Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Star Lubricator Chronicle with Bullet Feed and Air Assist

Also think of ordering to Lathesmith a proper handle. He makes some nice ones more comfy than the original straight ones.
    I'm waiting right now from him two punches for different calibers but longer than the standard ones. The powder coated bullets are quite fat and pushing each other out of the die makes the push difficult. Also the tip of the bullet pusher gets a bit flatten. So with longer punches I'll have no bullet always sit in the die.
    Just a thought tho.

Nick I bought some push through dies from a fellow in Montana. I can do a search if you ever have a need. His push through dies for use on a single stage press are absolutely works of art. I had a couple of Lee push throughs, one for .357 and the other.358. Turned out both were the same diameter and within Lee's acceptable variance. Enough said.

I too, got excited about the PC and Hi-Tek coatings. I never did get the Hi-Tek to work mostly due to the WW alloy I was using and the PC. I still dabble in it but for the work involved and for the shooting I do, I just found it was not worth the effort on a net benefit vs time spent basis so I returned to regular lubing. Having gold bullets in a revolver was way cool though and on that account I found PC was fun to do. I originally pursued it on the hopes PC/Hi-Tek would reduce smoke significantly when shooting IDPA. I didn't find that to be the case so the excitement wore off.

Thanks for the tip.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Just got off the phone with Magna. They are sending me the two parts. The guy was very helpful. Nice company, nice folks. I will do business with them again. The only way to get the parts off the manual system would be to out the spring assembly in a vice. I was not prepared to do that as I want a functioning manual system. He understood. I did suggest Magna might consider just adding the two parts to the air cylinder for the relatively small cost involved.

He also suggested I try using the large pusher on the bullet feeder. He said unless the bellet has a pronounced shoulder on it, the large transfer bar should work for the smaller 9MM bullets with the small tube assembly. I will make the switch when I move to my 45acp lubing and try my 9MM bullet. That would remove any concerns I have regarding the block and wear and tear on the thereads for the screws that hold the thing together. Off to the hardware store. Things are coming together.

Nick one thing I have discovered is when you change dies it is easier if you simply remove the bullet feeder while you are changing the dies. It only takes a minute to remove and put back on. It makes the changing so much easier.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I believe you but I don't have the feeder. I do have three Stars each one for a different caliber so I don't really change dies. But that didn't stop me order from Lathesmith a die remover tool. I guess once a hoarder always a hoarder.

OK update. First I figured out this morning how to get the right lube flow/temp/pressure going on my 356402 bullet using the .358 die. Man can you lube fast with this thing!

I now have 9 tubes cut approx. 14" in length. I didn't want to put a lot of pressure on the bullet feeder ram. In total I have just over 100 bullets at my disposal before I have to reload tubes. The tubes vary a bit in length but average about 13 bullets each. I think new broom sweeps clean. I use 1/2" PVC pipe and it works great with .357 bullets as well as with 45 call. The 356402 is a TC design. I am about to send Lathesmith funds for a couple of molds and punches. This lubricator is a bit of a money pit. Once you start you can't stop....well she who knows best will crack me on the head and that will slow the spending down. To date I have lubed 2,750 bullets. Life is good.

Take Care

Bob

Just an update, I ordered a .358 Die and a .452 Die from Lathesmith. The former should work well for my two primary bullets I shoot in 38spl. and the latter for my 45Colt bullets. I also picked up two punches and four of his lock nuts. The nuts will ease the transition from one die to another.

My 1/2" ID tubes help a bit. They will work better for my 45 cal bullets and my 38 RN. I just have to track down some ID 3/8" pipe of some kind. I tried plastic tubing and that was a no go. The larger pipe and my 9MM bullets are not liking each other well enough to make loading the tubes worth the time.

The Air Cylinder parts are arriving in Vancouver today and should be here by Monday. I am not sure paying for "faster" mail delivery has much affect on how quickly the mail is delivered. The USPS and Canada Post may surprise me yet.

I do like the machine and it is faster than the RCBS Lubricator even in manual mode. Time to cast some bullets while I wait for parts and new dies.

Take Care

Bob

Items to Note for first time owners of the Star Lubricator

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN DISCOVERED AFTER TRYING TO DO IT DIFFERENTLY OR FINDING OUT THE LUBER WAS NOT FUNCTIONING AS I THOUGHT IT SHOULD. I HAVE THE MECHANICAL ABILITY OF A STONE SO MOST OF YOU WILL JUST SHAKE YOUR HEAD AND SAY “Dumb Canuck” LOL

1. The Star Sizer Manual is pretty thin on information so read every word carefully. If in doubt ask your questions on this sub-forum.

2. If you buy the Air cylinder phone Magna and get them to send you parts S107 and S130. At the time I bought mine they were not shipped with the air cylinder. I strongly suggested they should send a complete unit. The unit is not inexpensive so it should come ready to be installed. There maybe a way to remove the parts from the manual system without destroying the Unit. I could not find it, hats off to you if you can.

3. Multiple pistol bullet types can be used with the same die if they are all single lube grove and the depth from the base to the middle of the grove are the same, IF they are not then you can either adjust your punch depth each time you go to a different bullet requiring a different seating depth OR buy multiple punches and use lock nuts from Lathesmith to prset each punch. I opted for the additional punches from Lathesmith. Great guy cannot recommend highly enough.

4. I went with the bullet feeder…some don’t. On balance, I think it makes the task easier. When changing punches with the feeder installed I have found it much easier to remove it when changing bullet punches and/or dies.

5. The lubricator does not rely solely on pressure on the lube to function, unlike the RCBS/Lyman lubers. It has a pump that works on the complete down stroke. I say complete. If you short stroke the down stroke lube fill out will not be there all the time.

6. The heater comes factory set for their lube and mine was spot on after I tried to adjust it for the wrong reasons. I did, surprisingly have the foresight to mark the initial settings. For me that falls to a “stroke of genius”. For other lubes you may have to adjust the settings. Check everything else before you do tinker with the heater.

7. Buy the shovel handle from Magna or Lathesmith. I live in Canada so I bought it from Magna to save a bit on shipping. The handle that comes with the Lubricator is kind of a throwback to another era.

8. Lube the bullet feeder transfer bar – thanks for the tip ReloaderFred. I should add when replacing the feeder bar, remove the bullet feeder to do so. What a $#$@#$ job it is if you don’t the first time. …don’t ask!

9. Don't forget to ensure the loading transfer bar is centered over the feeding tube. Just saying.

10. Not sure the auto feeding device is worth having. I am beginning to think I spend as much time loading tubes as I do lubing and the device gets in the way of adjusting punch depth etc. The feeder is probably more of an advantage for commercial boys using multiple lubing machines. But I have it and I will use it for now.

11. For new users my advice is to leave the factory setting for heat where they set it if you are using their hard lube. If you get lube on the nose fiddle first with the punch depth either up or down until a fast consistent stroke gets you a clean bullet nose. The manual setting for pressure is another fiddly thing but I am slowly getting the pressure right for the heat setting. For me the punch setting was the tough one to get right.

12. I received the two parts I was missing and finally got my Air Cylinder up and running. Boy did it solve some issues. I lubed both the 9MM 125 gr Lyman 356402 bullet - punch setting 1.190" and the RCBS 158 gr RN 38spl bullet - punch setting 1.255" with the air cylinder set at 39lbs and the temperature setting at the level the factory set it for using their hard lube. Sorry I do not have a temperature gauge. At this setting I am getting full lube in the groves and no lube on the bullet olgive. The latter was something I was getting using the manual system. I try to use a constant stroke and cadence. I probably am not going as fast as the press will function at but I have no reason to go much faster. I do check my bullets at this stage as they go into the luber so things slow down more than some might run.

13. As to the bullet loader....I have it and I am using it. For hobby types I am not sure using it is any faster than just loading the machine by hand. Loading the tube or tubes is the offset to any gain on using the bullet feeder itself. The attachment does work.. If funds are tight or you are undecided I would go with the air system - it does make a difference - and pass on the bullet feeder. If you go with the air cylinder insist Magna include parts S107, and S130. It makes no sense to me to have to take off 15 cents worth of washers off the manual system in order to have the air system functioning. It also makes no sense to me to not package the lubricator with an and/or option. Sell the unit as a manual system or as an air drive system at slightly different price points or include both at a higher price point over all. The company could make more money and sell the luber for two different price points.

14. I think I have the best lubing system available. If you cast and lube a lot of handgun bullets it certainly makes life easier. I will retain my RCBS Lubrisizer to do rifle and the oddball handgun bullets I cast.

I thank Reloader Fred who has proivided insightful commentary on the ins and outs of using the machine and whose wise council I will no doubt call upon again.

Thus ends the "end of the beginning" to paraphrase Sir Winston C.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 12-15-2016 at 07:52 PM.

I have to second that Lathesmith is one of the greatest guys to deal with. His products are top notch quality. I've just got a package from him two handles, one die removing tool and two longer punches to avoid two bullets training each other through the die for powder coated bullets who do not require lube.
    Lathesmith is the definition of seriousness and professionalism. Period.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your posts bring back a lot of memories. My first Star experience was over 40 years ago. It was the only unit I had and changing from the .358 die to the .308 die was a bit of a pain the butt, but man...would that machine lube bullets fast.

When I decided to buy a Lyman, my mentor told me to save up and buy the best...I would never be happy with the Lyman after using a Star. I could use his until I had the money saved up. He was so right.

Lost my first Star during a divorce but got another a few years back.

Have fun sir....

BTW, born and raised in Toronto so I started as a dumb Canuck too! Became a US citizen in 2005...slightly less dumb now...LOL

Don Verna

dverna, I don't blame you for running out from Toronto. Any smart man would do the same, lol.

Glad to be of some small assistance, Bob. I enjoyed our conversation last night, too.

I've got a Lyman, an RCBS, two Seaco and 7 Star sizers. I use them all at various times for different tasks, but the Star machines get about 95% of my use. My 7th Star is in the process of being rebuilt, since it spent several years in a bucket of water in a steel building. The previous owner was pretty much a shade tree mechanic, and fell under the influence of Demon Rum and the resultant effects in his final years, so his equipment was left as he last used it, with no care whatsoever. I bought all of it from his heir, who also succumbed to ol' Demon Rum at an early age, mixed with whatever pharmaceuticals he could lay his hands on.... "Victimless crime", my behind!...

Anyway, once the Star machines are tuned in, they're a pleasure to use. I've got about 10,000 200 gr. RNFP .45 bullets ready to size and lube, and I'm not dreading the task like I would with an "up and down" type sizing machine. I just need to find the time to begin....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The only problem is he didn't take Toronto with him! He might have gone to Chicago and that would definitely not been a step up and there are not many cities I would say that about Toronto. LOL

Take Care

Bob

Has anyone ever adapted one of these for the Star Bullet Feeder?

http://leeprecision.com/multi-tube-feeder.html

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't done it but it has been done. My concern would be the amount of weight on the feeder assembly.

I believe there's a video on YouTube showing how the Lee feeder was adapted to work on a Star.

Well I had high hopes that my parts for the Air Cylinder would arrive today.

Alas, having paid for the extra special fast speedy mail service USPS has decided London, England via LA is the most direct route to Terrace, BC.

I woke up this morning to find my computer telling me my package had arrived safely in jolly old London, England and was awaiting further sorting. Hopefully, Her Majesties Royal Mail will be good enough to send it to her former NA colony....Canada. If past experiences are any indication the parcel should arrive on this side of the pond tomorrow in Montreal, thence across the continent to Vancouver then up to Terrace.

I wonder where the our cousins in USPS would have sent the package if I had opted for regular parcel post. Normally the USPS manages to do better. Last time I was advised by them, the issue lies with their computer sorting equipment. Apparently their computers have trouble discerning the difference between our postal codes and those used in the UK. Both use letters and numbers but, not in the same sequence!

Ah well, it is all pensionable time. A phone call to Magna is in order just to let them know a postal claim might be forthcoming.

Take Care

Bob
    ps Spoke to Elizabeth at Magna. We had a great discussion on the ins and outs of the USPS. She had a parcel destined for Italy go US, Spain, Canada, US, Canada thence to Italy all in a mere 8 weeks. Ah well, hopefully the parts will arrive by the end of this week.

PPS Rather than wait I paid for postage and Magna sent the two replacement parts. Let's hope USPS sends it north.
    Last edited by robertbank; 12-21-2016 at 01:49 PM.

OK, After about 10K bullets lubed I regard myself as an enthusiastic amateur, somewhat below an expert but one who has had his fingers pinched.

I love the machine. No surprise there. I think the air assist is the best money I spent aside from the machine itself. For me it made the difference between having your bullets lubed consistently without playing with the need to constantly adjust the pressure on the lube. At 41lbs pressure and the factory setting for heat my bullets come out perfect. I may drop the bullet feeder when sizing my 9MM bullets. I don't see where I gain any time by using it. We shall see.

I am going to contact Magna after Christmas and order more lube. I just have to decide on how much. LOL.

Lathesmith dies should arrive here later this week or next. I will have all my pistol calibers covered except for 40cal and I don't shoot much of the 40 anymore.

I want to thank those of you who helped me transition to this machine. I hope some of what I went through helps those who are about to buy and use the Star.

To all

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Take Care

Bob

After my removing die tool and the longer punches arrived from Lathesmith I realized I have 3 extra Star sizing machines I will never use. The initial thought was to have in each one a caliber and never change dies. Now using powder coating and Hi-Tek coating there is no need for the lube function anymore.
    Star is the best lube/sizer money can buy from an amateur point of view. The initial investment is discouraging big time but the speed and reliability makes it worth every penny.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bob. I'm glad you've got it up and running, and I'm also glad I was able to render a little assistance along the way.

Nick Quick,

The older I get, the more valuable my time becomes, so the Star Sizers to me are one of those necessities of life. The time they save is used for other pursuits, such as shooting, etc.

Take care,

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Well I just received two dies and punches from Lathesmith. What a treat. They are exactly what I wanted. Like many here I highly recommend anyone new to the Star to look at his products. First class in every respect. Thanks Chris.

Take Care

Banned

quite the saga Robert.
    if you make the tubes longer and have more of them you'll appreciate the feeder more.
    I went to a plumbing supply store and bought some 1/2" and 3/8" id clear tube and made my own.
    I sit there and fill 20 tubes while the machine is warming up.
    as I run each tube through it seems the machine will run through a heat cycle right at the end of a tube.
    every 9-10 tubes I throw another stick of lube in the machine.
    you get about 1-K boolits in the 45 cal area and about 11-1200 in the 38 size in the tubes.
    and from 2 tubes of lube.
    you'll kill about an hour and a half of your day if you can keep a steady pace with the sizer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast