Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch temps when you smelt WW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Hydraulic: just dump the stick-ons in the melt and burn the glue off. It will help to flux the melt. DALE
    This is what I do as well, but beware it will smoke ALOT

Boolit Mold

See Post Below...

'Nitro
    Last edited by Crazy4nitro; 06-21-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Master

Just finished smelting a bucket of WW's, kept the temp around 650 -700 and used a temp stick as insurance on the outside of the cast iron pot.
    Found about 2 handfulls of zinc and steel weights, they did not melt but floated on top after the clips were pulled out. Pretty easy to toss out. They are the same "villians" as shown by quack's post plus some others.
    Fluxed with an old box of canning parafin that was in the shop?(most likely swiped from the kitchen?) anyway worked ok.
    Casting boolits next week!
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I just finished smelting a bucket of WW about two hours ago. I only noticed about five Zinc WW in this batch. There may have been more but I only pulled what was noticeable when I was scooping clips. I don’t even use a thermometer anymore when smelting. I just keep an eye on my melt. As soon as it’s hot enough to melt all of the alloy from the clips I start scooping them out. Any Zinc WW will be floating with the clips. I do sort through most of the WW to collect the stick on’s. I’ve got quite a collection of the stick on’s. They make good fishing sinkers plus they are good for slugging barrels and cylinders. I started collecting the zinc WW. Someday I’ll post pictures of all of the different Zinc WW that I have. Many are not marked with the dreaded ZN stamp.

Boolit Master
    Crazy4nitro, and you got the Exide bucket too!! Good For You!

Boolit Mold
    I just scored my first Batch of WW's (small)

I sorted it into 3 Plastic Coffee cans of Clips-ons and one Half can of stick-ons.

TY for the info and PICS..

Edit: After closer looking, the weights in the Lower left of the First Posted Pic,some of those Are lead. I have some marked "30" that are Lead. The ones Marked "20" are Super Hard.

'Nitro

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    How do you get the glue off the stick on WW's?
    I have read here that you can use something like Coleman camp-stove fuel (white gas?) to get the rubber off of the stick-ons. I haven't tried it yet, and besides, they only sell the stuff in small bottles now, not gallon cans, and for about the same price as the gallon cans used to be.