Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butcher's Knives & A Steel Sharpener...

Boolit Master

Question Butcher's Knives & A Steel Sharpener...

I’ve cut-up many a deer over my nearly 50 years of hunting and I have never had a good butcher’s knife!

This year I would like to purchase one or maybe a set for Christmas…

I worked in a butcher shop during my high school years and as with all butchers (?), they seem to have knives that they simply sharpen with a steel—that is what I call them. I remember them making the knives quit sharp, at least sharp enough to cut meat…

Any thoughts on brand names and what steel might a person get. I have a steel now, but I am uncertain it is good quality…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Bub
    The steel only works until the knive is dull. You cant realy sharpen a dull knive only with a steel but you can hold it sharp a long time by frequently using the steel. The one I own for many years now ist the "Dickoron" from Dick. https://www.amazon.de/Dick-Wetzstahl.../dp/B003VOSI8S I don't know if you can buy this one in the states. And yes, this steel is expensive. But it's worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    Steel only hones the edge. In a way it moves the edge angle. So start off using a steel at very shallow or flat angle.

Stones are used to remove metal as to reset the angle.

Hones are the same as a steel in a way.

I like Chicago Cutlery knifes. The older 61 , 61 s . Best have found. I totally understand what your saying about knifes. I've payed good $$ for a junk butcher knife.

Boolit Master

I use a hone,when butchering and every so often hone the edge to keep it sharp.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus

You might try LEM.com.....they have everything dealing with butchering.....good hunt....the quest is half the battle.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Old high carbon steel knives are still the best for meat IMHO. Old Hickory knives TEND to be good high carbon steel, but I've gotten a couple over the years that have had horrendous out of the package edges. Some to the point that you have to re-profile the edge completely, particularly towards the curve. Most are pretty spot on out of the package though and just need a minor sharpening to make them shaving sharp. I've never cared for sharpening steels. I've known several folks who were professional butchers, or BBQ carvers who used large LARGE half worn out sharpening stones to keep a good edge on their knives.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

I've always been able to get a better edge on the Old Hickory high carbon steel blades than any of the more expensive stainless steel kitchen knives that I've owned over the years. Of course, they will rust, so don't leave them sitting out wet.

Boolit Grand Master

I get all my supplies here http://www.butchersupply.net/ I have carbon and SS. I prefer the new SS NSF approved knives

A couple of more places

http://www.askthemeatman.com/knives.htm

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/butcherknife.htm

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/dex...butcher-knives
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-04-2016 at 02:00 PM.

If you looked at a knife edge under enough magnification, it will look fuzzy, full of jagged steel crystals that have bent away from the blade.

A good steel, can "draw" those back into line so that it cuts well again.

For truly razor edges I love a good barber strop. Take whatever knife you carry every day and at least once a day stop and give it 10-15 strokes on each side, alternating.

Then after about the second week tell me how bad you cut yourself because it is like a razor.

It is a bit like a plumbers toolbox. Pipe wrenches, a basin wrench, and adjustable wrench. Different tools for different jobs.

All depends on what you need. But a good steel on a high carbon steel blade will save you a lot of time resharpening once you learn to use it.

To some extent no matter what the surface, edge first in direction of travel= changing angle, removing steel.
    Edge away from direction of travel =straightening edge, perhaps removing some metal, but not as much or as fast.

Boolit Grand Master

I have always honed my good blades on a fine piece of ceramic then a leather strop. I have acouple strops one is plain smooth leather. one is treadted with rouge and another simichrome. I hone the edge carefully and to a sharp condition removing any fine nicks or dings. You may not see them bt running an edge of a finger nail down the blade you can feel them, Then 10-15 passes on the simichrome impregnated strop, then same on the rouge impregnated strop and last the plain smooth leather strop for an edge that is razor sharp and lasts good in use. In the kitchen I have a fine steel for touchh up off my kitchen knives also.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. I check the links and it appears the choices are many…

The prices are wide-spread also. Is more cost necessarily better? I see plenty that are carbon steel also…

I do have 2 Case knives—one will rust and the other won’t, must be stainless? I also have a Schrade. I simply cannot get these knives sharp. I certainly has to by my technique or lack of technique...

My uncle used to be able to sharpen a knife that would remove hair from your arm with ease. The thing he possessed that I don’t is PATIENTS…

So, I will attempt to sharpen the mentioned above but probably will order a good knife from a butcher site as I suspect they might have good stuff to be used by that profession…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    My uncle used to be able to sharpen a knife that would remove hair from your arm with ease. The thing he possessed that I don’t is PATIENTS
    LMAO...

Was that some sort of Freudian slip?

patience..

Best one was on some of the 4x4 forums where someone posts a thread asking, "What sort of wench should I get for my Jeep?"

Buxom wenches make the best wenches, of course...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    LMAO...

Was that some sort of Freudian slip?

patience..

Best one was on some of the 4x4 forums where someone posts a thread asking, "What sort of wench should I get for my Jeep?"

Buxom wenches make the best wenches, of course...
    Actually, he was a doctor and pretty good with a knife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really, I made a mistake with the word I used...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

I have Victorinox (R.H. Forschner), F. Dick and Dexter.

They all hold an edge very well and sharpen easily. I did purchase a Victorinox with an Rosewood handle (not recommended). They are made in Brazil and IMHO are NOT the same quality as the normal Victorinox. I do not recommend the Rosewood handle version. It was a gift so I can't comment on how well it holds an edge but the blade finish was substandard.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-07-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have Victorinox (R.H. Forschner), F. Dick and Dexter.

They all hold an edge very well and sharpen easily. I did purchase a Victorinox with an Rosewood handle. They are made in Brazil and IMHO do the same quality as the normal Victorinox.
    I do see the name Victorinox mentioned many times on the websites I have visited so far...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Updated my post as I was not clear. Victorinox and F. Dick appear to be what is the most common with the professional meat cutters. Dexter are very nice but not as common.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a LOT of knives - my father was a butcher - one of things I will tell you is working on a number of whole and half animals and store bought primals - I can lay out less than half a dozen knives to use and I'm happy.

I use a steel and I don't strop - I can make it scary/shaving sharp with just a good stone and a steel - Good steel is important and I have darn few stainless steel knives that can take and hold a shaving edge.

When sharpening it's important to get the right angle and keep it as you sharpen - for those that haven't had a long time doing it a mechanical aid is something that will be invaluable.

I liked the looks of this but I can't justify the cost as I can do it without out it.

Another one that gets a lot of play on the youtube is the Work Sharp grinder
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have a dexter set I found sitting cheap at the pawn shop. Original sticker read 145$ and when I got him down to 45$ I decided that was good enough. Looking online it could be worth 4 times what I paid.

As for sharpening stainless, takes patience, persistence and perseverance in abundance.

I used to never bother with stainless it can be such a pain. Nowdays with time on my hands, tools to hand I do not mind fussing with stainless if it is inexpensive.

I have a couple of Ganzo 728 Chinese copy's that are scary sharp. And a little maintance every week keeps them that way.Attachment 182262

The other one is just like it with black handle.
    The knife has a lanyard hole in the end that I made a small loop in.
    I have a small aaa flashlight and a firesteel that snap into that.
    That is my EDC, I can defend myself, see in the dark, start a fire.
    The rest is up to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast