Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Soup Can Update:

7mm Soup Can Update:

7mm Soup Can checks rec'd to date:

68504 half-way point exceeded !!! On the downhill side ....

(don't forget, you can click on a drawing once then once again to blow it up 3x)
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 11-09-2005 at 09:59 PM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oldfeller, I got my check off today, so you should see it Saturday or Monday. Thanks again.

Update on the 7mm Soup Can checks rec'd to date:

68504 half-way point exceeded !!! On the downhill side now ....

Price just went down to $43 shipped to your door

$37 Honcho price and six bucks shipping totals $43 bucks.

Early order guys, I owe you a $13 rebate check (it will be shipped with your mold).

All you fence sitters, pay attention -- the bullet will weight closer to 130 grains than previously thought (feedback from LEE).

This is durn near perfect as an eastern deer bullet weight in 7mm modern type guns as you can get both speed AND mass in this bullet.

Bullet spins out very nicely, indicating that higher fps may be possible than with some other longer for the diameter cast bullets (most all 30 cals, all 8mm cals, and certainly all the 6.5 cals INCLUDING the Kurtz).

This is a nice little bullet at a real nice six banger mold price. I'd hate to miss the Dec. 15 broker order because we didn't have the 25 orders pulled together, that would be a durn shame.

And Bob, I will still make you a "super-sized" neck swelling mold as I promised. I'll have to lap it out from standard since I won't be the one talking directly to Doug when the order is placed --- but that's OK, it's only six holes to lap after all. Maybe I'll picture document the steps and add it to the Mold Modification sticky as it would be a real controlled-roll-lapped sizer-upper type modification.

Won't that be fun? There will be lots of slugs cast off it during the fine tuning of course, so I could ship Joe some with his $43 mold, Buckshot some, Maven some -- good confirmation of your new loading/shooting neck swelling technique in other words, direct apples to apples comparison shooting -- same exact bullet as a matter of fact.

That is if the jokers ever place an order for a mold that is.

<g>

Oldfeller

We need 10 more molds to be ordered or ......

-- THIS IS A 130 GRAIN BULLET THAT FITS A 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM --
    (shouldn't you shoot that big boomer gun some in the off season?)
    ... trigger's gonna rust up on you if you don't shoot it some ...
    ================================================== ===

We need 10 more molds to be ordered or ....... perhaps we might have to punt ????

I'm holding enough money to pay the programming fee for the order but I wouldn't do that without consulting the group first. Just chime in down below on this thread, I don't think we need a sticky poll for only this small a group.

Eight constitutes a majority and the question is "go ahead & pay $100 program fee using our excess money" or "wait for the next quarterly buy and see if we get some more orders". (hey, at least because of the price break we now have this extra option available at the original $56 price point -- and so does everyone else who can't get a full 25 count group buy together)

It would be helpful if you guys would talk up the mold on the other lists where you also go. We still have 15 days to pull togther just 10 more orders.

Also, the oversized "supersized" guys need to understand (once again) that their oversized molds are going to have to be hand lapped now. Since we are dealing through a middle man no detailed communications can take place with LEE (and LEE is likely going to be hacked off at having to make the molds for cheap anyway). So I will be making up precision laps and lapping out the very few oversized molds that have been requested so far.

Update on the 7mm Soup Can checks rec'd to date:

68504 half-way point exceeded !!! On the downhill side now ....

Oldfeller

HONCHO EMERITUS

Thumbs up Whatever it takes!

I have no problem with using the excess monies collected to pay the programming fee.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I'll send money for a second one if you'll lap it to.

Boolit Man
    ...Go ahead. You already have the money.

...old goat

Bob, send the money and I'll lap your two molds.

Kelly

Boolit Master

I'll order another to speed the process

PM or email me the snail mail and I will get you a check for 30 bucks. 13 dollar savings from the original dun makes this worthwhile!!

LouisB

Boolit Master

go ahead. The money is spent as far as I'm concerned.

Boolit Grand Master
    Same here. It's already spent. Go for it. I'm tickled I have the option of getting the mould in the first place, and a good friend has gone 50/50 with me. He had given up on the thought of ever finding a bullet that would work properly in his lever 7-30 Waters until this idea came along.

Whoooooooeeeeeee !!!!!!! (steam whistle is blowing)

Counting Bob twice and me once, that's the required 8 votes to go ahead and make the 7mm Soup Can order (irregardless of the 25 requirement).

Waksupi, we got us another steamboat pulling up at the dock -- you got any 7mm guns? Hate for you to be shopping around for a mold after they actually come in and get shot and do good -- nobody wants to let one go then.

Starmetal Joe is waffling on us, he wants a 150 grain bullet. Surprise, a 130 grainer six banger mold in the hand is worth 10 molds off in the "I wanna 150 grainer" bushes ....

(you can't fit a 150 grainer into a six-pack mold anyway)

Besides, don't you think a 130 grain meplatted slug at your Sako's top end speeds isn't going to go "splat" just fine on a small-bodied Tennessee mountain deer, killing it deader than dead? Just not as all fired "bloody chunks dismemberment style" as the Boxcar will do, but how much deader than dead is "killed" enough anyway?

Folks with the 7mm Remington Magnums may have an interesting experimental quandry on their hands. This bullet fits their magnum's like a glove. They can put a lot of WC872 behind this little bullet and they generally have 26" barrels on their guns to soak up all the mild circa 35,000 psi pressure that such a large amount of WC872 can generate coming up behind a light cast bullet.

Bass, how fast can a 7 mag slow boost a 130 grain bullet at 35,000 psi in a 26" barrel? Can you even GET to 35,000 psi with WC 872 powder?

Hmmmm ... would this be considered a 150 yard cast varmint round? Or if you shot a deer with it, what would it be considered then -- a lung blow up bullet like a Nosler Ballistic Tip? You wouldn't really expect it to exit, not unless it was cast hard and then it might exit, maybe .... who knows?

Now, how many of you ever PLAN to buy a 7mm gun in the near future .....

8 more molds to go to the full 25 order.

Whoooooooeeeeeee !!!!!!! Whoooooooeeeeeee !!!!!!!

(steam whistle is blowing -- 15 days & counting)

Oldfeller

Banned
    Oldfeller,

No that's not it, what you said about a 130 grainer in my Sako. Fact is the my Sako shoots that Lee 130 gr like a match jacketed, so why mess with success. You say the new bullet might beat it? Wow! If it did Felix would be driving over this way to see the world's first truely 5 bullets in one bullet caliber hole. Yeah, that's just about how much better it would have to shoot in the Sako to beat the two cavity Lee 130 grainer.

I want the 150 grainer for my 7x57 Mauser carbine I'm currently building. I don't really hunt anymore so I don't need the weight for that.

Joe

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Kelly, there are no 7mm's in the stable. And actually, I have been trying to work on weeding out some calibers and bore sizes. I'm wanting to sell off some of my lesser guns, and invest the money in one or two top end type firearms. The place I'm working at, offers an employees discount, so I may get something built there. Still haven't figured out what chambering though. Probably some weird, off bore size critter. Maybe something in a 9mm? Hmmmm....

Ric, smells like a long-barreled heavy bullet 35 Whelen to me

(9mm, my foot --- oops, I mean my pedo-mickymeter).

Naw, I hate wasting people's money so I am trying to find a just a few more 7mm buyers out there in fence-sitter land. It would be a shame to be this close to a 25 order and still not make it.

Oldfeller

Joe, where/how the heck did you get a two-cavity LEE 7mm mold?

?????????????????????

Kelly

Banned
    Kelly,

Ooops, sorry, meant single cavity. Sure got your attention though didn't it?

Folks Kelly twisted my arm to get one of the 7mm moulds. Said he would wax my truck five times, clean my rifles for six months, and rotate my tires several times if I got one, so I couldn't pass that up. Thanks Kelly, you're a real pardner.

Joe

Joe, no, I thought you HAD gotten one and it opened up all sorts of possibilities because Doug HAS cut longer than standard pistol mold blocks before (did one for Jumptrap as a matter of fact). LEE Jr. disallowed any "custom overlength blocks" about a year back, so I was hunting to see if the LEE wind had changed again.

Fact: LEE has cut .50 BMG molds at 750 grains, so they CAN cut sine mold blocks longer if they wish to. To them it is just a 10 ft long piece of extrusion, they can cut it any length they want (if they would want to).

No wax car, no rotate tires -- just nice moldy bullets.

Kelly

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Want One!

Oldfeller, I'm sort of confused, how much do I have to send to get a 6-banger mold?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast