Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: School me on the LNL AP press.

That escalated quickly.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Yeah, and a pile of stuff still went for more than $150.

Boolit Master
    I thought this thread was going well. I learned a lot as I'm sure the OP did but sadly like others I've seen around on various sites it will get closed or those that have something constructive to add won't bother.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    A half a thousandth would be outstanding. What brass and primer? What pocket prep are you doing? What is your method of measurement? What are your OAL numbers, around the same variance?
    I tried taking several pictures of some 9mm but this is about the best I can do with what I have.

Let the mods handle it, man.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 01-18-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Too bad this got nasty. I never actually considered that he literally tossed a $500 press to the curb. I took it as hyperbole and that he got rid of the offending press at a steep discount. Maybe he did chuck it.....stranger things have happened but let keep it civil in any event right?
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

If you guys feel this is uncivil you should read some of the other forums I'm on. Jeez, thicken up a little folks.

I never actually considered that he literally tossed a $500 press to the curb.
    It would have been closer to $350 minus the value of the 1000 bullets he picked.

My avatar says I've been a member since 2005 but that was when the migration took place to the new server. I've actually been a member since geez, almost the beginning of the forum. Since that time, there has been a gradual but noticeable shift away from civility toward hostility. This saddens me as the one feature I've always enjoyed here is the commaradery and mutual respect. I'd like to see that return.

Most of us at one time or another are guilty of "gilding the lilly" to make a point. That doesn't make a man a liar any more than saying "I have a ton of work to do" does. It's simple exaggeration to make a point.

In this thread, there was a point when the literalness of one posters response was called into question. I really didn't see where anyone was calling the poster a liar. It seemed to me just friendly "prodding". The trouble is these are dangerous and passionate times and what we write can easily be misconstrued even when no insult was intended.

Thicker skin and more carefully crafted speech seems to be the order of the day. I include myself in that group as I too could use a dose of both. We are brothers of a sort. Our common mother is our love of the shooting sports and our patriotism. I'm proud to be a part of this collection of men and women. I challenge us all to work toward unity and harmony.

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.
    Reece Talley aka omgb
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Well like I said that story has become an Internet legend as pretty much all the sites I go to that story gets told on almost every thread started on the LNL. And it always ends up the same bull **** being said by the same.

Boolit Buddy
    well maybe if its the SAME story being told on ALL of the sites you go to its true and not bull****. did that go over your head too?
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Master
    I've only seen the same story from the same story teller on different sites. Nope didn't go over my head but did go through one ear and kept right on going out the other like all ******** I hear.

I prefer civility and also am serious about finding an unwanted AP a home at my house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    well maybe if its the SAME story being told on ALL of the sites you go to its true and not bull****. did that go over your head too?
    And an excellent time to discuss the merits of the under used "ignore button/feature"
    Every member has one (well, except for mods), I use it a lot, and have quite a extensive list of ignores...
    just sayin'

LL, PM me. I have two and need only one. I'm on the left coast but we may still be able to work out a deal. It is an older press so you may not be able to fit a case feeder to it but, I did upgrade the base plate and the priming system as well as the ejector. Pitch me you best price and then lets see what we can do about shipping. Press, powder measure and at least one shell plate (30-06 I think) Shoot, I almost forgot, I also upgraded to a roller handle.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Well mine got here today! I got quite a few shellplates cheap for it. This weekend I will put it to work. I only have a few things to load on it from .32 to .50 cal stuff. Can't do 500 Linebaugh till my custom shellplate shows up. I wish Dillon made one for the 650 or somebody. It's a dream to load on the 550. The LNL AP is surprising light for a progressive. Well I will get it cleaned and tuned up this weekend. I really like the ability to switch it and the Iron Press back and forth with the Inline Fabrication mount. Hopefully I can get it running smoothly by taking the advice from here and youtube.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

I have only ran about 50,000 on my LNL's. They work well for me but do take some TLC. I also owned a 550 and SDB. Good luck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    Well mine got here today! I got quite a few shellplates cheap for it. This weekend I will put it to work. I only have a few things to load on it from .32 to .50 cal stuff. Can't do 500 Linebaugh till my custom shellplate shows up. I wish Dillon made one for the 650 or somebody. It's a dream to load on the 550. The LNL AP is surprising light for a progressive. Well I will get it cleaned and tuned up this weekend. I really like the ability to switch it and the Iron Press back and forth with the Inline Fabrication mount. Hopefully I can get it running smoothly by taking the advice from here and youtube.

Take care

r1kk1
    Sounds good. I hope you have the same luck with yours as I've had with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post

Take care

r1kk1
    The most difficult set-up on my LnL was the powder throw and the linkage...it was my first mechanically operated throw. Understand how it works and how to adjust the case expander and you'll have a good handle on the entire press. All the other die adjustments are just standard fare.
    When I tear my throw down for another caliber, I'll take time to run a tablespoon of dry graphite through it to lube it up well and to micro-coat the metering hole of the drum. I put my graphite container under the throw and get almost all of the graphite back.
    Do you intend to run a powder cop?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    The most difficult set-up on my LnL was the powder throw and the linkage...it was my first mechanically operated throw. Understand how it works and how to adjust the case expander and you'll have a good handle on the entire press. All the other die adjustments are just standard fare.
    When I tear my throw down for another caliber, I'll take time to run a tablespoon of dry graphite through it to lube it up well and to micro-coat the metering hole of the drum. I put my graphite container under the throw and get almost all of the graphite back.
    Do you intend to run a powder cop?
    cant run a powder cop if you're gonna run a bullet feeder, and sep crimp. That's the 5 station conundrum. I wish Hornady would come up with a non-station powder cop.

Take heed to clean the powder measure well, it looks clean and I skimped on cleaning one of mine and it never did throw well until full brake cleaner treatment. I like the graphite idea! Where do you find that stuff? DOnt tell me, amazon! Or wait, it's casboolits so we probably grind our own pencil lead reclaimed from the pencil sharpener?

Run over the press with a flat file to slick up the shell plate base and case ejector, and the primer shuttle. then, order the arbor shims to tighten up the action, its worth it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast