Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Ingot Molds: Non-stick muffin pan ok?

Ingot Molds: Non-stick muffin pan ok?

My wife, bless her, is such a sweetheart. I told her I needed to get a few muffin pans for casting ingots, as they are the perfect size for dropping into my old Saeco pot. As such, I'd much prefer ingots made from muffin tins over the bar style one pound ingot molds I already have.

She just came into the den a few minutes ago, with two brand new NON STICK muffin pans for me to use as ingot molds. Now I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious, but I have to ask... Is it ok to use non-stick muffin pans for casting ingots? There's nothing in the Teflon coating that'll mess up bullet alloy, right?

Sorry for the noobish question... I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases.

Boolit Master

Be careful of the fumes the first few times you cast. They are not friendly to living things.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

All that non-stick coating is going to bubble off when you pour in the hot lead. The ingots will look cratered when you pop them out but will be fine.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Be careful of the fumes the first few times you cast. They are not friendly to living things.
    Should be doing your smelting ideally outside, but at least in a well ventilated area.

Boolit Grand Master

I burnt the Teflon off w/ a torch first. I had on proper PPE because I did not want to catch the Teflon flu.

Boolit Buddy
    Find some cast Iron you will soon know why.
    Silver Hand

Good idea regarding the torch.

Yeah, we know all about the toxic fumes of non-stick cookware. We've had parrots for over 19 years, and the first thing any parrot owner must be willing to give up is their non stick cookware. It'll kill pet parrots fast. The new ceramic non stick cookware is fine, but the Teflon based stuff is as poisonous as cyanide to birds. My wife was excited to get the ceramic based nonstick cookware last year, as it was the first non stick she's been able to have since way before we got our first pet bird.

And yes, I always do all my casting either out doors, or in the front of the garage with a box fan sitting right in front of the pot blowing the pot smoke (so to speak ) outside.

Boolit Grand Master

If the non-stick comes off (not sure with the ceramic) let the steel sit outside and rust. You will get much better release that way.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Will do, Wayne, thanks!