saw. This story is talked, and laughed about through my whole family to date!
    Moral of the story, Just because 'They' did not use it back in the old days DOES NOT mean they would not have, if it had been available. Technology fellas, its not always a bad thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	186551The original T/C cleaning jags were made to clean the patent breech. This is one of my original.54 cal T/C jags. Notice how a portion is smaller to fit into the breech plug.

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Yep, Good Ole Big uns, and Big Ole Good uns!
    And they keep you warm in the winter and give you shade in the summer.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	186551The original T/C cleaning jags were made to clean the patent breech. This is one of my original.54 cal T/C jags. Notice how a portion is smaller to fit into the breech plug.
    That's cool jjarrell!! To the few that say this Patented breech/Ante chamber is a 'non issue' or however, don't you find it kinda odd that TC made, and STIL makes tools to get in the Patented Breech? TC themselves seen it as a problem, or better yet they made tools to allow you to clean it so it didn't become a problem! With proper care and cleaning regimen these Patented breeches shouldn't be an issue, but it sure as hell dont hurt to know they are there

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=jjarrell;3904855]I'm sure that tool would work great but, no disrespect intended, it sure looks like a PITA. Cutting patches, getting them stuck on the bristles of the brush while trying to put them on the jag. Its 6 one way, half a dozen the other I suppose. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Below isn't the T/C brush I use but it looks exactly the same. The bristles curl up on the edges fitting the belled portion of the breech plug as you spin it with the rod.

Then again we could just break out the pressure washer. Slap the barrel in a vise and go to town getting that jewel clean!

[/QUO TE]
    The problem with the jag/brush combo is that the brush will bend very easily. I use a .30 cal brush with a patch wrapped around it. It's a tight fit in the chamber so it doesn't bend.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    That's cool jjarrell!! To the few that say this Patented breech/Ante chamber is a 'non issue' or however, don't you find it kinda odd that TC made, and STIL makes tools to get in the Patented Breech? TC themselves seen it as a problem, or better yet they made tools to allow you to clean it so it didn't become a problem! With proper care and cleaning regimen these Patented breeches shouldn't be an issue, but it sure as hell dont hurt to know they are there
    The newer T/C jags don't have the small portion on the tip anymore. Since they went to exclusively making in-lines the jags are full caliber and shorter. They no longer make the old style. You can still find the original ones in old gun shops, black powder shops, e-bay, or at flea markets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    And they keep you warm in the winter and give you shade in the summer.
    and if they tattoos you have moving pictures year round.

Banned

This is Thompson Centers answer to clean the breach plug

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...12-gauge-brass

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    This is Thompson Centers answer to clean the breach plug

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...12-gauge-brass
    Yep! If you go back to post #39 i have a picture of this TC tool, i found them on the shelf at a local sporting goods store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123