Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Block Carbine 50-45-400???

Rolling Block Carbine 50-45-400???

I just got a antique rolling block carbine. The barrel is a 50 cal. So I thought it must be a .50-70. A friend gave a .50-70 brass. Its way too long (.3"). But the .50-70 brass mics out to the correct dimensions. I saw a MidwayUSA video on YouTube for a .50-45-400. I am looking for cartridge dimensions. Any one have them. I did find one mention that the brass length should be between 1.25 and 1.30.

Any help would be appreciated

Have a Happy New Year

Lost

Boolit Master
    A chamber cast will tell you what you need to know.

My best guess would be the 50 carbine round: Case length 1.34", head diameter .565", rim diameter .660", neck diameter .536". This round is in "Cartridges of the World" 4th addition page 126.

Good luck.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a .50 cadet the cases can be made from .50-70 government. If the bore is in good shape it will be a fun shooter. Like the other poster said you can get the information from cartridges of the world including loading data.

Made some cartridges went to the range. Good accuracy at 75 yards. Had some fun.

This site has been a great resource for all my projects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50-45-400.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	183939

OK my curiosity is up ... What is the cartridge name and what is your load ... What is your "good accuracy"?

Interesting post ... Really want to know

That 50-45 was it not a cartridge the navy used?
    I believe it was also the first military contract that Remington got from the US Government.
    I have the Carbine and the Rifle..
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Maybe it's just a 12mm Swedish rolling block, pretty close to 50-70 except for the length and the rim dia.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    If this was a Navy Carbine it will have an "Anchor" on the barrel top and should be one on the receiver right side.
    Saw some factory made brass some where... Maybe Huntington ???
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

The receiver says us Springfield 1872 and on the side model 1871. The barrel ha no anchor mark or nickel plating.

Its a hoot to shoot 405gr sized to .510. 40grs bp.

At 75 yards I hit a 8 inch round steel target. With all 8 shots. Between work and miserable cold no chance to reload again. Maybe this weekend.

Had some more fun today.

Loaded up some ammunition.

405gr sized to .510. 35grs bp

Chrono Data

9 out of 10 shots hit a 10in plate at 100 yards

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Sounds like you are headed down the road just fine.
    You might want to work on your powder compression. Keeps notes on this as it will pay off. for compression you can use felt wads (best) cardboard, cereal box wads... Then there is corn meal, cream of wheat...
    The goal is to find at what compression of the BP the load shoots the best. Compression does good things to BP. Too much can swell the case. But 1/16 of an inch is my starting place with these light loads and add to it.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    It could be a 12.7x44R.some have been modified to take both 50-70 and 12.7x44R.This rifle will take bth Successfully.

Boolit Master
    Yea, but what brass are you using???? 50-70? As said before many of those Swedish 12.7X44R will accept a 50-70 case, while some will not take a 50-70 case without a tad of work. The rim of the 50-70 is a tad too large, and the brass won't fully chamber in some of the 12.7X44R chambers.

They're fun to shoot - just shot a few rounds myself and learning to shoot with iron sights again.

Ken H>

I am using .50-70 brass cut down to length. The rims fit fine. Diameter looks good and the thickness doesn't prevent the block from seating tightly.

I am assuming the barrel is a US manufacture because the action is a 1871 US Springfield. I think the Swedish barrels are metric threads because they were manufactured in Europe would not fit a US made action. Or at least that what I have been told.

The length of the brass is about 1.3 inches which is shorter than the 44MM of the 12.7X44R

Boolit Master
    I've got 3 of the Swedish actions and two of them are the standard 12 TPI square thread. One is a much finer thread which I didn't measure. I need to take it down again just to measure the threads.

It does sound like you've got a 50 carbine there - I'd never heard of that before (I'm very new at this). Here's a bit more info about what is most likely your round. http://www.oldammo.com/january10.htm

Ken H>

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Yea, but what brass are you using???? 50-70? As said before many of those Swedish 12.7X44R will accept a 50-70 case, while some will not take a 50-70 case without a tad of work. The rim of the 50-70 is a tad too large, and the brass won't fully chamber in some of the 12.7X44R chambers.

They're fun to shoot - just shot a few rounds myself and learning to shoot with iron sights again.

Ken H>
    Yes my Rifle is stamped 50/70,I have some 50/70 cases,I also have 12.7 x 44r cases that are slightly shorter and the heads are smaller but engage the extractor.The 12.7 x 44R cases Balloon slightly just under the head but shoot as good as the 50/70s.

Boolit Master
    You actually have some 12.7 x 44R cases? WOW - that's neat. Are these original brass? BTW, do you have a measurement on the length of the 12.7 x 44R cases? I've got drawings showing 2 different lengths shown, from different books. One gives 1.703" while other sources give lengths up to 1.746" which seems too long. The 50-70 is 1.750"

Ken H>

Boolit Master

Resurrecting this old thread.

Is anyone still shooting a .50-45 navy RB carbine? I just picked up one built from parts, not an original M1867 action. But it looks good and has a mint bore. I know Dixie used to sell these barrels. I'm sure someone built this up using one of these barrels. On mine the stud extractor was made with a very poor welding job. I ground it off, welded up the area and
    machined a new extractor stud from it.

I've only shot it once so far. Used 43gr of 2F and a Rapine 350 bullet. It shot quite well at 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot mine yet. It too is made up of many different numbered parts. I need to make a proper firing pin and firing pin re-tractor and the lever and spring to hold the breech block closed. The barrel, like your's, is like new inside. With any luck it will be ready to shoot when the weather breaks about the first of April.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast