RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore

6.5 Creedmore

A while back I got an itch for a 257 Roberts. Just for kicks I went to the local LGS and could not find ammo for it. There was none available at my mail order outlets either. The rifles I was interested in were at an auction and went for more than I wanted to pay for those particular rifles. Bought a 243 from another shooter at a good price and like the caliber somewhat. While searching for a better 243 I happened upon a 6.5 Creedmore. Through curiosity I looked up the caliber and it looks like it might kind of scratch an itch or create one. I used to think that making up a 6.5X55 into a modern action would make for a great rifle and the Creedmore does that. Seems to be a popular target cartridge. Anyone have one and hunt with it.

DEP

Boolit Master
    I have one but do not hunt. I do, however, punch holes in small groups at 300 yards with it. It is a very nice caliber and is so easy to load accurate rounds for.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master

Would the 260 Remington be an option? Performance is the about the same, but cases are either readily available or easily formed with fewer steps than the 6.5 Grendel.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

260 would be a good option, depends on the rifle. About the same thing.

DEP

Banned

The Grendel and the CreedMoor are two entirely different cartridges.

Banned
    i've got a 6.5 creedmoor in tc encore with a 16 1/4" MGM barrel. i shoot targets and deer with it. a 120gr nosler bt and a load of superformance goes .3" at 100 yards(5 shots). brass isn't much of a problem. there is either hornady or nosler/lapua. also it takes a 22-250 necked up to 6.5.( Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass: Forming 6.5 Creedmoor cases from 22-250 brass | Rifleshooter.com ) i got enuff 6.5 hornady cases to last a lifetime.

Read that it was based on the 300 Savage case, which is also a 22-250 case or a 250 case. Could make them out of a 308 case. About any cartridge you see will be based on the 12mm base so manufacturers can use the same bolts. I had a Swedish carbine many years ago and liked it sort of. I shoot lefty and got a 270 LH and got rid of the Swede.
    Noticed some of the loaded ammo is less expensive than the 260 (not by much) The 260 is a good cartridge but hasn't taken the world by storm, at least locally. See more 25-06's, but I feel the 264's are a better choice. I do enjoy shooting the 243 and it works fine for me as I deer hunt and maybe shoot an occasional coyote. I had another one and shot crows across my hay field.

DP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Read that it was based on the 300 Savage case, which is also a 22-250 case or a 250 case. Could make them out of a 308 case. About any cartridge you see will be based on the 12mm base so manufacturers can use the same bolts. I had a Swedish carbine many years ago and liked it sort of. I shoot lefty and got a 270 LH and got rid of the Swede.
    Noticed some of the loaded ammo is less expensive than the 260 (not by much) The 260 is a good cartridge but hasn't taken the world by storm, at least locally. See more 25-06's, but I feel the 264's are a better choice. I do enjoy shooting the 243 and it works fine for me as I deer hunt and maybe shoot an occasional coyote. I had another one and shot crows across my hay field.

DP
    yep, you could choose a 250 or 300 savage. i think that it is because the 22-250 case is everywhere. the 250 and the 300 savage is hard to find brass for. but like i said, i have more than enuff 6.5cm hornady brass to last my lifetime.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The Grendel and the CreedMoor are two entirely different cartridges.
    Whoops! I meant Creadmoor.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    My new Roberts brass is made by necking down 7mm Mauser brass. I bought some S&B 7mm cases on line, and they seem to be of good quality.
    I don't own a Creedmore, but one of the suggested handloads on the Creedmore ammo box is the same bullet/powder charge I use in my 6.5X55.

I have a .260 Remington, and thus far, I have not been satisfied with the on-range results. I just swapped-out the Leupold 4x12 scope it was wearing for a Vortex HS-T in 4x16. Hopefully, a scope failure was the problem. We shall see. To date, it seems awfully picky about loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    The 6.5 creedmore is an excellent hunting cartridge. Loaded with the appropriate bullet wt/design is can take down up to and including elk. The 6mm line of cartridges have a long successful hunting heritage in Europe. Deer hunting is easily accomplished with 243 and 270 level cartridges so 6.5mm will fit nicely. In addition you have a tack driver for long range target shooting so dual use.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Man
    I recently picked up a Ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor to replace my CZ 6.5x55 I handed down to my daughter and her husband.
    It's topped with a swfa ss10x42M that so far I'm very pleased with and a Harris bipod.
    The two 1 inch targets are at 100 yards, the brown craft paper targets are 200 yds.
    I'm very happy with this set up so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk