Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here's the 1873 I bought last Saturday.

Here's the 1873 I bought last Saturday.

Finally was able to get some photos of the 1873 in 44-40 I bought last Saturday. I had talked to the guy for 7 months before I bought it. He was on the fence on selling it and in the years that he had it, he never shot it. I fired 20 rounds through it today. I'm going to have to slug it as it's not too accurate. Seems to drift from shooting at 50 yards. Shot cowboy loads through it. I plan on only shooting light loads through it anyway. The Sunday after I bought it I was able to take it to a gun show and a few people that seemed to know a thing or two about them said I done good on it. Not planning on parting with it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's a mighty fine lookin' rifle!! Jealous here!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Good looking gun! Bet you can get her shootin' again and find a load she likes. How's the bore?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Good looking gun! Bet you can get her shootin' again and find a load she likes. How's the bore?
    For 137 years old I'd say it's pretty good. Some pitting but I don't think it's too bad. Here's as good of a photo I could get of it. Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Some handloads maybe a little paper patching or bumping up the diameter and I bet you'll find her shooting sweet soon
    Congratulations on a beautiful shoot in iron
    Bulldogger

Thank You Sir! I like her. Looking forward to tuning up a good shooting load for her. Just going to take my time with it and have fun.

Boolit Master

Very nice with honest use........
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    Very nice, and some fine pics Babbott!!!
    "That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man" Lucky Ned Pepper

Sure hope it wasn't loaded in those photos with the hammer cocked.....

Nice lookin' boomstick though! Only ones I see are at Cabelas and priced waaaay over my head.

Love to have one like that in the safe. Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing says "Been there, done that" like a Model 1873 honestly showing its age. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

When I see the patina or dents and nicks on the wood I don't feel so bad about a couple of my rifles I carry on my 4 Wheeler/tractor. opportunistic use like those old 73's saw show. Since you have a C&B revolver you might as well try black powder in it. Guy on the Marlin forum has a sticky on getting consistent accuracy with black out of the 44-40. He had read that they could shoot 30 rounds consecutively accurately and found he could do so. Enjoy.

DEP

Boolit Master
    My my.FINE looking `73.May you enjoy much venison together.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    The eveness of the "plum" patina on the metal and the assorted imperfections on the wood makes for a wonderful look.

deepwater

Nice vintage '73! Looks great!

Your barrel looks similar to the one on my '73 (1882) and with the proper size cast bullets it shoots fine, so I would think yours will too.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the Cowboy ammunition?

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    That's some mighty fine looking shooting iron you have there, boy if that rifle could tell a story I'd make time to listen!

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    That is a fine looking 73 in one of my favorite 73 calibers. You have a very good barrel and if you will take a little time with that great ol" rifle you will discover it can put those pills right on the money.

First you must remember that rifle was built in the hay day of black powder cartridges. All my inicial shooting with a BP cartridge rifle or pistol begins with BP and 40-1 bullets to discover the real accuracy potential of the particular shooting iron. In 44 WCF I would be looking at about 37 grains of 3F Goex with a cereal box wad on top all under a 200 grain bullet of .429 diameter. That powder charge will bump up that bullet to properly fill the groove and with that good looking barrel will probably be shooting clover leafs at 50 yards if you can hold her steady. 3F burns much cleaner than 2F and will not require the barrel to be swabbed until accuracy falls off.

Once you have fired off a batch of BP rounds you will now have your (shooter and rifle) accuracy base line to attempt to beat with smokeless. But do not feel to oppressed if you discover there is no smokeless load that can beat that 3F load in your hands. I still have several old Winchesters that absolutely defy my attempts to best my simple and easy to make 3F loads. But a hollow base 200 grain bullet with a proper crimp groove for 44 WCF will get you very close.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    Nice vintage '73! Looks great!

Your barrel looks similar to the one on my '73 (1882) and with the proper size cast bullets it shoots fine, so I would think yours will too.

What kind of accuracy are you getting with the Cowboy ammunition?

w30wcf
    The first few shots seemed good, but after about six rounds the started getting off to the right a good bit. This was at about 40 yards freestanding. I may shoot from a rest today in order to get a better understanding on what's going on if time permits. The cowboy loads were, MagTech. Looking forward to loading my own loads soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    That's some mighty fine looking shooting iron you have there, boy if that rifle could tell a story I'd make time to listen!
    You and me both.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good evening
    That is a fine looking 73 in one of my favorite 73 calibers. You have a very good barrel and if you will take a little time with that great ol" rifle you will discover it can put those pills right on the money.

First you must remember that rifle was built in the hay day of black powder cartridges. All my inicial shooting with a BP cartridge rifle or pistol begins with BP and 40-1 bullets to discover the real accuracy potential of the particular shooting iron. In 44 WCF I would be looking at about 37 grains of 3F Goex with a cereal box wad on top all under a 200 grain bullet of .429 diameter. That powder charge will bump up that bullet to properly fill the groove and with that good looking barrel will probably be shooting clover leafs at 50 yards if you can hold her steady. 3F burns much cleaner than 2F and will not require the barrel to be swabbed until accuracy falls off.

Once you have fired off a batch of BP rounds you will now have your (shooter and rifle) accuracy base line to attempt to beat with smokeless. But do not feel to oppressed if you discover there is no smokeless load that can beat that 3F load in your hands. I still have several old Winchesters that absolutely defy my attempts to best my simple and easy to make 3F loads. But a hollow base 200 grain bullet with a proper crimp groove for 44 WCF will get you very close.
    Mike in Peru
    You know I'm really only wanting to do BP loads with this gun. I'm a newbie to BP cartridges, so I'll be taking my time with it for sure. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast