Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saving space...storage...containers...your solutions & pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Seems I can't submit more than 1 pic at a time. Here's the "upsidedown" shelf.
    I'd keep an eye out for one of those plastic bins that would fit into that space neatly, no telling how many spots like this one you can create. Especially the clear bins.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

When I built my shop (30X30 ft) it was mostly for my electrical business. I used one wall for shelving. I used pallet racks for this. They can be bought used for reasonable prices. They come from 12 in to 48 in deep and from 8 ft tall to maybe 28 ft tall. They are incredibly strong and are adjustable.

I lined another wall with bolt bins and small parts drawers. Bolt bins are cabinets that have individual holes in them from 4X4 to 12X12in and are 12in deep. The complete bin is 40in wide and they bolt together several ways, from stacked to end to end to back to back.This was probably overkill but I got these for a good price, cheaper than building my own and more adjustable.

This picture was of a smelting session but you can see the bins in the background.

On my loading bench, primers, jacketed bullets, dies and tools go on the bench top and the shelves. Powder is on a shelf to the right, out of the picture and cast bullets are stored in cigar boxes under the table.

My brass and lead stash is in the storeroom, next to my loading room. The plastic coffee cans work well for this. Before that I used the large white plastic cans that restraunts get their ice cream it. I've since lost that contact. My lead is stored in the form of 1# Lyman ingots and is in plastic milk crates against the wall and labeled.

I'm not as neat as some of you guys but this is messy right now, even by my standards. I've been gone for most of 6 weeks hunting and my Wife and my Housekeeper have moved stuff into my rooms in order to decorate the house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now that I'm home I'll restore some order back to these rooms.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez modern plasic large mouth peanut butter jars are great!
    Just make SURE to label everything - nice BIG letters so you can read from a distance.

Boolit Grand Master

I've posted pics of my organization before. I can't stand when tools aren't in their proper place. They end up all over when I'm working. But they are put away when done. My work vans have always been highly organized because it's how I make money. The organization transfers over into reloading.

Brass goes in five gallon buckets or flat rate boxes on the shelves. The boxes are for smaller quantities. Brass is always bagged up. Almost all of mine is in five gallon buckets. Anything smaller is to small for the quantities on hand.

Lead ingots are stored in foot lockers. Cast bullets are stored in ammo cans. Anything else is to small. An odd shape that takes up to much space. Or is an insufficient material that doesn't hold up over time.

Dies and tooling are stored in cabinets. Nothing is left out when not in use. Dies are kept on Lee turrets in the round boxes.

Harbor Freight is your friend. They sell all sorts of plastic boxes. I use a lot of the Plano boxes that seal as well. It's a constant battle against rust for me.

Harbor Freight makes the perfect size boxes for mold storage. If you don't use anything larger than a four cavity.

Boolit Grand Master

This is what it looks like when I'm done. If you put it away every time it's easy to keep things organized.

I've moved some things. I no longer store ammo cans full of bullets on the wire shelves. Just not worth the risk of it all coming down. One of my most often used tools is a label maker. Easy to keep things organized when it's all labeled. A lot of tooling is stored in a fairly big tool box. Convenient to have it all right behind me when I'm working. While going through my pics I'm amazed at how much has changed but how much it's stayed the same. Just have more stuff in the same area.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I've posted pics of my organization before. I can't stand when tools aren't in their proper place. They end up all over when I'm working. But they are put away when done. My work vans have always been highly organized because it's how I make money. The organization transfers over into reloading.

Brass goes in five gallon buckets or flat rate boxes on the shelves. The boxes are for smaller quantities. Brass is always bagged up. Almost all of mine is in five gallon buckets. Anything smaller is to small for the quantities on hand.

Lead ingots are stored in foot lockers. Cast bullets are stored in ammo cans. Anything else is to small. An odd shape that takes up to much space. Or is an insufficient material that doesn't hold up over time.

Dies and tooling are stored in cabinets. Nothing is left out when not in use. Dies are kept on Lee turrets in the round boxes.

Harbor Freight is your friend. They sell all sorts of plastic boxes. I use a lot of the Plano boxes that seal as well. It's a constant battle against rust for me.

Harbor Freight makes the perfect size boxes for mold storage. If you don't use anything larger than a four cavity.

I've moved some things. I no longer store ammo cans full of bullets on the wire shelves. Just not worth the risk of it all coming down. One of my most often used tools is a label maker. Easy to keep things organized when it's all labeled. A lot of tooling is stored in a fairly big tool box. Convenient to have it all right behind me when I'm working. While going through my pics I'm amazed at how much has changed but how much it's stayed the same. Just have more stuff in the same area.[/QUOTE]

I hate you!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    My wife picked these up for me at wally world for $3 or so each and work great for boolits. They hold between 300 to 500 boolits according to what flavor. Brass goes into baggies and then into these small totes, they stack nicely. Also, the labels peel off of these old Hornady boxes and get re used for lead boolits. The boxes are left over from before I started casting my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170103_192510.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	184276

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    My company supplies the coffee for us, so I salvage the 3 lb Folgers can for Junk Brass and used primers, the smaller cans for all empty brass that I am going to reuse. Costco nut jars for cast boolets, and usually package 100 loaded rounds in slider top plastic bags that I clearly mark. The loaded rounds go in a large cupboard in the garage. Everything else is on shelves and is visable, or clearly labeled. I so love this hobby.
    OK Trixter. From my Army l remember my lnstructor say,"The only dumb question is one NOT asked''
    What are spent primers used for?

thanks..

This is the second reference to "used primers" in my short life reloading.
    Since I heard it the first time, I started saving my spent ones.
    Seems there might be a use/sale/barter/trade market for them.

Boolit Master

I do the shelves and baggies and jars. Really like the shell holders on pegs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    This is the second reference to "used primers" in my short life reloading.
    Since I heard it the first time, I started saving my spent ones.
    Seems there might be a use/sale/barter/trade market for them.
    The market is the scrap yard. Recycle them and get money back to buy more new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    OK Trixter. From my Army l remember my lnstructor say,"The only dumb question is one NOT asked''
    What are spent primers used for?

thanks..

For recycle at the salvage yard for $. Annual trip to salvage yard pays off.

Boolit Master
    You really need a compact storage system for reloading stuff if you live in house like this:

Name:	hirsi70412JOB_an.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	184389

S

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The market is the scrap yard. Recycle them and get money back to buy more new ones.
    Gotcha, thanks Dragon.

Moderator Emeritus

A month ago, a friend stopped by, when he seen my storage room shelves with used USPS MFRB's fulll of brass and such, he asked if I wanted some plastic bins, that are about the size of a MFRB. He has a buddy who works a a custom injection mold manufacturer, and they have a repeat job/order to make these bins, and if there are blemishes and rejected, they throw them away (I would have thought they would recycle the plastic?).
    Anyway, he stopped by a couple days ago with 20 for me, with lids. Now it's time to get to work as start organizing.

you can see one that isn't in the stack, at the bottom, with the photo date pasted on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    My wife picked these up for me at wally world for $3 or so each and work great for boolits. They hold between 300 to 500 boolits according to what flavor. Brass goes into baggies and then into these small totes, they stack nicely. Also, the labels peel off of these old Hornady boxes and get re used for lead boolits. The boxes are left over from before I started casting my own.

Name:	20170103_192510.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	184276
    I have a bunch of the 3x5 clear card boxes. They stack great and are a good size for storing smaller quantities of brass and bullets. I purchased then online and on sale for about $1 each.

Brad