Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: any Load Data on Magtech brass and 410?????

Boolit Master

any Load Data on Magtech brass and 410?????

I've looked and looked but can't find any reloading data on Magtech brass and the 410. Of course Hodgdon's and alliant's site has info for plastic, but no one has data. Called Hodgdon, nata. Called Magtech, nata. From what I've read: Large pistol primer, Powder(?), .430 shot card, 1/2 once shot wad F 410sc or 2 fiber wads one with oil one without, 1/2 ounce of shot, .450 shot card, glue. Does anyone have the info on the powder and amount???? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ has a load data book but it only contains Black Powder recipes and only for 12, 20 and 16g. I thought this would be a great way to reload the 410 but lack of data stinks.
    If anyone is interested a Lee reloader knock off: http://lane371.dotster.com/410.html

Boolit Buddy

410 Load Data

410 load data0001.pdf
    This is what I started at with 444 Marlin conversions.

They don't have a base wad either
    Last edited by BUCKEYE BANDIT; 01-04-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added info
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

That works!!!! Thanks Buckeye. From what I've read the Magtech brass is just over sized and needs a nitro card at .430 to get somewhat of a gas seal or you'll get blow-by. But like I said that works.

Boolit Master
    Regarding the 3/8oz loads, in brass cases, one can use 6-7 grains of powders like W231 or 7.5-8gr of Unique with good results. The Magtech brass cases are really thin and oversize, so I make my own with a 7/16" chinese punch.

Using a single RB I was able to punch 2" at 35 yards using the loads I mention, so there's power behind. Also, shooting a stack of old notebooks, I achieved about 2" too, shooting both factory 1/5oz slugs and my RB load. Shot loads also pattern well up to 20 yds (using my smoothbore Judge).

What I done is cut with like stated 7/16" cutter I use a gasket hole punch and use cracker box cardboard and put 2 over the powder of the data there is for the size load you looking for. and then I cut with the same cutter from 1/8" cork sheet i got at the farm fleet store not far from me and put 5 over the 2 cards and that will be for 3/4oz of shot and then 2 over shot cards and glue.I made this for the 3" brass .I made them from the 9.3x74R like in one of the post on here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-410-reloading
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Mold
    Dad and I worked up a load for brass .410 shotshells the other day. Considering that I have found absolutely no load data for brass shotshells. As always, if you decide to do this, be safe and work up your load. This is not a published load and may not work correctly in your firearm.

We started with four grains of Universal Clays which was essentially a pop gun. We tried 5 grains, then we worked up to 6.5 grains which seemed to be a good trap load, and then 7 grains which then seemed to be a good squirrel load. Used a 1/2 oz. of shot originally but I increased the load to 7/10 oz.

The CBC brass hulls (by Magtech) use Large Pistol Primers. That's extremely handy when you don't want to have to stock an extra set of primers for your shotguns
    Components used in one shotshell, in order:

1. CBC .410 Hull
    2. Federal Large Pistol Primer
    3. 7 Grains of Universal Clays
    4. .125 Maxi Nitro Over-Powder Card
    5. .430 Fiber Cushion Wad
    6. .030 Overshot Card

Then, use a bead of Duco Cement around the edges of the overshot card to seal the overshot card to ensure it doesn't fall out while jostling around in a pocket, etc.

Might I add, I don't know I'll ever start using plastic shot-cups in my reloads. The paper and fiber wads decompose and don't leave a mess in the woods, but I've found plastic wads from years gone by... they don't biodegrade.

I ordered my brass hulls at MidwayUSA and my fiber wads and cards from Ballistic Products, Inc. I'm not affiliated with either company and don't care where you get your stuff.

Oh, and a universal decapping die from Lee is handy for popping out the spent primers.

If you're interested in seeing a video I made of the process the link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2ZkRQlL9o

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Old thread, but I figured I would spread the intel I found today:

From the 1966 ALCAN manual, for brass shells, for a 2 1/2" 410 shell One uses 15gr 2400, a .135" over-powder card, a 1/4" fiber wad, 1/2oz. of shot.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Ive posted elsewhere a link to "everlasting .410 shells" a google search should turn it up...KIWI fella goes by handle of"wingman" is using obscure european cartridge and converting then...9.3x???? with great results...will be directly transpherable to what your doing.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I've looked and looked but can't find any reloading data on Magtech brass and the 410. Of course Hodgdon's and alliant's site has info for plastic, but no one has data. Called Hodgdon, nata. Called Magtech, nata. From what I've read: Large pistol primer, Powder(?), .430 shot card, 1/2 once shot wad F 410sc or 2 fiber wads one with oil one without, 1/2 ounce of shot, .450 shot card, glue. Does anyone have the info on the powder and amount???? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ has a load data book but it only contains Black Powder recipes and only for 12, 20 and 16g. I thought this would be a great way to reload the 410 but lack of data stinks.
    If anyone is interested a Lee reloader knock off: http://lane371.dotster.com/410.html
    I worked up to trapdoor 45/70 loads with 410 mag tech brass in an H&R with Hodgdon powder suitable for reduced loads from a Lee manual. The recoil was plentiful. The brass held up just fine. Stuck with pistol primers as an early pressure indicator of sorts.

Boolit Master
    ive got some of those brass 410 shells I picked up at a public range. I sure aint no ballistics engineer the most I'll do with them is maybe someday use them in a shell display like winchester and Remington used to provide to gun shops way back when they were respected American owned companies that make guns and ammo folks could rely on.
    have you asked the good folks at ballistic products if they might be able to help with load data?

Boolit Master

13.0 gr Lil'Gun under 1/2 oz #8 or #9 shot (Claybuster red wads - WAA41) in a .444 Marlin brass case (overshot card sealed with hot glue) gives me around 1,200 fps - roughly equiv in velocity to Win AA.

Note: an over-powder wad is essential in brass cases to avoid bloopers - card works fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	309878
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-28-2023 at 11:40 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    good stuff.

Boolit Mold
    Good read.
    I'm just about to try fire forming 303 in to 410 brass and I'm sure glad I found this site.
    Lots of great info so far!

Boolit Master
    Good info. I a side not ya think Lee would have listed it right, there just ain’t no such thing as a 410 gauge it’s a bore size! If it was a gauge it would be like a 67 gauge lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Oh almost forgot the most important thing. You can use the load data from a federal target hull (straight walled hull). The data is on the Hodgdon site. You have to figure your own gas seal and wads. I’d also feel comfortable with Alliant data. I might even call them. There tech. Have always help me with odd ball stuff. Don’t know about calling ballistic don’t have any first hand knowledge on them.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Mold
    Good read.
    I'm just about to try fire forming 303 in to 410 brass and I'm sure glad I found this site.
    Lots of great info so far!