WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: No number AR lowers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Does not Federal Law in this instance supersede State Law as these are Federal Rules on the lowers? It's all confusing with magazine limits in some states and not others, silencer laws, etc. It's all over the place but since this is not an "add on" but integral to the firearm I would think that federal law would take over.
    This is one of those things where State law wins. For example, I just read a post a bit ago where PA was going to allow semi automatics for hunting soon, where before they didn't. And Texas legalized the use of suppressors for hunting a few years ago, where as before we could own them, use them, etc, but could not hunt with them. These were State rules, not Federal, and they got changed. Took a long while and a lot of people working together, but it got done. You get the idea. There are laws on both the Fed and State level that I don't like, but I would still much rather the State got more say, as things should be. I mean, can you imagine what would happen if we just let the Feds run everything? They can't get much right as it is cause their heads are too big already. And it's much easier to change laws on the local and State level than it is on the Fed level, so I would say that even though it really sucks that some people have to jump through these hoops, it is up to them to change things for the better in their State. I never said it was easy, or that it wouldn't be frustrating, but it can be done, and needs to be.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    ..........supersede State Law as these are Federal Rules on the lowers? It's all confusing with magazine limits in some states and not others, silencer laws, etc. It's all over the place but since this is not an "add on" but integral to the firearm I would think that federal law would take over.
    Lets play a "what if?" The Range Master confiscates your AR that has no serial number and turns you over too the State Cop at the next bench at the range. You are arrested, charged and on trial in State Court. You tell the Judge that you are innocent because you have complied with Federal Law, the State Judge laughs and says Guilty and that you have lost your gun, Jail time and a fine. Actually it is not the serial number that is the problem, it is that in Hawaii you have to register you gun with the police and they will not register the gun without a serial number, you are busted for an unregistered firearm. You could then try to fight it with a Federal Suit against the State for an Unconstitutional Law, good luck with that, the courts aren't ready to be throwing out all the gun laws yet.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

In Remembrance
    No federal law does not supercede state laws. States can add to pretty much any federal law. If they couldn't pretty much all state laws would be the same, instead of say California Laws against say, Alaska laws. Supposedly state laws can't detract from federal laws, but in the last few years several states have declared Marijuana legal, which is still illegal and the feds can bust you even though your state may say all is fine with it.
    States do not have to enforce federal laws, but they legally can not take away from a federal law.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Can't someone put a custom serial number on an 80% and register it? Of course, that negates the whole purpose behind doing it in the first place.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Can't someone put a custom serial number on an 80% and register it? Of course, that negates the whole purpose behind doing it in the first place.
    Yes, they can do that.

On the other hand, they could also put a custom number on an 80% lower and NOT register it. As far as I know, there's nothing in the (unconstitutional) ATF regs that says that you only need to put the number on it prior to selling it.

In Remembrance
    Yes, but in some states registration is required to even own it or have it in your possession, this post being about one.
    I do wonder how this works with older guns that never had a serial number from the factory, are you required to engrave a serial number and register them too.

Customs officials require a serial number on the form you fill out when I transport guns through Canada, but the older ones they have no problem with them not haveing one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Yes, but in some states registration is required to even own it or have it in your possession, this post being about one.
    I do wonder how this works with older guns that never had a serial number from the factory, are you required to engrave a serial number and register them too.

Customs officials require a serial number on the form you fill out when I transport guns through Canada, but the older ones they have no problem with them not haveing one.
    For those states, are you required to have some sort of registration card with you for any firearm you take to the range?

My experience at the range in question does not lead me to believe that the worker there goes from stall to stall checking to see if the firearms were registered. As a matter of fact, mine was not registered and since I had bought it from an individual in a FTF transaction in Texas, there was not even an official paper trail leading from the manufacturer to me. In fact, it's entirely possible that someone could have a legal 80%-based firearm there and it not be registered since he might be visiting from out-of-state and is not staying long enough to be required to register the firearm.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 11-25-2016 at 03:50 PM.

In Remembrance
    I sure can't answer that, but do see your point. That is why I ask if the RO checked every firearm, just black rifles, or what exactly what the policy is?

Boolit Master
    Ok guys, it's official. I am NOT driving through Hawaii on my next road trip! I don't wanna get in trouble.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Ok guys, it's official. I am NOT driving through Hawaii on my next road trip! I don't wanna get in trouble.
    Well, they *do* have an interstate highway...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Well, they *do* have an interstate highway...

That is just silly.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    That is just silly.
    Not much sillier than Alaska having one...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Not much sillier than Alaska having one...
    And not much sillier than either one being part of the US. Alaska I can sort of understand and we're physically connected to it. Hawaii is a bunch of islands in the middle of a vast ocean that we took from the natives. I know we took this continent as well.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    1. SCOTUS has been overstepping its robes for a very long time.

2. Inalienable Rights ARE absolute.

3. "Shall not be infringed" means SHALL and NOT and BE and INFRINGED. PERIOD.

Glad we got that cleared up,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345