Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sucessful load ! Whoo hoo !!!

Banned

You need one that rolls Blunts...

Boolit Master
    Avg. velocity for the (31 grain) IMR-3031 load is about 2060 fps, so I expect that the 32 - 34 grain IMR-4064 load will be similar.

Boolit Master
    A further update....FYI for any who might be interested. I am still working with the loads using IMR-4064...because I have lots of it on hand. I THOUGHT that the "sweet spot" was somewhere in the range of 32 to 36 grains, in my rifle (as I reported before). Not quite true. Subsequent (extensive) testing has indicated that the best accuracy actually comes with a charge weight of 31.6 - 31.8 grains of the 4064. This is interesting, because the best load with the IMR-3031 (a good bit faster powder than 4064)...with all components being the same, is 31 grains. However, the 4064 shows to be less sensitive to small variations in charge weight and anything from 31 to 33 grains produces pretty good accuracy (definitely more than good enough for hunting). So, I have "adopted" the 31.6 grain load as my new limited "standard" load.

I have yet to chrono the 31.6 grain (4064) load, so I do not know how it compares to the (31 grain) 3031 load (avg. 2060 fps). However, as long as it produces roughly 2000 fps, or not much less, then it will still be OK for my purposes (whitetail deer at distances not to exceed 150 yards). Even 1900 fps would likely be just fine.

Another update - as to the cotton fibre filler. I have tested both with and without it extensively...and the load described above definitely is more consistent WITH the cotton filler. Without it, group sizes open up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    ....the bullet sized to .314" with a Lee die.... paper-patched with two wraps of ordinary lined notebook paper, to a final dry diameter of .324"....and lubed with one coat of Lee Liquid Alox.
    Would this work with as cast boolits from a mold that drops them at .314 like one of the Lee C312 (155, 160 or 185) molds ?

I'm looking to pick up a Yugo 24/47 and I like the idea of NOT having to buy another size of gas checks. I also have a 30-06 and a .308 and thought it MIGHT be possible to use the same boolits sized down and paper patched as well. If that worked out I wouldn't have to buy ANY gas checks! Even if I did have to get another .30 cal. mold for the '06 and .308 it would still be worth it without having to buy gas checks.

Boolit Master

I use the C312/185C Lee mold for my .308s also. I paper patch them, and use them with just a gas check.
    I found, with sizing that casting to the .308 diameter, .309 un patched, .308 patched, the .309 sizes real easily, .308 for patching is a pain.
    I would paper patch unchecked at .308, and size .309 checked.
    With two wraps of Meade Tracing Paper, sizing to .308 then wrapping, I get .3135 dry.
    For my 30 cals., I size to .308, two wraps of Meade, then size to .311.
    I load lowest charge for the weight on the Lee die sheet.
    Not too shabby.

Boolit Master
    Certainly, if you have a mold that drops the bullets at .314"....no need to size them for an 8mm rifle. Just paper-patch and go.

As for the 30 cal. rifle, .314" is too large. You will need to size the bullet to roughly .300", or so, depending on the patching paper you use (final, dry diamter of the patched bullet should be about .308 - .309", depending on what your rifle likes). It should be NO problem to size a .314" bullet to about .300" or so. I buy my bullets at .324"...then size them to .314" myself, with a cheap Lee die and hand press. Piece of cake.

No more gas-checks ? THAT is exactly why I tried paper-patching. I am incredibly glad that I did.

After doing some searching, I see that it is usually recommended to use a boolit that is at or slightly larger than bore diameter (across the lands) and then patch up to groove diameter. I think the C312 boolits would probably be a bit small on the bore riding nose to use them in the 8mm. Probably better to stay with the C324-175 boolit and size it down like you are doing. Would case lube work for sizing boolits down this much?
    What is your barrel diameter across the lands? What is the standard for 8mm? I did some searching and it appears that people slug 8mm barrels anywhere from .312 to .318 at the lands. Quite a variety it seems. I think it would be best to get a .314 sizer and hone it out as needed to fit.
    Looks like I've got my .30 cal. boolit covered for now. My dad is sending me a 311466 mold. I have shot this boolit in my .308 mauser with very good results (gas checked and lubed). Anyone paper patch this boolit? Could you hone out a lee .285 sizer to say .301 to size it for PPing?

Boolit Master
    Case lube will work just fine for resizing bullets. The standard dimension across the lands (which is called BORE diameter), for the 8 x 57JS, is .318". As you already know, the GROOVE diameter is .323". My "new" old barrel measures exactly .318" across the lands....and just a bit under .323", across the grooves (more like .3227"- .3228"). The exact bore dimension (and groove dimension, for that matter) of each individual rifle will vary somewhat, especially ones with lots of rounds fired (due to varying rates of wear). As for the .312"/ .318" confusion, I think I have an answer for you. Originally, that is, before 1905, the standard dimensions were .312" bore/ .318" groove. This was referred to as the 8 x 57 J. Around 1905, a change was made , so the standard groove diameter became .323"..and the standard bore diameter became .318". This was designated the 8 x 57JS. (It happened to be that, as this change was being made, the switch to spitzer-type bullets was being made also. The "S" in "JS" refers to spitzer-type bullets, but also happens to designate barrels with the new dimensions.) So, any barrels referred to as "8mm Mauser" with bore/ groove dimensions of .312"/ .318" are of the "old" type. ALL modern "8mm Mauser" barrels will be of the .318"/ .323" dimensions, although it pays to slug any old rifle barrel, if one is not sure of the dimensions already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12