Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Paper Patch Machine

Boolit Buddy

Experimental Paper Patch Machine

With a bit more R&D I think it will work well for me,,,,

https://youtu.be/Mr7YnlNzU-Q

Boolit Master
    Looks like an excellent possibility. I'm glad you were able to solve your dexterity situation. Looking forward to the next video.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Buddy
    Now I'm happy with it. Just need to practice.

https://youtu.be/G3lfJDSnUxA

Boolit Grand Master

The ammo factories originally producing Paper Patched ammo are reputeded to have had the nicest machine for wrapping patches. They used teams of young ladies to wrap bullets. They wrapped on tables and were doing around 1000 bullets a day each.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The ammo factories originally producing Paper Patched ammo are reputeded to have had the nicest machine for wrapping patches. They used teams of young ladies to wrap bullets. They wrapped on tables and were doing around 1000 bullets a day each.
    I'm to old to handle a "team of young ladies",,,, guess I'll have to stick with this contraption,,, LOL

Boolit Master
    Just call your machine Alice or Mary or something, have the best of both worlds.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

On bad days I cast and during the evening news I sit in my chair and wrap them with my fingers. Or maybe during a good Movie I will have a couple hundred wrapped.
    Here is a start for the next season.

This is just about what I need for the next seasons matches and just trigger time. I might have 2000 left by seasons end.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, that's quite a stock pile you have there "Lead pot"!!! What is that gizmo mounted on your press?

That stock pile keeps me happy for the year
    That is a tin pie pan for catching the wads I cut with a Fred Cornell wad punch.

Boolit Master
    My wad punch has a catch pan now. Just need to see more man cave reloading pictures from those who shoot a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Today's test shows promise. Not a pleasant day to shoot (-5 with a wind) but the forecast is for colder weather coming.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    ... That is a tin pie pan for catching the wads I cut with a Fred Cornell wad punch.
    very neat idea on the catch pan, need to do that with my cornell punch, too.

My wife didn't think it was a good idea when I took a knockout punched and cut a hole in the center of it. I said you don't bake to many pies any more anyway. I went down to the store and got her two pans and she made a Apple and Apricot pie LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    I noticed in your video that you had .591 bullets. That to me is a tight snider. I have loaded rounds for 2 of my brother sniders and also my personal one. In my brothers a .6 Minnie is used and in my JC lord I am using a .598 mould. If I recall it slugged out to .593 or something like that. At any rate I'm not patching and also shooting FFG. Your groups are better than most on you tube but they are messing around with hollow based bullets and the like. With my carbine if I clean between shots I am touching holes all day at 50meters. If I don't clean after the second shot they interestingly go low and to the left and a new group is formed 2" in that direction. I did bed mine as well at the end of the receiver below the tang and around the wide spot on the front of the receiver just before the barrel. There is lots of potential with these guns it's just finding one with a good bore. On a side note I did full length barrel bed a 43 Beaumont and that gun really came around after I did that. The stock was not in original configuration so I didn't feel bad doing it. Got a buck whitetail with it this year to boot. It's cold here too -32c right now so even the garage is to cold to work in have to wait for a warm spell. To do some casting. I really like the patching machine. It's quite ingenious. Most of the people on the forum are real thinkers.

Boolit Buddy
    Mgvande, I haven't got to the point where I am "touching holes" at 50 yards yet but I am seeing some improvement. The most frustrating thing is, that out of the two good Sniders that I have, the one with the best bore shoots the worst.
    In recent testing I find that the Lyman hollow based bullets shoot the best when paper patched. My mold throws a .577 dia and with two wraps of printer paper they come to .593. I have ordered a Lee .578 mold and am off to the city today to look for some better quality paper.
    The flat based X-ring bullets shoot best in this gun if they are powder coated rather than wax lubed but I still can't get better that a 3" group at 50 yards.

Like the fellow trying to build a perpetual motion engine I keep saying "I'll get it someday",,, LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Hunter View Post
    Mgvande, I haven't got to the point where I am "touching holes" at 50 yards yet but I am seeing some improvement. The most frustrating thing is, that out of the two good Sniders that I have, the one with the best bore shoots the worst.
    In recent testing I find that the Lyman hollow based bullets shoot the best when paper patched. My mold throws a .577 dia and with two wraps of printer paper they come to .593. I have ordered a Lee .578 mold and am off to the city today to look for some better quality paper.
    The flat based X-ring bullets shoot best in this gun if they are powder coated rather than wax lubed but I still can't get better that a 3" group at 50 yards.

Like the fellow trying to build a perpetual motion engine I keep saying "I'll get it someday",,, LOL
    i went down the hollow based road a few years ago with paper patch but it was not good. Have you slugged your bore? It maybe that your rifle with the best bore is the loosest. I am able to seat in mag tech brass a 60cal bullet in the 3 sniders I have loaded for. The good accuracy in my carbine could be due to me only using 60gr of Ffg as my barrel is only 19 inches so recoil is less. I would try a hard bedding compound to centre the receiver and stabilize the tang.
    Last edited by Mgvande; 12-09-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Thats a Great looking machine. Thats if You can Build it. I found that cheap Thin Blue Painters Tape works vey well also use teflon tape. I know It is Not Traditional. But I figure if It was invented Then . The wrappers would have used it.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Hunter View Post
    heck even I can do this setup. I will try this winter.

Boolit Master
    Resembles the cartridge case trimmers. Only needs some tool modification.
    I have used cigarette roller to patching. That could also be a used as a base for developement. Maybe a bit bigger and with cam or electric motor operated.

S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast