Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Time to clean the powder measure today!

Time to clean the powder measure today!

I haven't reloaded in several months and got to it today. When setting up and checking my Lee disc measure I noticed some inconsistency I hadn't seen before. I was trying to 'throw' close to 3 grains of 'Clays' for a .38 Special load. Emptied the hopper and wiped it down with a drier sheet. It is working a lot better now. I will try in keep that in my memory banks for future reference? hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I take my Lyman 55 apart sometimes when it’s not working smoothly enough for me. When I put it back together, I use graphite on moving parts. It usually works a lot smoother after that. I don’t leave powder in it when I’m done using it either.

Almost KABOOM 44 magnum
    Short story-Don't use oil on a powder measure. Screw was hard to put back in last reloading session. Oiled 1 drop of BF CLP. 2 days later, went to load 44 with 296. Powder drops under weight. Found the problem. Use Isopropyl Alcohol 91% to clean. It will remove graphite deposits

I've got the hopper & rotating drum kind.
    When I'm done with a session, I dump the powder back out so the clear plastic tube doesn't turn hard and split.
    And I pull the drum out and go over the rotating surfaces with auto paste wax, then wipe 'em off.
    So far, that's worked well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I use the same lubricant the powder manufacturers use. Graphite.

I sprayed the drums and rotors of my measures with a very thin coat of CRC spray graphite. I put them back together when bone dry.
    I also save silica bags from machine installs. I seal a couple table spoons in my measures when not in use. The silica beads are small enough to meter out.

Works for me in a high humid area.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

My auto drum. I use a nylon bore brush to clean the drop tube part. As well as the adjustment tube. The rest i wipe down with a dryer sheet.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus

I was loading some .32acp's, and -- using my Dillon 550 powder measure with the small slide -- I was not getting the performance I wanted. In .32acp loading, there is very little wiggle room between a light load and an overload! I took it all apart, cleaned it with alcohol, and used a dryer sheet on plastic. I also ran a 12-gauge copper wire dropped straight down in powder, hooked to a metal screw on measure, jumped to press frame, and then plugged into the ground hole of a 110V plug outlet. Somewhere -- I do not recall source -- someone suggested to use the LARGE slide. Huh? While it made zero sense to me, it improved metering so much I have pretty much retired the small slides... I use a tad of a dry Teflon spray as lub for slide bottom, and albeit I'm both OCD enough and too frightened of a fatal overcharge in my Beretta Tomcat, I still do an overall weight check on each case.
    I will confirm the cleaning + dryer sheet helped.
    geo

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    I cleaned my Hollyweird Gun Shop over the weekend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3473.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	294410

Boolit Master

Looks a lot like a Saeco measure which is the most accurate that I own.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris