Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ishapor 308

Boolit Buddy

Ishapor 308

Does anyone shoot a 2A1 in 7.62
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1964 Ishapor 2A in 7.62x51... What's your question?

Boolit Master
    I have in the past.

Yes.
    mine has a large chamber and lots of headspace.

I light load 311284's in mine using Unique. I tolerate the headspace issue by using once fired military surplus brass (I think through a machine gun) and only neck sizing using a Lee neck sizer.

I added a Williams peep sight to the back and can shoot that thing all day. I get funny looks from the youngsters and their black rifles when I can shoot my 3" steel plate at 50 yds time after time off hand.

Boolit Master

Ishapor Enfield

Mine is as accurate as my No 4 (T). A fine rifle, at least with jacketed bullets. It will out shoot most modern 308 calibre rifles, even with its military sights. Mine was mentioned in an article by a gun writer friend of mine many years ago, about 1992 or so. Luck was with me that day as I shot 10 shot 1" groups at 100 yards with M852 Match ammo while he watched. The rear sight elevation settings track well with ball ammo.

I segregate my rifles into cast and jacketed. It's a jacketed bullet rifle, so I have no idea how it shoots lead boolits.

Case headspace after shooting is +.01. I assume that it is from the springy Enfield action, but it could be a headspace issue. Could be both. It doesn't seem to matter though as far as accuracy goes. I've only shot M80 Ball, M118 Special Ball and M852 Match through it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee Enfield-Ishapor.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-25-2016 at 02:40 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I've had 2 of the issh's. Sold off the 1st one because it shot buckshot patterns on most targets. Picked up the second to find out it had the same issues. This time around I put a little more effort into getting it to shoot and found out they have, at least this one, has a oversized bore. Apparently they used left over barrels from the no2 enfield's . So I fit the fattest bullets I could feed it in the throat and settled on the noe314129sp. It really liked that lite weight, I'm assuming because of the 1 in 12 twist.
    In the end I gifted the rifle to my childhood shooting partner, in a sneaky move to get him back into shooting.

Boolit Master
    Mine is one of my fav's , I put a Rawson aperture sight on it and it's a blast to plink with or do some serious shooting.
    love it and cherish it ,,,, it's a definite keeper,,,
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had 2, at different times. I kept neither. For some reason, the recoil is very painful for me with this rifle, even with light reloads well below military .303 levels. Must be something about the stock design. A Jungle Carbine never hurt me so much. Completely lost interest in them for this reason.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    Mine is one of my fav's , I put a Rawson aperture sight on it and it's a blast to plink with or do some serious shooting.
    love it and cherish it ,,,, it's a definite keeper,,,
    And they won't be making any more of them!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banned

Anyone know where I can get a real, original magazine for one? Mine came with an after market and won't feed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a real, original magazine for one? Mine came with an after market and won't feed.
    They show up on gunbroker sometimes even ebay. Usually about $75

just traded mine off for some work around the house. It was heavy and not very accurate but it was fun. I used Lee 180 grain round nose gas check and IMR 4759 and had a lot of fun with it.

In Remembrance

Years ago when I got an `Ishy` I had to shoot it even though I had lost my glasses. I am near sighted after both eyes had cataract surgery. I stuck a 3" orange disk on an 18 x 18" scoring ring target and from my 100 yd bench I fired an entire magazine of FMJ ammo at the blurry not in focus target. To my surprise all 10 holes were on the target and non were `snow birds`. I haven`t fired it since then even though I have new glasses.Robert

Boolit Buddy

I just wondered if they all shoot as well as mine, it will put 10 311041 into a 3/4" hole at 50 yards. I need to play with it more to find what it will do at longer distances.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

I've got one - but just test fired with factory J-word it's due to be tried with some cast when I get my other "project's" out of the way
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    76WARLOCK,

About 15 years ago I got both the MkIII and Jungle Carbine Ishapore "Clones" in mint condition. Both arms are great and accurate with J-word reloads and my various cast boolits. My best cast loads are the Lyman #311467 sized .309" ahead of 13.5 grains of Unique. I use old wheelweights and drop the boolits from the mould into a bucket of water and lube with Alox.

Happily the cast boolits and 150 grain J-word reloads shoot to the same point of aim/point of impact at 100 yards at the same sight setting. Hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I have one bouht it when they first came in. fired it a few times with loads for my m1. it was very accurate. I have a p-h peep sight for a number 1 that will fit I want to put on and then make it a cast bullet shooter.

Boolit Master

Happily the cast boolits and 150 grain J-word reloads shoot to the same point of aim/point of impact at 100 yards at the same sight setting. Hope this helps.
    One of the reasons that the Lee Enfield was the darling of the earlier Palma shooters was that its springy action launches lower velocity bullets at a higher angle than higher velocity rounds. With Mk VII Ball, the groups actually started coming together and tightening up between 800 and a thousand yards. Coincidentally, the Palma Matches (at least in the USA) are shot at 800, 900 and a thousand yards. How fortuitous is that?

At any rate, I'll bet that your cast and jacketed bullets have nearly the same POI due to that odd characteristic of the Lee Enfield design.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Although the after market mag is always problematic, there may be other reasons for the failure to feed. I have a 2A1 and can't recall the part name but it is a v-shaped spring that helps the mag stay tight. Also one of the feed lips of the mag can cause problems. Suggest you look in an Enfield specific forum for some info if you haven't already.
    After adjusting these parts, mine works every time......although I do have the original mag.
    Also non FMJ ammo seems to not work well, bumps the feed ramp and hangs when it should slide upward.

Edit:
    Sear spring is the v-shaped spring...I took mine out and gently spread it. You could break it so get one first. Once the mag is held in place you can concentrate on tweeking the feed lips...seems the left side is the one I needed to bend outward a small bit.
    Last edited by daengmei; 12-27-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Banned

Thanks for that advice. I'll try that, but if all I can get it to work with is FMJ, it will go down the road soon.

This is a jungle carbine one, though I'm sure it wasn't originally one. Neat rifle, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast