MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 guage bird bombs

Boolit Master

12 guage bird bombs

I used to be able to buy 12 guage bird bombs, they are 12 guage rounds that shoot a firecracker out to about 100 yards and then it explodes. they have worked great for scaring off coyotes but no one has them anymore, just the ones that you need a special launcher to shoot.

has anybody made their own. have some old blackcats that I think would work and I understand the principle but it might be better to go from scratch and use a better quality timed fuse and a "round" that would better fit the barrel.

having same problem with 37mm grenades but found a source for reloading those this morning and the "kit" they sell may work as components in the 12 guage rounds.

any real world experiance? feel free to use pm if you don't want to talk openly and I hope this does not break any rules, if it does mods feel free to delete it.
    Last edited by rancher1913; 12-26-2016 at 03:55 PM.

In Remembrance
    I use to buy those years ago, wasn't cheap even back then. I'm going to watch this thread and see what shows up, inquiring minds just gotta know..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

The old Dixie Gun Works catalogs had recipes for bombs you launched out of a 12ga hull. I tried them with (mostly) success, that is I didn't harm the gun. I'm not going to repeat the recipe here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ammo is available on line. Do a google search

AmmoToGo I think had them

Don Verna

Boolit Master

Interesting--will keep a watch on this one.

Boolit Buddy
    Recently, and out of curiosity, I took a 12ga Flare apart ....

Here the pictures ....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j2k13tjcz...JcZ00Dzea?dl=0

Maybe that helps ...

Last edited by Skipper; 12-26-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Master

They are called explosives now and a no-no by BATFE, they are in the E part. Not worth what they want you to jump through to have them.

Boolit Master
    my box is made by
    Stoneco. inc
    tridad co
    as of this post i have not looked them up box is dated 1992
    they used the Ative hull still have 15 .
    be sure if you do get them to clean the barrel or it will rust in a week
    they still show all info
    PH number is 719 846 2853
    onthis box

Boolit Master

those are very similar to the ones I had but I guess nowadays you need an explosives license to buy them.

Boolit Master
    Guy I used to know got himself one of the 37mm launchers, what a waste of money that thing was. It really only worked as a big single shot shotgun, or to launch the premade smoke bombs. He had some sort of plastic finned bomb you could buy, with a fuse up thru the tail. But would end up being $6 a shot or something like that. He tried to find some way of making something, but was never cheap or easy.

Seems like the 12ga bird bombs are just a large firecracker in a sabot. Fuse is lit when fired. Seems like weight of the projectile would be an issue, as in to light. Years ago when younger, one of us got the idea to replace the shot in a 12ga with aluminum rivets, didnt even make out out of the barrel, just not enough for it to light properly.

Boolit Master

Oh man, I sure miss my M-79 that I had to leave in VN./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Why not just SHOOT them?
    Whatever!

Sounds like it would be cheaper to just go to a fireworks stand and buy some 1 1/2 inch report mortars and a tube in a box. They will launch pretty good with a 2x wood reinforcement base and at a 45 degree angle. It is like shooting a blooper from the hip, once you get used to the trajectory you can get fairly close to stuff. So I have been told.....
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

have the fireworks tube and mortar and they are to much pyro, just need the loud crack. we do shoot what we can but they run the creek in packs and the bird bombs were the best way to make them think that the way opposite of my animals was the best way. have the 37mm launcher and it works just like the 12 guage rounds just maybe more intense but those things are way expensive and you need the license now a days. I miss the old days of chasing my brother with a stick of dynamite (true story).

Moderator Emeritus
    What about using exploding bottle rockets? They would get out there 6o-70 or more yards before blowing up. Should be really cheap too.

Boolit Master

bottle rockets don't have the reach or aim, I launch the bird bombs out to the max and they just barely get there. you need to drop the "bang" just ahead of the pack to turn them, shotgun blasts from the house doesn't faze them, they know the range of guns and how far out to stay, but that "bang" out of nowhere right in front of them really does the trick.

Boolit Master

What you need are remote propane cannons. Set them up wherever and they time shoot on their own. The neighbors WILL hate you unless they are farmers themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Why not just SHOOT them?
    This!

Boolit Master

we do shoot them, and trap them, and call them, and poison them. there are just too many and they are wise to all the tricks, they won't go near a dead cow because of us using that as bait and setting traps all around it. the bird bombs are just one little trick that still works and does not require hours and hours of my time. hauled hay from sun up till sun down today and don't have time to go hunting coyotes all night, maybe in another life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast