Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Real Caster or Dabble at It ?

Banned

that's only about 17-18,000 9mm boolits.
    I'm estimating knowing it takes 180 ish lbs to do 10-K [which I need to do here shortly]

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    No gloves . I got 4 pots and 3 sizer's with another on the way . Don't know how many molds I own or how many sets of Lyman handles either but I did buy 5 molds this week and 3 sets of handles to add to a 50 year collection . Probably not a dabbler .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Vendor Sponsor

Dabble definitely for me, although I'm growing my stockpile of lead and molds faster than my wife might like...

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    In the past 30+ years i have cast roughly 3½ tons~7700lbs of alloys into bullets.
    Is that real or dabble?

Or am i dabbling really hard?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The indication of a Real caster!

Dabble.
    I rarely glove when I cast.

I glove up when I'm getting paid, and it doesn't take eight hours to have them worn worse than that.

Boolit Master
    Dabble with an Automated Master Caster, cast and powder coat about 10000 bullets each year.
    Powder coat all bullets with the Harbor Freight Gun. Got a commercial convection oven to cook 1000 bullets at a time using three levels in the oven.

All of the bullets are used by my family and a few friends, the friends help scrounge lead and help with the casting and coating of the bullets. Got the Master Caster second hand and learned how to automate on this site. At 71 years old gives me something to do out in the shop.

Never thought I would get this envolved in making cast bullets, a few back only cast with a few hand molds and a Lee pot before I found the Master Caster. Ran the machine by hand for a few years before the automation. Lot of fun with my friends but we are all getting up in years.

I only cast when I have to.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Bub
    I am an unusual caster. I cast 6-10 thousand match grade bullets a year.
    I am a competitive pistol shooter.

Figured anybody who casted a boolit for a firearm is a caster.......
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Tinkerer.
    Whatever!

Banned

for along time I thought caster was the little wheels under the table.
    then I realized caster referred to the trailing angle the mounts the wheels were mounted on had.
    did you know that the scout-2's used 2 different caster angles in the 4wd front ends?
    they put a wedge block on the drivers side to give it 3* and the passenger side doesn't use it and only has 1.5*.
    they added in the angle so the front driveline would line up with the gear box better.

Boolit Bub
    Dabbler for sure....the more I shoot, the more I dabble. Spinning out of control, shoot, cast, reload. After 30 plus years it's only going to get worse, but it keeps me out of trouble

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    tigweld, that is almost exactly my story, too! My Dad and I started casting for an old 1917 Colt in the early 60s. Later, after I came home from overseas, I had to cast in order to compete in IPSC and NRA High Power matches with little money and a growing young family. Then I found this site and realized just how much I DIDN'T know. This is now my favorite spot on the www. Semper Fi, Treetop
    Dabbler here too. Been doing 38 cal bullet's pushing 50yrs; haven't learned a thing other than they let me shoot about all I want! Now doing a 308 and a 30-06 and couldn't believe how light the recoil in them is with fast powder.

Boolit Master

With well over a 1/4 millon bullets made since the 1970s , I'm a serious caster

Boolit Master
    Guess I dabble, I was using the thumb pressure and gloved hand but a wooden stick worked just as easy. I'm guilty of rarely wearing PPE and have scars to show for it =/.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I'm a real caster. Been castin', man and boy, for nigh onto forty years. I've cast with every major mould manufacturer's products, and most of the custom ones. I've cast with moulds of steel, brass, bronze, aluminum and nickel.

I went on a pilgrimage and cast at the feet of the Dalai Lama. I've cast on the fires of the Burning Ghats of India, at the feet of the Maharishi. I've cast to the background of Zen Koans, and determined their influence on the hardness, diameter, frosting and castability of the boolits produced.

I've seen all the YouTube videos on casting, watched all the TV shows and movies about casting, read all the handbooks and novels about casting, and even seen the famous opera about casting.

I don't bother with thermostats, PIDs or metal thermometers. When I am tempted to use them, I hear the voices of my Gurus, which tell me, "Use The Force, Dave." In most cases, I don't bother with mallets, gloves, ladles or bottom pour spouts. I just remove the sprue plate, dip the mould into the molten metal, and strike the excess off with a meteoric iron knife with a cocobolo handle, gifted to me by the little known tribe of Upper Amazonian natives, which throw any member who is not an expert caster to the piranha.

I'm a serious caster, alright.

Boolit Master
    Just a dabbler use gloves, glasses ,face mask ,leather apron .only a few thousand a year with double and single cavity molds.

Boolit Buddy

I do it with the pot in my lap wearing shorts and no shoes while watching tv..... we are talking about eating chili, right???

casting I dabble, 5 molds one pot and I only cast when it's cool or cold weather. I'm a pretty good size guy and sweat way to much for hot weather casting. I really do like my wife's chili, seriously.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

I use to think I was a caster. Now I know I am a dabbler. Been doing it for 45 years and I only have 15 molds and 2 pots. I only cast approx 500 LBS of lead to boolits a year. I'm good with just being a happy dabbler.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast