Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: pcp air tank question

Boolit Master

pcp air tank question

i haven't gotten a pcp rifle yet. but in preperation for the purchase i bought a scuba tank. it is of steel construction and was only $30.00 at a garage sale; the side of the tank has 3000 pressed into it. i take this to mean that it holds 3000 psi. i think that i read that its not enough pressure to fill a pcp rifle. is this true?? seeing the prices of the air tanks i thought that $30.00 was a good buy. but if it will not work it wasn't a huge waste of money. again, do i need a higher pressure tank to fill a pcp rifle? i don't know very much about this line of air guns.

porthos

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    The tank may need to be certified.

I top the air gun tank to about 2500 to 2600 and top off with a hand pump!

I also bought a co 2 adapter for my Air Force Talon ss very quiet, lots of shots and very cheap to shoot but you lose fps

Scuba Tanks in general.

There is nothing mysterious about scuba tanks. All tanks have information stamped in the metal around the neck of the tank including, DOT identification information, the manufacturer, date of manufacture, tank material (steel or aluminum), the date of each hydro test, the tank volume and the max fill pressure. All tanks weigh a specific, easily ascertainable amount.

Is that used scuba tank you are looking at a good deal?

As a certified diver you should already know any tank, steel or aluminum, must have a current hydro test and visual inspection to be filled legally.

A hydro test (around $30.00 in my area) is required every 5 years. The date of the last, as well as every other, hydro is stamped in the metal around the neck of the tank. If the hydro is out of date you will have to have the tank hydro tested before you can get it filled. Make certain you factor the cost of a hydro test into the cost of the tank as you figure your max bid and also consider tanks fail hydro every day, very bright and shiny, otherwise new looking tanks.

A visual inspection (around $12.00) must be performed every year and a sticker is placed on the tank indicating the date the last VIS was performed. Just as with the hydro, consider the cost of a new visual inspection as you make your bids.

If the tank is more than 10 years old some shops require an EVIS (Eddy current inspection) along with the VIS. Most shops charge an additional fee for EVIS. My local shop charges $24.00 for a VIS and EVIS.

If the tank is out of date think about what it will cost in your area to get it legal and always make sure you know what a new tank will cost at your local dive store. Always take these costs into account when setting your maximum bid.
    Last edited by DCP; 12-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    If you buy a tank rated for 3000 psi then you will only be able to charge your rifle to something less. How do you intend to fill to fill the tank? If you take it to some to fill it when you get home it will be at something less than 3000 psi. If you get set up to fill it yourself then you can get closer to 3000. Of course if you fill your rifle from a 3000 psi tank then you won't over fill it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

PCP's like the Benjamin Discovery is only rated for 2000psi. So a 3000psi tank will work but the size of the tank will determine how many fills you will get.

Boolit Master

so what, in ballpark figures, would a new tank with all the current inspections cost?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    At worst if the tank is okay and you can fill it then you could use it to bring the rifle's reservoir up to near its design max and then use either a hand pump or another newer tank to top it up, saving almost all the air in the new tank so it won't require refilling quite so often.

Plenty of PCP shooters use scuba tanks so whatever fittings you'd need should be available.

Boolit Buddy
    Carbine fiber tanks are 4500 psi most scuba tanks are 3000 3300 not really enough to fill most rifles. Discoveries are 2000 but you'll only get a couple fills off a scuba tank. Most rifles are 3000 psi so scuba will barely work. Make sure you have someplace to fill a 4500 tank I don't have one within 50miles of me so I only have discos. I think Arizona air guns has a calculator to figure how many fills you'll get out of tanks.

If you have a 80 cf ft tank @ 3000psi and a Discovery rifle this is what you will get. Starting fill pressure for gun of 2000 and refill at 1000 you can fill the gun 80 times.

http://calc.sikes.us/

Vendor Sponsor

Will work for a discovery will not for a Marauder (3000 psi fill)
    As stated above there is a max life for the tank after that date is reached it can not be legally filled and a 3 or 5 year rehydro plus annual inspections
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Is that tank in date or will it require a Hydro?
    Where can you get it filled.

What regulator/hose and fittings will be needed to connect to your choice of PCP

No one has said so I will, the Disco (Discovery) will provide pretty decent performance.
    That 2,000 psi fill may work better with your tank.
    Not sure of your use, but 177 will save you some too and take care of many "pest" problems.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

The tank i bought new was around $160. the cable to hook it up to my Air Arms was about $125. My tank is filled to 3500 each time I take it in but I have to sigh a waver that I wont use it for scuba use. Once I fill my gun a few times I'm sure it drops below 3000. If you buy a tank for $30 and have the proper test for around $30 you are in it only $60 and that will last you for about 5 years. Good luck with your airgun adventures. PCP is the best way to go well worth the extra expense.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne