WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Getting rid' of PC colors that have outlived their stay

Boolit Master

'Getting rid' of PC colors that have outlived their stay

Seems I went in for the bright colorful colors when I started: red, yellow greens (zombie as well as John Deere) and so forth.

They worked well but after a time I wanted to stick with the more 'adult' serious colors:

Dark colors, with large amount of brown/black in them; something that would stand out when put in bright shiny brass cases.

Plus I'm cheap

So what I have been doing is adding some of the bright colors into the black and blues and getting those muted hues I now like (who knows what I'll like in 6 months?) When you hold them up to the light they will show some of the 'fun colors' but still be a good contrast to wet tumbled brass.

This makes the powder go farther and I can change the colors a bit as I shake and bake just by adding a teaspoon of this or that to the mix.

cast 25 lbs of 200 gr 45 Colt Monday
    PC them yesterday
    off to size them right now
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

More often than not, when I start mixing colors, I end up with some sort of ugly puke green brown shade.

Attachment 180837Better get yourself a color wheel there boys and figure out some new predictable colors instead of just throwing them together and hoping for something...like day old avocado dip or mud!
    Last edited by OS OK; 11-16-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Better get yourself a color wheel there boys and figure out some new predictable colors instead of just throwing them together and hoping for something...like day old avocado dip or mud!
    Sounds good... Got a color wheel for what you get when you mix the Harbor Freight red, black, white, and yellow colors?

Muddy day-old avocado dip... Sounds better than puke green brown, I guess...

Of course, there's different color wheels for pigments vs light so you probably can't just use the HTML RGB values to create a table
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 11-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.

I took water colors for a couple of years by a couple of different instructors and that's all about mixing colors and different hues...I can mix 15 different colors of 'almost what I want' and still can't get there.
    When it comes to PC I limit myself to red, black and clear gloss...you can't screw those up too much!

Boolit Master

I took water colors for a couple of years by a couple of different instructors and that's all about mixing colors and different hues...I can mix 15 different colors of 'almost what I want' and still can't get there.
    When it comes to PC I limit myself to red, black and clear gloss...you can't screw those up too much!
    I probably should just limit myself to mixing black and white...

I tried mixing a "pink" for my wife and ended up with this:

But, we're probably a bit limited on what colors we can get just using the Harbor Freight powders since we don't have a blue to it. For the powders, we probably need the CMYK color model and although we have yellow and red will work for magenta, but we need a cyan (or blue) color for the mix. The "K" (blackness) can be achieved by adjusting the proportions of the black and white powders.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 11-16-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Attachment 180837Better get yourself a color wheel there boys and figure out some new predictable colors instead of just throwing them together and hoping for something...like day old avocado dip or mud!
    It's not paint though, powder coat is a different animal. I've played around with mixing them, and it usually comes out more like a specked finish because the powders don't exactly mix.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    It's not paint though, powder coat is a different animal. I've played around with mixing them, and it usually comes out more like a specked finish because the powders don't exactly mix.
    It's kind of like when you look at a monitor / TV screen under a magnifying glass. You see the separate dots of the component colors that make up each color that your eye interprets to be a new color. With powercoating, if you stand far enough back, it might look pink, but if you get close, you will see separate red and white dots. I wonder if with regular paints, it's the same except that each pigment is so small that we just can't see them.

NavyVet,
    In your picture the boolits look OD green.......

I get that speckled thing too. I have a tub of red, black and some clear gloss...one time it came out looking like root beer or something, but...since adding more as it ran down...well, it's not the same, it now looks like dried up buggers. "Speckled Buggers''

Navy that pink color I can't put a finger on...It looks more like the color of the lips on the last guy I had to revive (drowning)...I'd call it 'Dead Lips'

Boolit Master

JD green is all I have used and it is adult enough for me - it color matches my fleet of farming equipment.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    More often than not, when I start mixing colors, I end up with some sort of ugly puke green brown shade.

Those rifle boolits look OD green to me. I could live with that but I'm not a sailor either.

I have a very hard time getting Harbor Freight red to tumble with decent results so I do just what the OP does; Add the HF red to my other colors. It makes my 'good' powders go further. I get some weird colors, but I honestly don't care what color they are.

Smoke's Carolina Blue with HF red and Powder by the Pound Orange with HF red.

Carolina Blue & HF red with more red than blue. I found it strange that the blue still overwhelmed the red.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

'Purple People Eaters'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bfuller14 View Post
    NavyVet,
    In your picture the boolits look OD green.......
    Yeah, I keep telling myself that was what I was trying to achieve so that I could have some *stealth* bullets that could sneak up on the hogs without them seeing the bullet coming to them.

Boolit Master

I doubt any color particularly matters since the goal is accurate shooting without leading. I'd shoot Fiery Pink or Daisy Yellow bullets if they gave good performance. My bullet lube is pink. color means nothing. Shoot em up!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I doubt any color particularly matters since the goal is accurate shooting without leading. I'd shoot Fiery Pink or Daisy Yellow bullets if they gave good performance. My bullet lube is pink. color means nothing. Shoot em up!
    Ya can't really expect a real manly type man to show up and actually use pink boolits! Besides everyone know OD shoots better.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Ya can't really expect a real manly type man to show up and actually use pink boolits! Besides everyone know OD shoots better.
    I can live with OD but the pink ones would take me a moment to take a few 'cleansing breaths' before breaking them out at the cowboy range.

I always remember the really lousy colors get shot up first so I can be done with them
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Oh shoot the pink ones with pride just tell them its for breast cancer awareness.
    And who hates breast ? may move your status up a few clicks.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Bub

I really like this color. Mixing ratio?

Carolina Blue & HF red with more red than blue. I found it strange that the blue still overwhelmed the red.
    [/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast