Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Wesson .41 Magnum load development pics

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Yes it will. The crimp shoulder is still there. Think of the die like a throat, boolit needs to fit through.
    I seat and crimp in one step with the seat die. Never seen a difference. But even the Hornady seat die for one caliber needed lapped, boolit larger then the hole.
    I just lapped my Hornady 45-70 seater sleeve. The larger than normal boolits I was using would actually stick in it and rip it out of the die body. Got old fast.

Allright, so here's an update on what is new.

I have tested about 20 different loads with different powders and OAL combinations. Nothing has given groups tighter than 5" at 50 yards.
    So I cut a new forcing cone using a 11 degree reamer, and a new muzzle crown. Retested with the best 5" grouping ammo and saw no difference, but at least it looks nice.

So I started to play around with the brass.
    First I figured that the full length sized brass had som slop in the chambers, causing misalignment when the bullet where to enter the chamber throat.
    Testing unsized brass I noticed that the Redding Profile Crimp die was actually sizing the case after the bullet was seated. However, accuracy with this combination was slightly improved, I started seeing some 4" groups.

Here you can see the black area on the top third of the case where the Profile Crimp has sized the brass.
    Attachment 208860

I tried wacking the bullet out with my kinectic hammer. Despite a heavy crimp, it only took two hits. I usually have to wack five-six times when using a Profile Crimp on my .44 Mag and .357 Mag. So obviously there was a lack of case tension. I started to think it may be due to worn brass, there have been two previous owners on this gun and brass, so I have no idea how many times they've been fired (though there has been no case splits).

I annealed the brass for the next test. Not to implement more than one change, I kept the same powdercharge, OAL and the Redding Crimp, despite it sizing the case.
    This is the result. Change no doubt, but very strange stringing.
    (50 meters / 55 yards)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annealed brass, profile crimp.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	208857

I also tested some neck sized brass, that is, I backed the sizing die out to only touch the top third of the case to get some neck tension. I then skipped the Profile Crimp die and applied a roll crimp using the Lee seater die in a stand alone operation.
    This made the cartridges hard to chamber, but with a steady push of the thumb they where in.
    I have no idea what caused this group to open up. Perhaps the neck sizing misaligned things even more?
    (50 meters / 55 yards)

Name:	neck sized brass, lee crimp.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	208858

The last test for the day was completely unsized brass, with the Lee roll crimp. I wanted to see what happened when the Profile Die did not size the case. These where seriously hard to chamber. I had one flier that I called due to bad trigger control, I saw the front sight whip away just when the hammer fell.
    Obviously the neck tension is enough, because this group is starting to get somewhere! Now I can start doing a load ladder and compare different primers. Perhaps that 1-2" group is finally possible!
    (50 meters / 55 yards)

Name:	unsized brass, lee crimp.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	208859
    Last edited by Whistler; 12-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.