MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning patented breech/Ante chamber

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I don't see the problem. I was cleaning mine for years before I even knew about the oddity. Never had a problem.
    How can you NOT see the problem? Look at a few of the pictures ron posted. I am not saying that your rifle/rifles are dirty in this area, if you know this chamber exists and you clean one of these guns correctly from the START its doubtful you would have any problems, But a lot of folks dont know these chambers exist? Little lone how to clean them (me being one of them) this is why i started this thread. I think it's important to know its there, and should be looked after to make sure a problem doesnt start in there! Whats to say after cleaning that you dont COMPLETELY get that area dried out and you end up leaving some moisture in there by accident? Let that moisture sit and 'stew' in there. Eventually you WILL have a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe it's just the way I clean. Not saying there couldn't be a problem. Just saying, I've been cleaning it for over 30 years and haven't had a problem.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned
    This is probably the easiest breech plug to care for and its on one of those terrible off shore muzzleloaders
    And thats a flintlock barrel to boot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traditions-pa-pellet-flintlock-muzzleloader--liningitup.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	184664

Banned

Perma-Banned
    LOL @ FrontierMuzzleloading and rfd, you might as well give up FrontierMuzzleloading!! LOL

Banned

that man do like his traditions guns.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that man do like his traditions guns.
    There's a good chance i will end up with one of the darn things to, i can't quit looking at that little Crockett .32 Cal, i would rather have a TC Cherokee in .32 though

Banned

having had the crockett, i liked it quite a bit, even though it was one of those new fangled cap guns. but it's spanish built and the plug doesn't come out.

better off to find a cherokee ... or even better yet, forget all these offshore guns and get an onshore builder to make you a superb gun to your spex. yeah, the cost will be 2 to 3 times a crockett, but it'll be 10x better than any offshore gun, including those .32's from pedersoli. ymmv.

Banned
    Anyone that shows links to randy wakeman articles is never taken seriously after that. Other folks have tried it and folks with background knowledge of both Wakeman and Bridges, both know they are frauds and not worth read.

Recall was for inlines from cva. 95-06 models actually. Wakeman went to work on the writings once henry balls ( savage) son in law was injured by a recall gun supposedly.

TC/Knight do not proof their barrels either, so the point is kinda moot. Only savage proofs every single barrel, but those were smokeless muzzleloaders at the time they made them. They have discontinued them after several blow ups, including by Wakeman. The chance of getting a lawsuit was not to their liking.

But we all know how blow ups go. You never will get the real story.

Banned

never believe anything you read, see or hear on the interweb.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a bronze T/C breech brush to scrub the breach plug. Its a strait bristle brush that sorta looks like a miniature shaving brush that screws into the ramrod. While the barrel is still in your soapy water, put it against the back of the breech plug and spin the ramrod. When you spin it, the brush boogers itself up some on the sides and makes it custom fit the breech. Cleans anything that was left behind out and takes 15 seconds. I've used it for years.

Banned

this nifty tool is made for patent breeches. it combines a jag for the bore and a brush for the ante-chamber. the brush is cut to the specific length of the ante-chamber by the user.

to use the patent breech jag/brush, a small slit is cut into the cleaning patch and is slipped over the brush, or the brush is unscrewed from the jag's tip and then patch is screwed down onto the jag's head by the brush's threads. then a patch is wrapped over the brush.

spritzed with plain water, moose milk, LVL, or whatever cleaning concoction one prefers, the custom jag/brush cleans both the bore and ante-chamber in well swell foop.

so where can ya get this special patent breech jag/brush tool???

Boolit Master

This is my set up for steam cleaning my Rifles.I have taken to Loading my whitworth Rifle as followsowder,Bullet And wipe.Previously I wiped then loaded but found I was dropping debris into the Chamber each time and getting many misfires.It fires every time now.

Boolit Master

The top Rifle is the one that I wipe after loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    this nifty tool is made for patent breeches. it combines a jag for the bore and a brush for the ante-chamber. the brush is cut to the specific length of the ante-chamber by the user.

to use the patent breech jag/brush, a small slit is cut into the cleaning patch and is slipped over the brush, or the brush is unscrewed from the jag's tip and then patch is screwed down onto the jag's head by the brush's threads. then a patch is wrapped over the brush.

spritzed with plain water, moose milk, LVL, or whatever cleaning concoction one prefers, the custom jag/brush cleans both the bore and ante-chamber in well swell foop.

so where can ya get this special patent breech jag/brush tool???

I'm sure that tool would work great but, no disrespect intended, it sure looks like a PITA. Cutting patches, getting them stuck on the bristles of the brush while trying to put them on the jag. Its 6 one way, half a dozen the other I suppose. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Below isn't the T/C brush I use but it looks exactly the same. The bristles curl up on the edges fitting the belled portion of the breech plug as you spin it with the rod.

Then again we could just break out the pressure washer. Slap the barrel in a vise and go to town getting that jewel clean!

Perma-Banned
    if it's a used gun, after you clean it right once & know what's what, the OP's method borders on overkill IMHO. but, I'll be the first to admit it, I've only been shootin' these things for 45yrs so it's likely I don't know much. but, in that time I've never had a problem with powder contamination, never had a breechplug get stopped or gummed up & never had a barrel to rust away. again IMHO he'd be better served if he quit slatherin' his bore with oil then lettin' run down into the combustion chamber to set-up & gum-up the works. no matter what the pre-shootin' routine afterwards no way you'll get it all out of the flash channel. after cleanin' & dryin' the bore I give'em a small shot of Barricade & set'em in the rack MUZZLE-DOWN and as stated earlier, I've never had one to gunk/gum-up & contaminate my charge or ever had a barrel to rust away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    I'm sure that tool would work great but, no disrespect intended, it sure looks like a PITA. Cutting patches, getting them stuck on the bristles of the brush while trying to put them on the jag. Its 6 one way, half a dozen the other I suppose. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Below isn't the T/C brush I use but it looks exactly the same. The bristles curl up on the edges fitting the belled portion of the breech plug as you spin it with the rod.

Then again we could just break out the pressure washer. Slap the barrel in a vise and go to town getting that jewel clean!
    yer bristle brush is still a separate operation , i'm talking about doing two steps in one and sticking on the cleaning patches goes quicker than you'd think.

and can't take a pressure washer afield easily ... i don't think?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    This is my set up for steam cleaning my Rifles.I have taken to Loading my whitworth Rifle as followsowder,Bullet And wipe.Previously I wiped then loaded but found I was dropping debris into the Chamber each time and getting many misfires.It fires every time now.
    I've been interested in using a steam cleaners like yours. Did you make a long wand for the bore, or are you just using the standard attachments? Thanks, I'll be using it on my patent breech PH Volunteer.

Perma-Banned
    Attachment 184797

Attachment 184798

This is mine, its actually from TC themselves, called a Patented breech scraper, designed to fit perfectly in their patented breeches and scrape the Crud out, if any is present

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    if it's a used gun, after you clean it right once & know what's what, the OP's method borders on overkill IMHO. but, I'll be the first to admit it, I've only been shootin' these things for 45yrs so it's likely I don't know much. but, in that time I've never had a problem with powder contamination, never had a breechplug get stopped or gummed up & never had a barrel to rust away. again IMHO he'd be better served if he quit slatherin' his bore with oil then lettin' run down into the combustion chamber to set-up & gum-up the works. no matter what the pre-shootin' routine afterwards no way you'll get it all out of the flash channel. after cleanin' & dryin' the bore I give'em a small shot of Barricade & set'em in the rack MUZZLE-DOWN and as stated earlier, I've never had one to gunk/gum-up & contaminate my charge or ever had a barrel to rust away.
    Bubba.50, I do everything overkill! Heck, back before i was married i went home with fat girl once a whole bunch of times!! LOL, not really
    I DEFINITELY plan to change my routine a bit, i will continue to use the new style pump spray Rem oil and coat my bore good after she's clean and dried out good, but i will DEFINITELY be parking my rifles business end down from now on!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast