WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A fizzle instead of a boom!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Sounds like oil or solvent in the "chamber" not the primer. As a precaution when you clean the gun, store it muzzle DOWN. this lets any excess oil or any left over solvent drain away from the breech. Works every time.
    This is something i REALLY need to start doing, ive had plenty of hangfires and this is likely my cause.

Boolit Grand Master

I went hunting once and it snowed all day. It was snowing hard enough that we could hear the deer ahead of us but couldn't see them. At th end of the day the gun would not fire. Took at least 2-3 caps before it would fire. Pyrodex will draw some moisture. It will clump up some from the moisture but can easily be broken up and shot again when dried.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I always clean my barrel with acetone, get all the oil out of it before loading/shooting. I also run a dry patch down at the last, and pop a few primers or caps2-3 each. This blows any oil in the breechplug, into the dry patch, which absorbs it, then you can load your gun with confidence. Never had much luck with Pyrodex, I am a Black Powder or BH209 man!

Boolit Master
    I only use Pyrodex in my muzzle loaders......but the "P" version, because of the small uniform granules. The "RS" version will bridge in tight spaces, due to the uneven granule size. Especially, near the nipple, preventing positive ignition.

I load my Renegade in mid-October and keep it loaded, sometimes till Spring. Never failed to fire. I use small pistol primers in an Accura-shot conversion nipple. This was when I determined that "RS" version wasn't getting all the way down to the primer. The conversion nipple has a huge inside diameter and powder should have been evident. Always stored in the house, after being out in the cold......twenty six degrees this past Saturday AM, IIRC. Never a condensation problem.

Winelover