RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag

Boolit Master

7mm Rem Mag

Son Jim bought a 7mm Weatherby from a friend. Paid a reasonable price. I decided to get a mold and cast boolits so he could shoot the thing without spending a ton of money on commercial ammo. Was in a LGS and checked on the actual cost of Weatherby ammo. JFC! $101.40 per box of 20! Ca-flamin'-rrumba!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Is it 7mm Rem Mag. or 7mm Weatherby Magnum ? Two different cartridges,yes Weatherby is expensive. 7mm Remington Mag. ammo $35.00-60.00.

Boolit Buddy
    If its 7mm WM. Midway has factory ammo as low as $51- a box.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

The price of any of the Weatherby cartridges are strong motivation for learning to reload.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

If it is a Weatherby Vanguard, synthetic stock, the caliber is most likely 7mm Rem. Magnum.

Banned

A MUST to load for. I had dies, bullets and all else before my .300 came in. It would do 1/2 minute to 600 yards. I did bed and float it. 26" "B" barrel.
    Prices are crazy today.

Boolit Master
    weatherby ammo can be found for $40 a box if you shop around... the brass for loading cost the same as the loaded ammo.

Banned

Still too much. But to get the brass is OK. Weatherby ammo is a bear to load. The size die needs lapped for minimum neck sizing or pulling the expander will bend the round shoulders. 7mm Rem is easier.
    I love the Mark V action but every Vanguard has been super accurate, fine rifle. Don't believe 1-1/2" at 100 yards. Most do WAY better.
    The last time I bought ammo was 1956 since .44 brass was not out yet. Today I shoot the .44 a dime a shot and the .500 JRH is 12 to 13 cents. More powder is all. I don't know what the .300 Weatherby cost back then, bullets and primers, I had a 40# keg of 4831. Still cheap as you can get.
    Things are funny, you can buy 12 ga shells cheaper then you can load today but slugs are nuts. Pack of 5! I used to buy shot for $5 for 25#. I still have a large red keg half full of red dot. Shot today will drag your chin though pig poop!

Boolit Master
    weatherby rounds are best to be neck sized only if you want more than 2-3 loadings on the same brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Little known fact is that the bullet in Weatherby's factory ammo is a Hornady unless it is labelled as Nosler, Barnes or whoever. At least it was twenty years ago when I had a few, mostly .270 WM.

Not sure about now, but the Vanguards used to be a dressed up Howa, aka S&W 1500, Mossberg and probably a few others.

Robert

Boolit Master

Carrumba - didn't I say WEATHERBY?? MARK V...
    And I'll tell him about Midway - he probably knows it, and already has a couple boxes that came with the gun, and a few more once-fired I got from a member in LA.
    I guess confusion came from heading on OP - since I bought the mold to make boolits for him (so he could shoot cheaper, for practice), I bought a 783 in 7mm Rem Mag for my own enjoyment. Should have pointed that out - my bad.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

shooting a weatherby cartridge with cast boolits.
    old Roy is having a brainurism right about now.
    and Elmer is laughing his self into a coughing fit.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    old Roy is having a brainurism right about now.
    and Elmer is laughing his self into a coughing fit.
    Stuff like this is why some forums have a like button. Friend shoots a 338/378 Weatherby. His ammo a few years back ran $140 a box. He only shoots 2 sight ins and one at an elk a year.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Stuff like this is why some forums have a like button. Friend shoots a 338/378 Weatherby. His ammo a few years back ran $140 a box. He only shoots 2 sight ins and one at an elk a year.

There are still many hunters today that only shoot maybe 2 sight in shots, if that many, every so many years and throw the rest of the ammo box of shells at running animals. Our General Store sold guns and ammo. We would see and hear old timers talking about still using a box of .30-30 ammo that was bought 15 years back.Robert

Boolit Master
    I bought my 300 Weatherby in 1967. Ammunition was $20.00 per box of twenty and I negotiated one box with the original deal. For comparison, 30-06 was under $5.00 for twenty. Rifle, 4X scope, open sights added, sling and one box of ammunition, $500.00 cash, out the door. Decided to reload. Got all the stuff and found there were no (affordable) 300 WM brass to be had. Went and bought four boxes of 300 H&H ammunition, ran it through my rifle hunting Deer and then reloaded it (slightly adjusted) to my WM specs. This rifle is my main hunting rifle so I have not put thousands of rounds through it and I still have some of those re-purposed 300 H&H brass in service. I am retiring them now as I do not want to pass them on to my son due to the difference (small though it is) in the charge I use.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Old roy is having a brainurism right about now.
    And elmer is laughing his self into a coughing fit.
    like !