Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JATO REPORT: LEE, Jr. (President)

JATO REPORT: LEE, Jr. (President)

Following is the offer from LEE PRECISION, office of the president:

==================================================

If we want a 48% discount on our custom cut mold purchases (and everything else from LEE PRECISION) we can do the following:

Find ONE (1) civic minded member whose stay-at-home wife wants a part-time type stay-at-home job. This could be a retired couple or a young couple whose child raising needs has locked Mom away from working outside the home.

We would pay a bit extra for this person's time in collecting and processing our individual orders, but on the whole we would save a good bit of money as our $56 custom cut six bangers cost say $35-$36 now (delivered).

It would be nice if this person was centrally located in the USA to cut down on the required postage amounts, but this is not absolutely required.

HONCHOS -- PLEASE CONSIDER STOPPING ANY LEE CHECK FOR A MOLD ORDER THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN ACTUALLY SENT OUT TO LEE AND CONSIDER HOLDING THEM UNTIL THE FIRST OF NEXT YEAR. (our stuff in motion is considerable $$$ right now and could tally up to ringing this $6,000 bell fairly easily if held until after the first)

Amass all the money and route it all through our front person on Jan 1st, 2006. If we sent a single order for $6,000 (at the 48% discounted rate mind you) we as a CAST BOOLITS group qualify for a LEE Distributorship. We get our initial order and all following orders at a 48% discount. This order can be ANY LEE products, custom cut mold orders, pots, cast iron LEE presses -- anything LEE makes.

$6000 is 240 six banger molds or 310 pistol molds or some other combo of LEE items. We bought more custom cut molds than this quantity this past year, but not all at the same time. As individuals, we also bought a whole $$$ lot $$$ of LEE stuff over the year (die sets, pots, you name it).

Next year we could order it through our front person and get the discount, not only on these normal items but on our custom cut molds as well.

This is LEE's best offer ......

=====================================

Or, we could front all our custom mold purchases through an existing LEE Master Distributor at about the same price. Midsouth and Graf's come to mind as folks who have indicated interest in this sort of relationship the past. If we brushed this relationship off and refined it a bit they could be our front persons for all our custom cut molds as well.

Discussion time ......

who is the first one to say "this really isn't a very good offer from LEE"

(remember, LEE master distributors can sell it at 48% off all day long because they get an additional discount of 10-20 off the 48% normal distributor pricing and as big mail order boys they can make a good overall profit off this sort of thin margin)

But remember .......

To enter into rifles or other forms of DISCOUNTED group buying, we need a single centralized front person to do ordering for us, even our group custom cut mold orders.

Your thoughts?

Oldfeller
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Kelly-

You've outdone yourself. This is a very good notion. Glenn has been talking about this for some time. Lar45, where are you?

I thought about Lar and I thought about Starmetal Joe -- either of which could do this particular trick and get a small part-time income out of it. Lar, I also thought about buying him a small CNC lathe and cranking him up in the mold making business, this is very similar to how Mountain Molds got started except Dan found his own CNC rig (used).

Somebody could grow a home-based internet-based business out of this deal (and that would be fine by me -- just dandy as a matter of fact).

I always like it when list members get ahead in the world.

Oldfeller

Boolit Master
    hopefully we could get someone in a no sales tax state....
    once we move to a dist , me thinks you run into being a biz......and all the bs that goes with it.
    maybe we can continue as just a hobby group...and not get listed as a biz...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Most of us are out of state to anybody else, and so far you are not required to collect sales taxes for other states off internet orders.

Still, for somebody to front firearms sales they would need a FFL

(we would still be better off to get a Savage part number created and get Wal-Mart to put it in their computer lay-away system (our individual member would show up at any Wal-Mart lay-away desk and say "Punch this bar code number into your system and see what it says".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller
    Most of us are out of state to anybody else, and so far you are not required to collect sales taxes for other states off internet orders.

Still, for somebody to front firearms sales they would need a FFL

(we would still be better off to get a Savage part number created and get Wal-Mart to put it in their computer lay-away system (our individual member would show up at any Wal-Mart lay-away desk and say "Punch this bar code number into your system and see what it says".

This would definitely be the best way. Whatever price we get, then adding shipping, FFL Fees, and possibly state fees on to that, would sure run the price up over WalMart's price. Those items would total out to about $60 in my case.

Banned
    aaaaaah...Starmetalusa.com....I like the sound of that. Hmmmm have to thing that over.

Joe

Boolit Master
    you two are going ffl..i never said that, just the problems of being "in business" and delivering products . we were talking lee's line not guns...
    lets stick with the lee stuff...would love to see the cost of moulds go down...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Gentlemen (term used loosely for some here).

My wife (housewife) has a business Lic already. She dabled in a small business a few years ago and still has her tax number and license.

From what I understand, getting an FFL anymore without a store front is not all that easy and with my personal collection, I really do not like the idea of BATF rooting around in my house when ever they darn well please.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Banned

I run a strictly online business at home. My storefront is my Website.

I sell logsplitters nationwide, and in Canada/Alaska, and have been for bout 4 years.

I developed a system that is email based, and tracks everything, and every sale, invoice, and I can look up the status of a customers order by search instantly.

There is virtually no paperwork involved, as it is email based, and for this type of venture it is perfect, and time involved is kept at a minimum.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-04-2005 at 12:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Lee Molds

Back in August, in this forum, there is a thread titled Lee Molds. Much of it applies to this thread.
    Go to the Group Buy section and at the bottom you will see a drop down menu that says "last month" change that to 100 days and go to page two and you should see it.
    Exactly what would be the role of our Lee Master Distributer, the Honcho, and the individual buyers?

Should we pay for our Lee Master Distributor to be bonded?

Would the role of Honcho remain the same except for the extra step of going via our new Lee Master Distributer? How much delay will this add?

When there is a conflict with a mold, will Lee be dealing with its new Lee Master Distributer or with the Honcho?

We have a system that now works. Making a change, just to reduce costs, may give us a system that adds delay, ends up costing more, and in the end just not work.

Lots of questions without answers. This is a major change. Go slowly.

Bob

I don't know the best way to handle all of this, but I do know I sent Lee a Cashier's check for over $3,000.00 ten days ago. It is too late now, as they are grinding the tooling and processing the order, but I just wanted to mention the amount, so you could figure it in your thinking.

(not master distributor - that's like Midsouth or Midway in size)

Roles of LEE Distributor
    Take check & order from Honcho, place order with LEE, harass with LEE over nit-picking details (like tolerances left off drawings) recieve order, ship order after Honcho review. "Holding the bag for LEE errors" will tend to rotate to this job as they deal directly with LEE on all jobs, so this job will also have to act as the inbound filter for poor or incomplete concept work on our end and the reverse filter for LEE screwups from LEE's end. Will likely wind up training/supporting new Honchos while they learn the ropes.

Role of Honcho
    Champion an idea, find a designer to draw it up, make sure drawing has all required design details & tolerancing. Responsible to drum up the 25 orders for the design. Honcho holds the bag for his design work and his concept work and should review (actually cast and measure) sample molds off a newly made LEE run before the LEE Distributor actually ships the molds out to everybody. The Honcho is the QC responsible person, the end user should NOT be the person responsible for vetting LEE's work -- it is too damn late at that point in time.

Role of Designer
    Good drawing practices, dimensioning and tolerancing. Gun experience and experience fitting throats, etc. on the guns in question strongly desireable. Complete drawings will be needed to make this system work.

Role of Customer
    Read the design drawing, decide if it will fit your gun correctly. If not, ask for changes to accomodate your needs. If you don't understand a design detail, ask for clarification. Don't "just buy it because it is there" -- ASK questions.

Boolit Master
    I have about $2500 for LEE soon. Just watching this thread.

David

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I don't have a problem with it, it will let me buy MORE molds

I can't really hold the group buy I have checks deposited for right now tho. It has drug on quite a bit past it's due date already.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller in Reply #13 - A good outline of Roles
    Roles of LEE Distributor
    Take check & order from Honcho
    Following suggestions/comments are submitted for your consideration.

Honcho will also have to send the drawing. This will allow the Lee Distributor to send the order, drawing and payment in one package to Lee.

In time, I see the Honcho working up the interest from member as the design is developed and when it appears the numbers are high enough, to tell members to send payment to our Lee Distributor. The fewer in-between steps for the money to flow, the better.

Finding an individual who has the skills, knowledge and the software & hardware to track buyers, payments and to make refunds is the hard part of this concept. At a later date, when this individual is no longer able to work as our Lee Distributor, finding another who will be able to jump in and start running may be even harder.

Bob

So would the minimum order for custom molds still be 100 for the discount?

Boolit Buddy

Mold Identification - Marking

Having our own Lee Distributor would also allow having the molds marked in a uniform manner for easy and positive identification. It is something that can only be done by having all orders funnel through a single point of contact.

For consideration -

It would be useful if we could get Lee to mark these molds such as CB-xx-yy-zz where
    xx = caliber
    yy = weight
    zz = nose and base shape such as FNGC, RNBB, or RNFB

or CB-ABCD with the suffix assigned by us and listed in a reference page in our forum. Increase the suffix number by one with each new group order and update the reference page.

The value added is well worth the extra dollar or two Lee would change for this identification marking.

Yes, I know each of us can mark our mold, but the resulting markings will never be the same.

Months and years from now, when these molds are sold, as they are now unmarked, it will almost be like buyng from a grab-bag.

Bob

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I can say from experience that we may not want checks from 25-50 people for 4 differant group buys going to the poor LEE dist. Might be better to do it "home party" style and have the Honcho at least collect them, and mail them to the Dist. in one envelope all at one time.

Keeping TWO group buys straight and even asking people nicely to identify what they are sending $$ for, and WHO they are ie email, bollits handle, real name is tough, plus posting "who has paid" lists. I cannot imagine trying to do it with 4 going on at once .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Man
    If Willbird and DavidR are holding the amount of money I think they are we should be right about there now.

It seems that one factor in interest in a custom mold is cost. There are several I'd like to have but my funds are limited. It sounds like for an additional 16 bucks I could have two molds instead of one. And BTW I just ordered a Pro pot 4 and a .311 sizer through Midway that should be here Monday. With shipping a tad over 70.00.

Personally given the choice I'd wait a few extra weeks and save the $$. Especially if a deserving member's family benefitted.

That's my .02

Brian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast