Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Scope Recommendations for a Bolt Action 405Win

Boolit Master

Scope Recommendations for a Bolt Action 405Win

Hi ya
    Long time no post,but that will be fixed from now on.

Had a Eddystone M1917 done into a 405Win,it already had a P-14 bolt in it for it was a 303/25,anyway had a lot of work done to it and now I want an idea of what size scope to go for?
    I was thinking just a real good 3-9x50 scope or bigger??

Will be shooting Sambar Deer and feral pigs with cast and jacketed bullets.
    So could you give me a brand and size if anyone knows a good combination please

Cheers
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Grand Master

2.5 x 8 Leupold is what I use on similar calibers.

I'm using a 2x7 on similar performance cartridge - for piggies it depends upon the foliage but it tends to be a quick shot and for that 3x was too much power in my book.

Redfield, Leopold, Nikon, Vortex all look pretty good.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

4X fixed would be my pick. Get a fullsize not a compact for that long action. Nothing to fool with just shoot it. Use your binocs for antler judging. My opinion only. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Australia - expensive hunting in that part of the World. Take a look at this brand - if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/

I'd take a hard look at the 2.5-10x56 Klassik

Boolit Grand Master
    Vortex PST 1-4x
    Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5x

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all replied
    I might go with a 2x7 or a fixed power
    now to do some shopping
    Cheers & Thanks
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master

2-7x Burris is a fine scope. That P-14 is a long action, may need a long scope or offset mounts to get a scope to fit.

The old Weaver steel K4s and K6s (Made in Texas years ago) are a long scope, and can be found used and in good condition for a fair price if you use "Search" on your computer.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

In Remembrance

I have a 1 3/4X - 5X Leupold `European model` scope with a German #9 post reticle on my .416 Taylor Winchester Model 70. On my 2 Enfields I sportered from 1917 configuration to sporter I Drill & Tapped the top for a scope base after grinding the ears off and Tig welding up the hole under the rear sight. One is in 338/06 and the other is still .30-06 I have a decent quality 2 - 7X scope of both.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    2-7x Burris is a fine scope. That P-14 is a long action, may need a long scope or offset mounts to get a scope to fit.

The old Weaver steel K4s and K6s (Made in Texas years ago) are a long scope, and can be found used and in good condition for a fair price if you use "Search" on your computer.
    I have been looking at Burris,I like them,have several of them.
    The old Weavers would be hard to come by,for most people would hang on to them,well made scope.
    Thanks
    Cheers

no34570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I have a 1 3/4X - 5X Leupold `European model` scope with a German #9 post reticle on my .416 Taylor Winchester Model 70. On my 2 Enfields I sportered from 1917 configuration to sporter I Drill & Tapped the top for a scope base after grinding the ears off and Tig welding up the hole under the rear sight. One is in 338/06 and the other is still .30-06 I have a decent quality 2 - 7X scope of both.Robert
    My rifle has had the ears milled off and the old rear sight well filled in and machined down to Win 70 contour,all done by my gunsmith it is a nice rifle now,have not fired it yet waiting on my dies to come,have a couple of 2-7x scopes on a few rifles,like them,usually stay on 4x.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Cheers

no34570

Vendor Sponsor

I would go with a 1-5x Leupold VXIII on that gun. They are Bullet Proof and you aren't going to be shooting more than 200 yards with that gun anyway.

I shoot Long Range Silhouette with my Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06 with that same scope on it and I can see and hit Rams at 500 M just fine with that setup.

People get all caught up in magnification. You really don't need that much, and the higher magnifications can't really be used for anything but target shooting or really long distance shooting.

Here's a pic of my Ruger Scout Rifle in .308 with that same scope mounted on it. I transferred it to the Guide Gun after I got it. The Scout usually wears a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot now, which makes me good out to 200+ yards easily. Zero Magnification on that sight.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com