Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block Carbine 50-45-400???

Boolit Master

Mine is a bit of a mix too. It seems to have a home made firing pin, or one that was modified. But it does work. I put some pics of my extractor repair in the gun smithing forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bine-extractor

Boolit Master

Here is my navy carbine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200125_131855_35.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Here is my navy carbine.
    Oh crud ... man I need one of these ... thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Oh crud ... man I need one of these ... thanks
    Lol - they are sweet. At 62, I'm getting to the point where I appreciate lighter recoil. The .50-45 is more comfortable than my .50-70s.

Coincidentally, the same cartridge runs in my centerfire model 1871 Springfield Spencer 2 band rifle. This rifle has a longer chamber than earlier Spencers. It took a lot of trial and error to figure that out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200126_170846.jpg  

I really enjoy mine. I am the original thread starter It took me awhile to figure out where it was shooting. But it was my first black powder cartridge.

I know mine is not original but I would like to figure out what it was before it was a carbine.

1) A Navy barrel and a Springfield receiver? I thought I understood that threading these barrel never aligned the same between two receivers.

2) A cut down rifle. But how did it get that chamber?

3) There was a few army rolling block carbines but they had a longer forearm. I really doubt this.

Banned

here is my ancient remington roller #1-1/2 .45-70 that may get rechambered in .32-20 and "carbine-ized" ...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    I really enjoy mine. I am the original thread starter It took me awhile to figure out where it was shooting. But it was my first black powder cartridge.

I know mine is not original but I would like to figure out what it was before it was a carbine.

1) A Navy barrel and a Springfield receiver? I thought I understood that threading these barrel never aligned the same between two receivers.

2) A cut down rifle. But how did it get that chamber?

3) There was a few army rolling block carbines but they had a longer forearm. I really doubt this.
    Can you post some good photos of your carbine, and any marks? Does it have the concave or flat breech block? Original navy carbines had the concave block. I'm pretty certain that my barrel is an original navy carbine barrel. It has a nice anchor over the chamber. It also has the original carbine rear sight. The action is a later type with the flat block ground to work with the barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200201_201502.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbine 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	255925

Name:	Carbine 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	255926

Name:	Carbine 3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	255927

Name:	Carbine 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	255928

Boolit Master

It has a Springfield m1868 rear sight. This was probably taken off the original barrel removed from that action. Do you have Hosmer's book on .50 and .58 cal Springfield rifles? It is a great resource. Yours looks similar but not the same as the model 1870 Springfield experimental carbine.

Boolit Master
    WOW! KILLER ROUNDS. I want some of them to shoot in my REM. RB. CARBINE.

Boolit Bub
    I have one built up on a 43 Spanish action using one of the Dixie surplus Navy barrels. My favorite load uses 5744 and the Lyman 515139 350 grain bullet in 25:1 alloy. 40 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 has worked well too. The cases are trimmed to 1.30" from 50-70 brass. Maybe both are called 50-45s but the 50 Springfield Cadet and 50 Navy carbine cartridges are slightly different in length, the Cadet being a little longer.
    labop

Boolit Master
    what load of smokeless powder load can I use in my 50/45, REM. carbine?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I'm generally not a fan of smokeless in these early rollers. That being said, if you don't want to use black powder, I think Blackhorn 209 black powder substitute is a good compromise. It is essentially a bulk smokeless powder with a smoke agent added. It is non corrosive, clean burning and very accurate in many of my old rifles. The only downside is the price, but its worth it to me. My .50-45 will shoot under 2" groups at 50 yards using 27.0gr of BH 209 and Rapine 350 bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    If this was a Navy Carbine it will have an "Anchor" on the barrel top and should be one on the receiver right side.
    Saw some factory made brass some where... Maybe Huntington ???
    Mike in Peru
    I had one ages ago, and pre-internet. Got 50-70 brass from Dixie Gunworks, and trimmed them. The barrel had the anchor on it. Loaded a few with BP and 50 cal. round balls. It worked.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    If the gun is truly an original, real black powder only would be how I'd load for it.

For modern steel cartridge guns that can handle smokeless, such as a Henry S/S in .45-70, I load AA5744 smokeless powder as it is designed to work in these kind of guns, but with no fillers or wads or compression, and works well with very loose powder loads.

https://www.accuratepowder.com/faq/#section8

Boolit Master
    what load of powder do you use, in the 50/45, BP, or SMOKELESS? I have a NAVAL CADET RIFEL, that I want to shoot. is there any other case that can be used rather than a 50/ 70 cut to length? thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad that you had good fortune figuring out what you RB is...mine has been driving me nuts trying to cipher what it is!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Lol - they are sweet. At 62, I'm getting to the point where I appreciate lighter recoil. The .50-45 is more comfortable than my .50-70s.

Coincidentally, the same cartridge runs in my centerfire model 1871 Springfield Spencer 2 band rifle. This rifle has a longer chamber than earlier Spencers. It took a lot of trial and error to figure that out.
    at 62, just wait till you are 77+++. recoil hurts even worse!! but I will never become a 22 shooter because of recoil!

Any idea of a price range they have seen those old 50 carbines (rolling block) for sale?
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim2 View Post
    Any idea of a price range they have seen those old 50 carbines (rolling block) for sale?
    Check Guns International, Gunbroker and the like for current $$.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast