Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 guage bird bombs

Boolit Buddy
    They still make them but $1.32 a round
    http://www.suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html
    And a FEL $100 for three years, and free prostate check from the BATFE
    Last edited by 1911cherry; 01-01-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: humor and additional info
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911cherry View Post
    They still make them but $1.32 a round
    http://www.suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html
    Did you see the part in red about needing a FEL (federal explosives license) to buy them?

Perma-Banned
    I remember these, they were fun to shoot in my old Iver Johnson single shot, we mostly wasted them just to hear the boom! Haven't thought about these in a long time

Boolit Master
    On those small mortar rounds, there is one called a salute that is just noise and a bit of smoke ..... rattles the ground better than the boom and sparkle variety.

For my money, the old 37mm with bird bombs were the best ...... we used them on elk for a short time ...... the Patriot Act took care of that.

For coyotes we calve in a valley with basalt cliffs on either side and use the before mentioned propane cannons on the sides of the bluffs ........ you get a real echo chamber going there and the coyotes that venture into that arraingement are few and far between.

They do get used to the constant banging after a while but by then we have moved onto calve more out in the open.

My first choice is LEAD, second is the propane cannon when it comes to coyotes.

They banned trapping of coyotes in my home state and it's available under special conditions and we also previously aerial gunned them but the bunny huggers took care of that as well.

Guess people in the cities are just tired of eating?

Perhaps it's time for a good long vacation ........... give the huggers some hunger and perspective?

Happy Trump Day

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Don't forget the approved explosive safe/container/magazine. Just part of the HOOPS I mentioned.

My son is a licensed animal control business and he refuses to jump through the hoops for them as in fun but no income all outgo for them.

It blows as when I had 20 acres of Christmas trees planted the F&G supplied them so I would not shoot the moose grazing on them. Still had to shoot 1 pair as the bombs did not bother them.

Nothing as funny as watching the wife in her baby dolls and bunny slippers running down the field shooting moose in the butt with them. Wish we could go back 40 years to that again.

Shoulda seen the kids faces when it was Dads turn to shoot at the hand thrown skeet, years ago. I had some bird bombs in my pocket that they didn't see me load up. Heh Heh Heh
    A deplorable that votes!

updated info - I just found out that, as of 2018, you can now buy these 12 gauge bird bombs again, although you do have to fill out a 2-page form and have to be able to justify your need for them. They call them Shell Crackers. ATF has declared them no longer something that needs FEL. They also make 2 similar products that fire out of a plastic pistol you buy from them, using a percussion cap. One is called Bird Banger and does not require a FEL. The other is called Bird Bomb and does require FEL. The lady at Sutton Ag claimed all 3 make an equally loud noise, and that the difference is just the chemicals they are made from. I don't know why they'd bother making all 3 products if all make same boom. The Shell Crackers have much longer range than the 2 that fire out of a plastic pistol. I just ordered some Shell Crackers (you have to get increments of 100 at Sutton), so I'll soon find out if they are as good as the old ones you used to be able to buy in a gun shop.
    Sutton Shell Crackers https://suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html
    Sutton Bird Bangers https://suttonag.com/bird_bangers.html
    Sutton Bird Bombs (requires FEL) https://suttonag.com/bird_bangers.html
    Stoneco also has Shell Crackers (no FEL) and long range Shell Crackers (requires FEL)
    https://www.stonecowildlifecontrol.com/products.html
    Stoneco is a bit more expensive IIRC, but you don't have to buy in increments of 100.

I suspect, but have no evidence to support it, that the 2 you can get without FEL are based on Black Powder and the one that requires FEL may be based on so-called flash powder. But again the lady at Sutton claimed all 3 make the same level of boom.

For all of these, there's a substantial hazmat charge, about $40 as I recall, in addition to shipping charges, when you order.

PS - if you use these Shell Crackers, make darn sure you thoroughly clean your barrel after shooting them. I don't know if it's because the charge involves black powder or what, but I found out the hard way, years ago when you could get them at a gun shop, that they will rust your barrel big time in a hurry if you just fire them & put the shotgun away.

PS - if you use these Shell Crackers, make darn sure you thoroughly clean your barrel after shooting them. I don't know if it's because the charge involves black powder or what, but I found out the hard way, years ago when you could get them at a gun shop, that they will rust your barrel big time in a hurry if you just fire them & put the shotgun away.
    I believe most, if not all, pyrotechnical shotshell loads are based on black powder for boosting the payload skywards (I know 4 gauge flare shells are) Black powder is more forgiving than smokeless powder when it comes to light loads.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

let me know how they work please.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Check with DOW they may get you some. At least they did back in the 1970's when my GP farmed east of Longmont. We used them to keep the geese out of the winter wheat.

Boolit Master

dow just laughs at you now days.

Yup, they are more worried about spending sportsmans money on wolves and their parks then wildlife. Also many seem to becoming more interested in being police officers then wildlife officers then providing information on hunting and fishing opportunities. Their favorite word is No.....
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    I never tried this-- just brainstorming. would a cherry bomb fit in a 12 gauge hull and how long does the fuse take?

I'm thinking a 300BO, subsonic rounds, a decent scope, and a can you should be able to drop a few yotes 150 - 200 yards before they take off and no hearing protection needed.

USMC 77, USRA 79

here is a video I made dissecting one of these for making these myself. should have everything you need to know about the original.

https://gunstreamer.com/v/PHAhqK
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

the new newfangled cherry bombs do not have any where hear the concussion of the bird bangers. I have tried a lot of different firecrackers and none make much noise.

For some odd reason, firecrackers don't make as much noise now as they did when I was a kid..
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12