Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Care to share your 22-250 loads?

Boolit Grand Master

I've had good luck with Varget, Benchmark and XBR 8208 in the 22-250.

ive been particularly fond of the 50gr tipped bullets in my Kimber with its 1:14 twist.

Good of luck in finding a load and hope you and the misses enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    From Hodgdon website:

Originated as a military powder, used for the 5.56 NATO, or 223 Remington as handloaders know it. Obviously, it sees endless use in the 222 Remington, 223 Remington and other small cartridges. In particular, prairie dog shooters will find this a favorite, as J.B. Hodgdon has for years! Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
    Me no savy! What ever does this info have to do with the name H335?

Now if you said 38.0 grains of an un-named powder behind a 52 gr bullet in the 22-250 gave one hole groups, then I would know that H380 was so named because of the 38.0 charge. I think Lamar just had a brain fart and got H335 and H380 mixed up, he will be along to explain.
    Charter Member #148

The only bullets over 60 grs I have found to work well in the 22-250 are the Sierra 63semi pointed and the Speer 70 gr. I use the Sisk version of these for deer occasionally.

I bought the first 22-250 sold in my county in '64, I believe and started reloading then using H380 with Hornady 53 gr match hollow points. I too found the ball powders to spike in summer weather and I live in central Virginia. I then went to IMR 4320 using 36.0 grs with the hornady 53's and I've tried every conceivable combination since and all my 250's shoot less than 1/2", if I do my part. I would look in a good reload manual and find a fast shooting load that doesn't show too much pressure, drop 10% and work up. It's a lot of fun to shoot and you will be surprised at what load does the best. It's my favorite cartridge and when something needs killing, that's what I reach for. Good luck!
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    My pet .22/250 load is 34.5 grs of imr 4064 with a sierra # 1360 its a 55gr spt. H 380 is also a great powder in the 250. Fmj's normaly don't do very well in a 250 unless you slow them down below 3000 fps. I also use the same powder charge with the hornady 55gr zombie max bullet and the sierra # 1410 its a 52 gr match bthp bullet.
    34.0 of 4064 has been my standard for years with 52-55 gr bullets.

Reloader 15 and Varget should be fine choices as well.

Banned
    Attachment 184090

This is what I found at the local gun shop.

Boolit Buddy
    What's the heaviest bullets you guys get to shoot well out of your slow twist 22-250? I inherited a beautiful heavy barrel R700 from my grandfather that shoots tiny bughole groups with 45-55 grain bullets. Only at close (under 300m) range though. We got a lot of wind here in Kansas & I'm wanting a heavier bullet to buck wind & carry energy farther.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master
    I haven't gone higher than 55g with mine, but lately I'm thinking about getting a 1:7 barrel and fit it to an action I have on hand for the sole purpose of shooting 75 grainish bullets.
    You'll have to go 75g plus to get the benefits you are looking for.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Attachment 184090

This is what I found at the local gun shop.
    That'll work. There's probably a load on the label. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    34.0 grains of IMR 4064 behind a sierra 52 GR HP.

Floyd

Boolit Buddy
    32.0 grains IMR 4064 or 38.5 w760. hornady 52grn hpbt bullets. Winchester large rifle primers. 1 in 14'' twist barrel. Winchester brass. 0.5'' and 0.750'' respective groups at 100 yards. Very consistant and repeatable.
    Tried other favorite powders for this cartridge, but none of them shot well.

Most any good quality 50-55 gr bullets will shoot well but just for kicks try some flat base match bullets along side the same weight boat tail type . One of my first brand new rifles was an early 1980s Rem 700 varmit . Would shoot well ( .5- 1.0 groups with just about any boat tail bullet one day I loaded up some 52 gr Flat base match and that turned that gun into a true one hole group shooting machine .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The new bullets are great but I surely miss the Nosler solid base Zipedo( an accurate bullet suitable for deer on down) and the Remington Bench Rest bullets(they were flat based) the Noslers had cool ridges on the bearing surface and a rebated base so you could set them in the brass waiting to be seated. I agree with RU shooter about the flat base match bullets vs. boat tails. My experience mirrors this. Last summer I found 500 Hornady 53 gr HP on the bargain table at the LGS for $70. Not only do they shine in my Tikka 22-250 but they are outstanding in our 7" twist 5.56 ARs as well. Best, Thomas.

38 grains of H380 lit off by a cci br2 topped off by a sierra 55 blitz king. Has worked pretty good for me. I have tried some other tips and powders but keep going back to this one.

Jerry Jr.

Also have a lead load but I will have to look that one up. I think it was less than a inch but will have to check notes.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Need an indoor load? Tumble lube some .22 cal air rifle pellets. Seat the pellet by hand in a sized primed case. Of course her high powered scope will be blurry indoors but these are a hoot. Single load them as the pellet is not a real tight fit but they are accurate at 20' and yellow pages will stop them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12