WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Pro, I crummy way to run a sale.

Boolit Master

Bass Pro, I crummy way to run a sale.

Boy oh boy, am I unset at Bass Pro shops. Yesterday in the main I got a flyer for a Bass Pro "sale" running Dec. 26, to Jan. 1. Notice the flyer came one day after the start of the sale. They listed a 50% off on selected Redhead products. One item was bedroom slippers listed at $30 sale price $15. Today I went to the shop and looked for the sale items. They were scattered around the footwear area to the point I had to find a employee to help me find the slippers I was looking for. There they were tucked up in a corner on two small shelves. All 7 boxes of slippers were size 14. I asked the employee if this was all they had and she said that that was it. I asked how come you advertise a 7 day sale and on the third day this is all you have? She said "Oh, we get all of the slippers from the warehouse for Christmas and this sale just before Christmas. What you see here is the left overs from that. We apparently sold almost all of them at $30 before this sale started. Is there any other slippers I can show you?" When I get done with this rant I am going on line to their catalog and try the "We will ship them to your local store free." feature and see how that turns out.
    Ole "Miffed as Heck" Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Perma-Banned

They run these after Christmas sales to get rid of inventory that was not sold before Christmas...not to resupply the store with inventory to sell at half price.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Life is rough in the Free world Jack!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Not unusual at all. The main "miffing point" of the sales flyers that they have any time of year, is that they also only had 2 or 3 of the item that I wanted. So they send out thousands of sales flyers and on the big morning, the first couple of guys in the door get those items and the rest is just as you found it.... scattered unpopular sizes. And it isn't limited to just Bass Pro either. Gander Mountain will have a big sale as well, knowing that their seven day sale will be devoid of .22 ammo and the most common sizes of that nice hunting jacket after the first 20 guys through the door at the opening bell. But that's just how they do it.
    I have complained to them often that they just can't hold a multi-county sale over several days when they only start out with a dozen or so of the sale item!!! But they don't care, it gets people in the door and those people buy other things instead. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.
    But I feel your pain.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Yes I am sure you are right, but I just don't think it is right.
    I just went to the online catalog and ordered the pair I wanted which will be sent free to the store. If I have them sent to my home they will charge shipping. The computer order taker said they were in stock and would be sent right out. They seem to have split their inventory between the stores and the catalog warehouse. OK, I been cogitating on this, with the disclaimer that while I worked at very large companies that make military stuff, I don't know how a large store and catalog business works. So... I guess they have to do what they can to get rid of sale inventory, especially after a big holiday. I also would think that before the sales someone has to estimate how much of each item to order from a manufacturer. Not knowing what inventory of slippers there are left in all the stores, I don't know how many customers were disappointed like me. And knowing my own shopping habits runs to wanting to see the item before buying, the stores would probably run out of the popular sizes before the sale has hardly started. If that is sort of the way it works, maybe I was a bit hasty with my criticism. What do you all think?
    Ole "Barefoot" Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    maybe I was a bit hasty with my criticism. What do you all think?
    Mountain out of mole hill. But hey, at least you learned from it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I hate big box stores, "Sales" almost always cost more in aggravation than they are worth. Like driving across town for the "cheap" gas.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

Like it or not these sales are desighned for 2 things (neither of which is to actually sell the items listed). One is to reduce inventory on items moving slow, end of season, tax time stocks, or older stock. The big reason is to get people in the stores. While you might not get the "sale" items you went in for, you almost always leave with a few spurr of the moment purchases that werent in the sales fliers either. Alot of sales fliers state someplace limited to in store stock , or something similar. Its all marketing and a way to get the impulse buys in their stores.

country gent got it. Worked in retail most of my life and YES that is how it works, and YES it works well for the retailer.

Yeah, well I was getting emails from bass pro on their sales items between black Friday and first of December. Now I don't have a local BP, closest is little Rock and I go through there about every 6 weeks. Just so happens that I was traveling thru the same day. Good price on 22 ammo, I'll pick up a couple of boxes....
    Found them in store and the price was not listed as sale.

Well, no, sale was for on line sales only!!!!!!

Needless to say they didn't sell me anything that day..... And sale price not worth paying shipping and sales tax on.....

Banned

go to the customer service section and ask for a 'rain-check' on those items.
    this is basically calling them out on their ad.
    it also says something when they cheerfully give you one because a 50% off sale where they are making money on an item says something about their markup.

Boolit Grand Master

Almost all sales are for in store items only. Doesn't hurt to ask for a rain check. But you won't get one most of the time.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    And don't forget they just bought Cabelas so more junk will be coming to your mail box shortly.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I think Dennis Leary summed it up best when he said: "Why don't they just call it what it is, the STUFF we can't get rid of sale".

I always laugh inside when I hear women brag how they got stuff "on sale". My thought is you just bought something at a price today, that you would not be willing to pay a higher price for yesterday. I guess you really "NEEDED" that huh?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Ya, a rain check, getting senile, didn't even think of one and the lady shoe person didn't mention it. I don't buy much clothes stuff from BP, in fact the first time was two years ago at Christmas time they had a super sale on hunting boots, in fact you could choose Rocky or Redhead, same price and same spec's. I went down there knowing that it would be zoo time when I got there, but I really needed a good pair of boots. Went in to the shoe dept found plenty of stock on the shelves and plenty of my size. Grabbed a pair of Rocky and went to the end of the line which was very long but with a lot of people friendly people to talk to the line went quite fast, I was happy. I guess the point is that is the same service I expected today. Oh well. live and learn. Thanks guys.
    Ole Jack
    William Pitt, 1783

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    I just went to the online catalog and ordered the pair I wanted which will be sent free to the store.
    You did right. You could have called the store in advance to see if they had your size. It would have saved you a trip.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    And don't forget they just bought Cabelas so more junk will be coming to your mail box shortly.
    Please, please tell me that's a joke.

I despise Bass Pro for their ridiculous prices. Cabela's was actually reasonable.

Boolit Master
    Not a joke Jeff. Bas pro bought Cabelas. Employees don't know how it will effect them or even if the two stores will operate independently. We live in interesting times.

Well... Bummer. I don't see how that buyout can be good for anyone, except BP and their ability to raise prices in their retail market.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Well... Bummer. I don't see how that buyout can be good for anyone, except BP and their ability to raise prices in their retail market.
    Right as the rain, it's called buying out the compation, company I worked for did it a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast