Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun lube for the masses

Boolit Master

Gun lube for the masses

I was digging through some old files for some notes and I found the recipe for the gun oil I've used for the last 5 years. This stuff is pretty great and the recipe make a ton of it. I'm sure most of y'all have seen it before but just in case I figuered I would share the wealth.

http://www.firearmsnews.com/guns/han...asses-red-oil/

or or you can bing search(Google is for liberals) gun lube for the masses and that will pull up the article too. Have 4 two liter bottles handy cuz it makes a lot.

Boolit Master

So "Shotgun News" has changed their name to "Firearm News". I used to buy them back before everyone moved to the Internet. Last I saw them, their magazine had seriously decreased in thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    So "Shotgun News" has changed their name to "Firearm News". I used to buy them back before everyone moved to the Internet. Last I saw them, their magazine had seriously decreased in thickness.
    Yep about half a thick as it used to be. Lube Recipe sounds ok ,I'd prob switch out the hoppes 9 for kerosene though .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Red Oil recipe:

3 quarts automatic transmission fluid (red F type)
    1 quart 10W or 30W non-detergent motor oil
    1 pint STP oil treatment
    4 ounces Hoppe’s #9
    Since it said Red Oil, I was expecting Marvel Mystery Oil...

Boolit Master
    I've just been using ATF lately and had no ill effects...revolver gets broken down, all parts go in over night to soak. I might give this a try, not sure if I'll buy a giant bottle of hoppes though or just make do.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

I realize it makes a lot but that's not exactly a cheap formula. I will stick w/ buying Ballistol by the gallon. It's certainly not cheap but I know it works.

Banned
    Not endorsing Grant here but this article is pretty close to the issue:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Yah someone else took over and the decided s name change was in order. I can't blame the as they don't talk much about shotguns. It's gone a little down hill and their blogs are a lot less frequent now.

im not saying it's the best oil out there but it's pretty cheap and it makes a lot. Hell I bout most of the stuff on sale and I remeber it wasn't very expensive at all. You can tweak it as you see fit it gonna be your oil not mine. I just like it because it works and I have a lot of it.

Boolit Master
    I would do the same if i make some. I can't stand the stench of Hoppes. Kerosene I don't mind.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I would do the same if i make some. I can't stand the stench of Hoppes. Kerosene I don't mind.
    So you're saying you don't have one of these in your vehicle

Boolit Grand Master
    thanks for the intel
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Bing is Microsoft, Bill Gates has supported every Washington State Gun Control with millions of dollars.

I am with Derek, I have been using mostly straight Dextron III ATF. Now I have found when removing leading that starting with say an ounce of ATF, add 3-4 sprays of "goo gone" into the ATF will get under the lead and remove it easier. Also makes the ATF VERY slick.

I only have one revolver, a Heritage in .22lr/.22wmr. It loves this stuff. Seems to wipe dry but leaves a dry film behind that is super slippery.

YMMV but those 2 are all I have been using for the last 2-3 years. No issues here, no gummyness like you get with wd-40 or some other oils.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Bing is Microsoft, Bill Gates has supported every Washington State Gun Control with millions of dollars.
    Huh? Bing oil?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Huh? Bing oil?
    No, Bing the search engine. The OP made reference to using it instead of Google. Neither company is firearms friendly.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I've just been using ATF lately and had no ill effects...revolver gets broken down, all parts go in over night to soak. I might give this a try, not sure if I'll buy a giant bottle of hoppes though or just make do.
    ATF is a great lube for internals...and maybe more???? but I use a formula I was given many years ago for a gun's exterior, called "The Gunshow Oil".

A simple enough recipe...
    70% Mobil one (I use the 0W-30 full synth auto engine oil)
    30% STP

*It needs to be warmed up, to get it blended well...no more than 200º is needed.
    **I suspect you could use any good full synth engine oil, this is an old recipe from back in the day when nearly all engine oils weren't synthetic and Mobil One was the only widely known snyth oil...and there was only one flavor of Mobil One, LOL.

I was told this doesn't leave the usual multi-colored rainbow streaks [oil slick] like some oils will do on Blued Steel, and [since it's fairly viscus] it resists finger prints...Both of which, I think are important when presenting a gun for sale when it's likely to be handled alot ...and that's surely been my experience using this at the gunshows I've worked.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

For those who would like to make a smaller quantity (37 ounces total, a bit over a quart) of this Red Oil, the amounts in volumetric ounces are:

ATF/F 24
    10W 8
    STP 4
    Hoppes 9 1

Aside: I wish the forum would accept tabs, or even spaces, for making simple tables.
    Last edited by Nueces; 12-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So you're saying you don't have one of these in your vehicle

Oh gawd noooooooooo!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

where can I get some a those ?

Boolit Grand Master

I might as well throw my recipe in here too, but it isn't for a lube, it's my all around tool, gun soak/cleaner (the mention of Marvel's Mystery Oil reminded me). I use mineral spirits, MMO, some light motor oil (5-30) and Kroil. When I'm out of MMO I use ATF. I keep a container of this on my bench for cleaning tools (even my mics), guns and dies. I just soak the parts in the mix then just wipe dry (in gun cleaning I'll run a few patches through the bore). I'm left with a clean tool with a light film to prevent rust. As a lube, I've found 2-cycle motor oil to work pretty well, but I don't get my firearms wet, nor shoot in sub-zero weather...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast