Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Savage 10 FCP-SR 308

Savage 10 FCP-SR 308

I am looking at this rifle. Savage 10 FCP-SR 308
    Does anyone here have experience with it?

Well it turns out I traded for one. I have had success with the other Savage rifles I own so I gave it a chance. It was a good decision.
    This rifle flat shoots.
    I picked it up from the LGS last night and spent the evening going over it, cleaning it, and mounting a scope.
    I bore sighted it at the range today and by the time I had fired 10 rounds through it, I had a 3 shot group on target in the bullseye at 200 yards.
    The barrel on this rifle required little to no break in. After cleaning between rounds for 5 rounds I was getting basically nothing out of the barrel as far as dirt and copper.
    I started shooting for groups. My best group was approximately 1 inch at 200 yards for 5 shots. I had several that were 4 shot clover leafs with one that was an inch or so out of the group. Probably me doing my usual trigger jerk.
    Shooting at 100 yards was boring. Unless I did something really bad, all I got were ragged one hole groups that measured about 1/2-3/4 inch.
    Now I need to get some cast loaded for it and see how it does with that. It will probably do as well as I can shoot with it.

Taz. What loads were you using?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I was using Winchester brass, Winchester standard primer, Hornady or Sierra 168 grain match bullets(didn't seem to matter to this rifle), BLC-2 powder loaded to about 2625 fps(according to the Hodgdon data site).
    I also tried some Benchmark and CFE223 loads with the same bullets at approximately the same fps. It didn't matter much to group size which powder I used although the impact point shifted up to 2-3 inches at 200 yards when I changed powders.

Try 175gr SMK and IMR4064. That's my 1000 yard load in the 308. 44gr in LC brass
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7