Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Cleaning Sprue Plate

Boolit Buddy

Cleaning Sprue Plate

I just started back casting today after a 30+year hiatus , I casted up 300 9mm bullets just to get the hang of it again and to break in a new mold, My question and I havent had this happen yet , and I remember everything from back when my Dad and I use to cast except , how is the best way to clean the back side of the Sprue plate and top of the mold when you get lead smeared on them , best I can remember this happens when you go to fast and maybe too hot . Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I want to say steel wool but that part I dont remember, thus I dont want to mess things up Thanks

Your cutting the sprue too soon. Let the alloy frost over then give a three count. Best way to remove it is while the mold is HOT. Then just use a clean shop towel to wipe it off.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Guys , I havent had this happen yet , but im sure it will

Banned

you can help prevent it from sticking in the first place by putting a barrier on the face of the mold and sprue plate.
    many use a synthetic or standard 2 stroke oil, and ester oil, or an anti-sieze.
    when the mold is warmed up and after the sprue has been cut you just wipe a light layer on the mold top then open and close the sprue plate a couple of times.
    then dump the boolits out and resume casting.

Boolit Master

no wonder I go crazy every time I lube the top, never thought to leave a boolit in it and always ended up with some in the cavity and then it was all down hill.

Banned

000 steel wool

Boolit Grand Master

I cut a wood popcycle ( available in quanity at most grocery stores) stick square and lightly file the end to sharp corners use this to "scrub" the lead off. I have also used the bronze bristled brushes sold in LGS. For small spots a bamboo skewer stick works well also.

When hot, rub it off with an ingot.
    A deplorable that votes!

Iron moulds

A little wd40 and scrape/cut off with a utility razor blade. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Boolit Master

Open the spru plate and dip it in the molten lead for about 10-20 seconds, wipe it off with a paper towel. To prevent further smears when casting fast use the "BruceB" method of cooling the spru with a wet rag. I keep a wet wash cloth in a saucer on my bench. Fill the mold, wait for the spru to suck into the cavity then turn the mold over onto the wash cloth for 1 second. Cools the spru and no smears.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

I almost never get a smear but when I do, I strike a wood match and blow it right out. Use the head to rub the lead off, works like a charm. Might take a few.
    Other then that you need to melt it and wipe it. Oils and such don't last long.

Boolit Buddy

Many suggestions here , and I will try the all ,thanks for all the info, like I said its been 30+ years since I did any casting and this is the only thing I couldn't remember......Thanks Guy

Boolit Master
    What works for me is taking the sprue plate off and running the bottom over a piece of 600 grit emory cloth laid on a piece of plate glass. This not only removes the lead quickly, but also sharpens the cut off holes. I then finish with 1000 grit cloth and then wipe on a very thin layer of MP-Molds or NOE mould lube. Other lubes as mentioned above will work as well. Just make sure the lube layer is as thin as you can get.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!